1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my Sagem HD45 G4 T2 today WOW!!!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by phunt, Oct 28, 2005.

1. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Like the topic says,it arrived today as replacement for the 2 old model 45's i had to send back because of sound issues.
    What can i say...this set is a massive improvement over the older model in so many ways.Let me list them.

1.The remote is now black and trendy with lighty up bits on it instead of looking like it belongs to a £25 asda dvd player.And also has miles more functionality like quick buttons to video and audio settings instead of having to go to the menu.

2.The sound is now working properly and has a richer bassier feel to it.

3.The white bar of light at the bottom of the screen that you used to be able to make out on black screens or viewed from the side is now not noticable.

4.Freeveiw is a cool feature.I would say that the quality is on par if not better that Sky+.Will come in very useful when im recording F1 and Moto GP and the missus wants to watch ITV :)

5.Memory card reader is also cool.

6.Picture quality is lots better on all formats.No flicker,no noticable noise from the proper veiwing distance and the frosty white is no longer an issue.

7.I've saved the best till last.There is no motion blur(oil Painting effect) on this at all that I've seen yet.This was a massive issue for me as it really used to annoy me.Some of you may remember i was the pioneer of this problem in the early days of DLP when i got my Tosh 46".Gladiator 3mins 16secs anyone.I ended up sending my tosh back because of this and was disappointed to see it a couple of weeks ago when i got my first sagem HD45 (black one with curvy speakers).So the gladiator test was the fist thing i did when i got this G4.And like i said it just doesn't do it at all and i was even more amazed that i couldn't see it tonight during corrie and eastenders because it was really evident on the other sets.

The down sides.......

There is a slight hum from the fan that is quite noticable on quiet scenes but im going to try and minimize this by putting some thin foam underneath the set.

I liked the look of the curvy speakers on the other set more,but ide rather have them working properly than not working.

These are the only negatives i have found on this set so far.I am so chuffed with it.It has more than fulfilled my expectations, and this is all before i have even messed with the setup.I would have no hesitation in recommending this set.And i would also like to recommend getting it from AVwow.After sales assistance was just as quality as the set.David is a star and really knows how to make you feel like a valued customer.

I will be trying out Xbox tonight and it will be interesting to see if i get any motion blur on tiger woods as this was quite bad on the dark green coarses with the other sets.
    I will also get some pics taken and posted :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hiya:

P.s i nearly forgot......Rainbows are still evident but even they are improved :)

2. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    any pics m8?

3. bobon

bobon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too believe the newer models are a vast improvement, i have the 50" and i love it, the picture quality is superb.However the "slight hum" that you mention absolutley ruins it, i returned the first one for this reason after 2 of comets tv engineers agreed it was too loud, the second one had six deep scratches on the frame so it went back and today i recieved the third set and it has the same "loud hum".Comet say they will try one more and if it sounds the same then it must be how it is supposed to be,which if it is i will be changing brand.I really hope i have been unlucky and have had 2 duff sets as without this problem it is a great tv.

4. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my 45 g4 today. Once set up on composite feed, absolutely excellent in all respects. Only slight gripe is mild fan noise as noted above. Oh yes and they forgot to include the speaker fixing screws. But basically over the moon with initial impressions.

5. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    How much and were from?

6. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    LOL my screws were missing aswell,but the speakers clip on without the screws anyway so its all good.

I got mine from www.avwow.co.uk for £1625 with free delivery.I believe Comet do it for £1599.

I wonder if the fan is upgradable???? because thers no way im getting rid of this TV.Its too good to be piccy over a hum...Just turn the fekker up :)

7. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys :hiya:

It's great to see some positive posts about this TV. I have spent a few months going through the options and felt this was the best for me, but keep seeing owners with issues on the forum was a little worrying.

