1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got My Sammy

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by indie24, Apr 3, 2005.

1. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
  2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Told you it was easy :)
    good photos what camera did you use ?
    the Sammy is a great looking set have you thought of hiding all the DVD players ect in a cuboard it looks fantastic standing on it's own

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    I like the samsung, a very space age looking set. More of a concept set than a regular tv.
    Nice pics. :)

Didnt take you long to get on the HD route :)

4. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    i took the photos with my sony v1 5 mp camera. its very good has loads of manual adjustments as im into a little photography as well. i have taken the pc away and the reson why i got so much av equipment next to it is i cant afford any wires yet :(. there all too short. i will in the next coupel of months. i thought the image of the last samurai looked very good. will put up another one in mins. what u think of skin tones on samsung

5. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    the links :)

Attached Files:

6. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hey Indie - great pics! The samsung looks impressive - in both stature and PQ :smashin: How did you connect your PC? via VGA or HDMI? Also what resolution were you running?

Cheers
    KableMan

PS. Keep the pics comming please - how about some normal SD TV (analogue and/or digital) and DVD shots? So we can see the samsung's all round PQ?

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Indie

The skin tones look ok but if you look at the grass in your 2nd shot the greens are a bit strong. Try turning the contrast down a notch or two or colour. To fully appreciate these shots you nedd to see them in their original format and not a compressed one. The compressed formats lose all detail. I wouldnt be able to tell that Last Samurai is in HD from these pics, but I am sure the original pic shows all the detail of HD.

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a lot of problems taking decent photos with a 4mp digital camera & your photo's are better than mine with a digital camera.I think if you had a better digital camera or used a film camera with a good lens they would have been better still.
    Far better than my first attempts.
    :)
    Skin tones look good not as sharp a picture as i'm used to but that could be down to using a digital camera as opposed to a film camera & film scanner.

9. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    razor the second pic next to tom cruise pic was sd bbc 1 by normal rf signal. i agree the colour is a bit strong but i havent really done any adjustments. i will take a few more pics of sd signal and a dvd signal.

kableman i connected the samsung by a dvi to hdmi signal. i connected the tv to my 9700 pro ati card with 128mb ram. iused powerstrip to change the resolution to 1280 x 720 hdtv or dtv i think. cant remember. the res was def that.

steve i will try to take some better photos as these were taken during some sunlight and my tv faces the rear patio as it was really hot yesterday :) loads of sunlight. i will take some pics during the night will lights off :clap:

10. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will probably fine tune your set as you get used to it over the next couple of weeks ( probably days instead of weeks see you're using powerstrip allready:smashin: )
    On the Optoma RD50 user settings changing contrast to 8 from 15 & increasing the
    brightness & intensity settings to suit is a good starting point :)

11. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    steve using powerstrip i have no problem with, i been using pcs for years and building and problem solving. I work in IT. I will probably fine tune in hours i havnt got up of the sofas while i got the tv. Will put some more images up tonight

12. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you need powerstrip to get 1280X720 with the DVI/HDMI input & can you get rid of any overscan with powerstrip. I get a 1% overscan with DVI using the ATI drivers.

You might find you can take a sharper picture using a smaller aperture f8 say with a longer exposure & setting the zoom to around 50mm it works with my film camera & Tokina AT-X pro 28-80mm zoom if i use f2:8 & the telephoto end the photo's are a lot softer, might not work for digital but worth trying. :)

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432

When I first got my RD65 I kept on falling asleep in front of it. I just couldnt bear to leave it. I kept on saying just 5 more minutes, just 5 more..... zzzzzzz :boring:

14. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    heres some more files, first 2 are eastenders, second is itv both are from normal tv aerial, then its face off dvd, then devils advocate and finally bad boys. i havnt touched the settings yet but i think someone has changed the tv colour settings

Attached Files:

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432

Nice pic's

You have the wrong aspect ratio on the eastender pics. :D

16. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    i dont watch eastenders so i aint bothered :clap:

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Hey nothing wrong with Eastenders. Its based on a True Story. LOL :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

18. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    wow i would like to meet the real dot then :clap:

19. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,682
    has the sammy 50 got 100 hrz screen ?

20. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sikenny no DLP sets have a 100hrz screen it's confined to crt sets & it's meant to make the interlaced signal look better, our DLP set's will be at 50hrz p Pal or 60 hrz p NTSC

21. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    Only partly true.

The reason for 100hz processing in CRTs is the way in which the screen is illuminated by a single point which scans the entire screen surface. The screen is only ever lit at a single pinpoint (plus an element of decay afterwards) at any instant in time.

This scanning process covers the whole screen during one frame (i.e. 1/25th second for PAL, 1/30th for NTSC). This causes very visible flicker.

Interlaced scanning reduces the visibility of this flicker. Interlaced means that the scan, instead of going top-to-bottom in one pass, does it in 2, with alternate (say, odd numbered) lines in the first pass, and then (say) even numbered ones in the seciond. Hence each "frame" is two "fields". And a field takes 1/50 sec (or 1/60 sec) to display. Hence 50hz (PAL), or 60hz (NTSC).

100hz processing doubles the speed at which the pinpoint scans the surface of the tube, which reduces the visibility of flicker to a point where practically nobody can see it. It's usually still interlaced, with each frame (pair of fields) displayed twice instead of once during it's usual 1/25 or 1/30 second timeframe. For PAL, then, 1/25 becomes 1/50, with 2 fields each taking 1/100 second (hence 100hz).

DLP sets do not scan the screen. The entire screen is lit, all the time. What single-chip DLPs do do, is alternate their colours (of which there are usually three).

In its simplest case, a single speed DLP with a 3-segment wheel would, during the 1/25 second duration of a frame, display 1/75 second blue, 1/75 second green, 1/75 second red. Add together to get 1/25 second per frame. However, as we all know, sequential colour gives people headaches and they see rainbows etc (well, some people).

So, for almost exactly the same reason (but brought about in a different way) as 100hz processing in a CRT, single chip DLPs also multiply up their refresh rates. By having more segments on the wheel and/or by spinning it more quickly, the 1/75 second per colour (or 1/25 second per frame) can be made to occur much more quickly. 6 segments on the wheel (still at 1x), for example, would give 1/150 second per colour, 1/50 second per frame (which is equivalent to 100hz on a CRT), and the colours that make up each frame would therefore be displayed twice instead of once. 6 segments and 4x takes us to 1/200 second per frame (each one displayed eight times) and so on.

So, in a sense, most DLPs (which are multi-segment, multi-speed) run at speeds well in excess of 100hz.

22. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel thanks you've explained a difficult process well,
    I'd add AFAIK that all the mirrors most of the time are switching on & off thousands of times a second to produce different shades of colours & levels of brightness.

23. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I am just about to buy a new tv and dvd, thinking of getting the SP50L7HX and a samsung HD945 dvd player, any views and comments would be appreciated. Some of the places ive seen the tv in have it quoted as SP50L7HXX, is this the same tv. also would i be correct in saying that the tv is HDCP compliant.

Cheers

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432

Just buy it mate. Good combo. I think Misty Cat has the same set up. :hiya:

Oh and welcome to the forums :smashin:

25. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

Cheers mate,

Is the tv HDCP compliant, any idea how long the lamps last for on average for a dlp tv.

26. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    yes the tv is hdcp compliant not sure about the bulb maybe 8-10,000 my guess

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432

Ditto :D

28. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheers guys :smashin:

29. andywilliams007

andywilliams007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know how much the bulbs cost for the Sammy?

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    They probably retail now for around £300 which is what most DLP sets cost. When it comes to replace them your set will be old news and you could pick them up for around £70-£100. I have had a crt rear pro and it is only now after 5 years (4000 hr recomened lifespan) it is startig to fade. I cleaned the bulbs last year and it gave it a new lease of life. I will look to replace the bulbs soon.