1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got My PSP!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by AML, Dec 12, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Hey folks, As I said b4, I had to get in line from Saturday evening and waited all night for a 7am opening!

I actually enjoyed the waiting and I met some cool people while in the line! An interesting experience to say the least, 300 people plus all waiting for the same thing!

At 6:30am they started handing out tickets and I received number 20! "Yes! I got one!" Was my reaction!

Anyways, after I got home I pluged it in in order to charge it, and ofter about 30 mins of anticipation I decided to turn it on.

I want to write a wee review if you dont mind. I actually have both good and bad things to say about it.

First, the design.

Cant fault it one bit. Its an amazing and beautiful design. The front is all covered in clear plastic and gives it a futuristic look.
    It has lots of buttons, the "home" button exits any applications and brings you back to the "desktop", the two volume buttons, up and down, the screen button cycles through the light settings. 3 brightnes levels. Even the lowest is still bright enough for most situations.

The shoulder buttons are also nice, clear see through plastic. Very VERY good design.

Next, I want to talk about the build quality.

This is the part im not to happy with.

(shocker i know :rolleyes: ) I dont know if its bcoz sony were rushing things or if they were trying to save money or what, but they certainly dropped the ball in my opinion.

The "D" pad makes a squeeking, creeking sound when you press left or right. Its the sort of sound you get from a cheap 99p controller. Certainly not what you expect from Sonys new flag ship product. (i feel the DS D pad is much better!)

The back of the machine, the cover you open in order to put in the battery, its bloody hard to get it to close properly again. Again, something simple I didnt expect sony to mess up.

Finaly, The speakers are ABYSMAL! Dont even bother switching it on wothout a good set of headphones.

Thats all the negative stuff I want to say for now. I just wanted to get it out of the way.

Once the machine is on, its a whole different story!

The interface is clear and crisp. My screen actually came out red, not blue as I expected. I went through all the settings, but I couldnt find any that allow you to change the desk top colour. Anyways, the menu interface is the same as what you find on sonys new TVs and the HD recorder PSX. one line of main options along the top and from each root menu, a line going down with more options.

The first disk I put in was the free demo disk you get with the machine. Its actually a good disk coz it gives you the chance to sample all the main functions. Video, Music and games.

When you put a disk in, it shows up on the sub menues. If you got to music, it plays a wee intro to whats on the disk. If you go in you get several music vids to play. Just samples.
    The quality of the video is AMAZING! and as long as you have headphones on you will enjoy the sound too. (again, the DS has much better sound through its speakers)

After that I went into the video section and watched a few trailers. Resi Evil 2, a new will smith film and so on.
    Agian, video quality is top notch. Still, being an LCD machine, you do get some blurry after immages on the screen when theres a lot of movement. But considering its Mpeg 4, I would say that its as close to DVD as you can get without it actually being a DVD!

Next I tried some of the games I got. Ridge Racer!

Loads instantly, so no problems there!

The soundtrack is really good, right up my alley!
    The graphics! Oh the graphics! :laugh:

It is VERY close to what the PS2 can do. I still felt I tcould be nicer, but then ive been spoilt by Gordon Freeman and his source engine, so dont pay any attention to me.

The graphics are amazing. And im sure they will get even better in the future.

GT4 will own them all!

Enough chatter, im off to play my PSP! :hiya:

2. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Nice :thumbsup:
    ...*Starts checking order status on psp at play-asia* :rolleyes:

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,068
    Now for an answer to the all important question.... battery life!

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Yep, that's the important one for me! I don't really mind too much about the build quality issues you mention (that could be just because it's a bit new) but if the battery dies after just a couple of hours then it can stay on the shelf as far as I am comcerned. It needs a minimum of 4 hours play time under normal conditions for it to be a viable purchase for me.

5. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
  6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Well, Ive had it for a total of......12 hours.

I charged it once and havent had to again, but then again i been at home so i left it plugged in. If you lower the light level and use the headphones, you can make the batterly last longer.
    I actually bought a second battery, effectively doubleing the battery life. Its easy to change. No screws.

Stop yer moaning! If you dont like the battery life, get a DS!

ehem, now back to Ridge Racer! :laugh:

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you had a blast on a DS yet AML? if so how would you compare them both?
    im interested in getting one of them but im still pretty stuck in the middle of each ones pro's/con's

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    It's not a moan really i'm not really much into handhelds but the PSP looks pretty tasty. I doubt i'll be buying one though as it doesn't seem much good as a handheld (3-4 hours gaming before a charge or batery change is pretty lame) and only seems worth having (a bit like the old game gear ;) ) if you are going to play it in the home. As I have a PS2 that works on a nice big TV there seems little point.

That said the fact that the batteries are easily changed is a good feature - as long as you get plenty of warning to save your game. Pro evo & GT4 on the move sound tempting but then again i'm not a commuter and spend little time on public transport so if I bought one it wouldn't get much use.

Looks a nice stylish product though and i'm sure it will sell bucket loads.

9. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Just got email today from play-asia i pre-ordered psp (basic pack) and ridge racer and ups delivery for £162 BUT as its short stocked they are today selling for £260 for just the psp and nothing else included :eek: .
    Think i'll play my Ds as not willing pay double price of my original order ive kept my actual order but until it goes down in price im waiting for now :(

10. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Guys,

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but now that someone actually has one of these the speculation all goes out of the window.