On the fan noise, I've seen a few posts on this on early models so I made a point of putting my ear to the back of the display models and could hardly hear any fan (or colour wheel) noise. I wonder if this is because the display stands have carpet on them rather than a hard surface?
    I would definitely try foam or old carpet under the set before anything else. please post if this make a difference as I'll set mine up like that from the day it arrives if it works. I plan to order this week. :clap:

8. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I'll try felt under TV and let you know on noise, just a point though, the noise is no more than I get from my Tosh 34 DVd.
    I bought mine from John Lewis, £1,795 delivered, but, and this is a big but, it includes JLs 5 yr guarantee, so you need to add £270 odd to comet/currys and then JL are generally regarded to offer far better service and don't quibble if you have a problem.

9. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping JL will price match Comet

10. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there is fan noise. Its not bad unless the thing you are watching is silent. In which case you can hear a hum in the background.

Another thing to note, the Freeview is really excellent. This screen copes with bad sources so well. It really is second best to a CRT, in a good way - CRTs won't be beaten when it comes to bad sources. It's amazing, some Freeview programs look like DVDs. Ok, they're not quite on par but they're very close. Sharp edges and good colours, nothing to complain about from me. Bleak House looked very atmospheric last night :).

Only problems - Geometry (mine's being replaced on Wed), fan noise, dot crawl and speakers don't fit on perfect.

Oh, and I didn't get any speaker screws either, I don't think they give them nor do you really need them.

11. bobon

bobon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The hum on my tv can be heard with the volume turned up passed 50.When you consider that some people pay big money for speaker wire and connectors to get the ultimate sound, is it really acceptable to have any noise from a tv? ok i realise there is going to be some noise but not to this extent.I really hope i get this sorted.

12. maxl

maxl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Phunt

What is this TV like when viewing from a side angle? I had previously been put off purchasing a DLP as the way my lounge is shaped means that some viewers would have to view from an angle. When I viewed several DLP sets from an angle at my local Curry's the picture was incredibly dark.

Any chance you could post some pics?

Cheers...

13. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    check my signature for pics from side. I personally like sometimes sitting offcenter due to better blacks (on Analog RF).
    My silver HD-D45S had much less noise - first thing which i noticed. But fan noise on black is not loud either - i can't hear it on setting 10, but can i silent scenes.
    anyway , I am using PC almost always and it's louder.

14. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe its just with the new HD45 G4.

You've got the normal HD45 haven't you Snap? Maybe my next G4 will be different - it seems every Sagem is unique! ;)

15. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    gpcguy, I am under the same problem, angled viewing, check out the LG thread52" one, I checked that out in Currys angled, I moved the sofa's around they had there and it was still very much watchable!

16. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really wouldn't buy any rear pro if you are regularly going to watch from a wide angle. The G4 is pretty good from an off centre position, but if you move close to a 45 degree angle the picture is seriously degraded as on any DLP.

17. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cooleo, Yes, i have HD2+ HD-D45 (old).
    I might call SAGEM for replacement (dark spot on mirror) when i will be sure that they sold all old HD-D45 so they will send to me HD-D45 G4 :) (hopefully) as it gets better review by Phunt.

18. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Your find they have plenty of spare HD-D45 so you will not get the new G4 model.

When they give you a replacement it comes from a company in Wales who repair the broken ones and give them out as replacements.

19. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Graham,
    Can you let me know when they will be running out of stock ? :) I can wait.

20. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Could you tell me if you can see the picture weel from the seat here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19155

Thats quite a narrow angle, propably how I will have my TV.

21. syouens

syouens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm waiting for my delivery of my HD D45T from John Lewis. (£1795(

I phoned them and they have price matched the comet set which is £1599. They have added £20 back on because comet charge that for delivery.

What a result. :clap:

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I see the oil painting effect too, on my HD-D45B, but only on poor sources. On DVD it's a very rare occurance, but that could well be down to the fact that my DVD player outputs a 720p image to the TV, I think the oil painting effect could be something to do with the TV's scaler.

Doesn't bother me too much though :), I got the TV for a bargain £1100 :D and I don't see any other issues that have been mentioned, the fan is rather quiet, and the frosty screen doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact, it is only visible on white backgrounds.

I saw the G4 at comet, but thought the image a little softer than the HD-D45 (but only very slightly), didn't stay long enough to check any oil painting type effects though :).

Glad to see G4 owners loving their new sets :) if the oil painting effect really starts to annoy me, I may well swap it for one :D :clap:

23. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well after trying tiger woods last night im even happier than i was before.This game showed up the oil painting worst of all na my previous DLP TV's because of the fast panning while the ball was flying through the air.And guess what....not even a hint of the old blurry vision :clap: .I never thought we'de see a DLP without the blur because i thought that was just a characteristic of the format but sagem have got it spot on with this set.

24. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  25. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that this is at the exteme of angle before the quality becomes seriously degradated, but it looks prety similar to where our secondary seating is and my kids rave about the picture. Howvever to be sure is very difficult to say, I find that it's not a gradual thing, dead on it's perfect, move slightly to the side it remains very good, and then at a point it becomes poor.

I can only suggest walking around one at local store. but remember to walk about hunched up, because vertitcal distortion is worse on sagem than horizonal

26. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Here is a strange one for you :) I just played Gladiator at the scene where many people mention the oil painting effect, and.............it's not visible on my set :eek: :confused:

I also turned the DNR off on the scart channel that Sky is connected too, and the oil painting effect was virtually gone from there too :confused: mind you, I had to endure blocky low bitrate artifacts so just turned it back to 1 on the DNR setting as it is less distracting.

Again, everything seems fine on a good high quality broadcast.

I'm wondering if the scaler really is the issue here, I don't see the oil painting effect on DVD on 720p output, and only ever see this phenomenon on standard broadcasts (albeit rarely).

I'm going to run some tests later today to see if 576p feeds from the DVD player reintroduce the oil painting effect.

27. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    LOL, I meant can you see the TV properly if you sit on the seat that I showed in the picture?

28. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That picture was taken from approx. 30 deg. off-center.
    I found it OK up to 60 deg off center. It is loosing the brightness and colors gradually first 20-30 deg but then it's consistent and whatchable.
    I can see the picture even from the side at 80 deg.
    But hten again, that's OK for watching TV shows, news, old movies on RF e.t.c.
    I wouldn't watch DVD or HDTV movies from more than 30 deg off center.

29. Bonky

Bonky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Got my Sagem HD-D50 G4 T2 on Saturday and I am well impressed - will take some photos soon and post them on this thread.
    I too have noticed the fan noise and it bugs me slightly, but guess what, the wifes says 'Oh, I'm sure we'll get used to it' - result :clap: Gonna try a bit of carpet underneath as advised - I'll let you know what happens.

I do have a couple of problems however

For two nights now I have put the set in Standby. When I get up in the morning the set looks as if it has automatically switched on but shows 'No Signal'. Question - Do you have to switch the set off with the power on/off button all the time or is there a setting I need to change?

There have been a few times when moving between input sources that I get weird and wonderful graphics on the screen (white lines, distotred graphics etc, however it does correct itself. Will give more detail when I suss exactly when it happens

PIP and PAP - got them to work eventually but a bit fiddly. I assumed you had to press and hold the 'FN' key while pressing the button to invoke PIP/PAP. You don't - you need to press 'FN' then the PIP/PAP mode key. Also it's a bit hitty missy getting one of the sources to give a pictute in PIP/PAP. When you do it's great......

Could do with any decent Image settings you have. I set up the 'User option for my preference but the wife said it was too dark. 'Put it back the way it was' she said ('Standard' setting on the set). I must admit it looks pretty good - any advice on set up would be appreciated.

Radio feature (shows a graphic of an old wireless while playing music from DTV) and photo viewer are both great.

Thats all for now - hopefully some answers to my questions today

30. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you have something connected to Scart like Sky it can bring the TV out of standby if the box turns it self on then off.

I had that problem with the HD-D50 and it was all down to Sky.