Is this PSP region free? If I buy from Japan, will I only be able to play Japanese games?

Can the language on the Japanese PSP be changed to English?

As you may have picked up, I cannot speak or read Japanese, so everything would need to be english. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Ian.

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    got an email from my mate in Tokyo this moring to say he had picked mine up aswell :) He got there at 5.00am and queued for 2 hours (that's what mates are for), cant wait to play Ridge Racers :)

12. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    The only one I can clear up for you there is that it is region free :) .

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Yes, the games will be region free, but video and audio content will be regionized.

Its a bit of a risk if the start releasing lots of good content!

I do have the DS to answer H4r7y's question. The DS is a fine machine, but I havent touched it since i got the PSP!

I will go back to it of course, but not yet!

The DS has lots of cool games and the stylus/touch screen system is very original and extremely fun.

However, the DS is aimed at kidz, and im 27 now. For me, the PSP is a better machine coz it offers PS2 like graphics and also movies, and music.

Its a well rounded machine with something for everyone.

The DS has limited appeal in my opinion.

BTW, Ridge Racer Rules them all! :zonked:

I cant put it down, theres just so much in there! The music and all the cars and race traks from all the old RR games. Everything from the first RR to RR5! Its HARDCORE!

If you get one game for the PSP this has to be it. I noticed that with PSP games, you can play the games in short bursts and continue where you left off. Its VERY clever.

Every monday and thursday I have to make a 1 hour trip there and back to where I have to work.
    Usually its tedious, but today I nearly missed my stop! :D

I think im going to buy some more shares in sony!

14. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Can the PSP still be used as a mobile phone, when the UK version is released?

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Hehe I will take a look in January. I have to spend 8 hours in Tokyo airport on my trip to new zealand :)

The screenshots on the thread Taz posted look awesome though!

16. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    What you gonna do for the other 5 hours? :laugh:

17. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
  18. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    as soon as i knew this was multiregion for games and you could change the language in the menu i wanted one of these on import BUT after reading reports of lik sang etc charging well over the odds i dont think i will bother and either wait for the uk release or untill the jap/us version gets more widespread.that is a gorgeous bit of kit though imagine playing san andreas on the move :).battery power doesnt bother me as i would rather play wipeout,gt4 or GTA for 3 to 4 hours than pokemon or mario everything for 8 hours ;)

19. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/whohe/pspwned.jpg

Bloke 1 with PSP: Can any of you see any display your screen
    Bloke 2 with PSP: No ive turned it right down to save battery
    Bloke 3 with PSP: Sorry got my headphones on to save battery did you say something, anyone got a plug

Chap with DS: im bored with kiddy games,im off to buy a PSP

20. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    :confused:

21. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Play my trusty old GBA :p

22. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Dean, When did anyone say it could be used as a phone?

It wont matter what country you get it from, its not supposed to be a phone. Maybe your thinking of the N-Gage?

The PSP is basically a Portable PS2 that can play music games and videos. Thats all. It can also go online through its wireless modem, but that might also be regional.

If it did have a phone function, that would most likely be regionized as each country has its own carrier.

Sinzer, You might not be able to get one at the airport, but if you find a Sony Shop you never know!

23. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont really get the issue with battery life. If you look at this thing its obvious you wont get 4 hours + out of it. Its got a massive screen and an optical drive. To get three hours plus out of it is good going.

Three hours battery life is fine if you can get another battery at reasonable price. 6 hours takes a big chunk out of a long haul flight.

When are these things available in the states. Please say they are available now as I am going to Vegas for new year and the exchange rate is wicked at the moment :)

For me the Ds looks like a GB Advance Sp with two screens. Personally I cant see why anyone would buy one but each to his own. Nintendo are in big big trouble with the PSP on one side and complete failure of the Gamecube on the other.

Just found out they are not released in the states until next March. They are multi region by the looks of it, no way I am buying one over here for £180 though when the us retail is going to be $199. Thats £75 cheaper at the current exchange rates !

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Yeah I guess Harris. I am warming to the device a lot and I guess the battery life isn't that big an issue if you have a spare battery or two. It looks very impressive piece of of kit though and if I had the need for a handheld console then this would most definately be the one I would buy. Whilst the GBDS also looks to be an impressive piece of kit with probably some decent games on it, it also looks like a kiddies toy where as the PSP looks like a cool & stylish big boys toy! I know Nintendo don't just produce kiddies games but they seriously are not doing their image any good producing a unit that looks like a 1980's LCD toy. Maybe they don't want anyone over the age of 12 to buy it... who knows?

Come on M$ let's have a handheld X-Box that connects to live via your 3g mobile phone :D :thumbsup:

25. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Therre was speculation that it could be used as a mobile during designing stages, it doesn't really bother me if it hasn't as i've already pre-ordered but that would be the dogs nads if it could do that as well :D

Oh and i found a pic of a silver PSP too, so at least there's the choice.. though i still think black looks better..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    I want one a white one like the original ipod. :)

27. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mmm screen looks massive. WHat a cool toy to carry round with you.

28. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    [​IMG]

:devil:

29. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    That white one looks tight!

Looks like the white PS2 controller!

See those little oval dots under the the "x" button and the analog button? (just off the Bottom left and right corners of the screen)

Those are the speakers!

30. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    pure white is lovely that silver on the other hand lol looks like a cheap mobile phone 3rd party cover pmsl.