1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my Panasonic 37pw5!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sarll, Feb 14, 2003.

1. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hooray

After a long 6 months of reading these forums /saving, I finally own a plasma! (god that feels good!). Ordered it on Monday and it came yesterday - great service as I was told to wait at least 4 weeks! Trouble is as it came so early I haven't received my wall bracket or JS VGA box yet.. Still managed to hook up to DVD's and I am well impressed - certainly beats my old 21" sony CRT!

Anyway thanks for all your help guys in answering my novice questions - it was a great help!

Regards

Marcus

2. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Congrats m8,

I,m still lurking here after months and months waiting to take the plunge!

Deks

3. dacco

dacco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Congrats marcus,
    As with deks im still lurking as well.Seem to have got my heart set on a 37pw5 as well.....but i have a couple of questions for you....it is ,as i understand most if not all plasmas make a buzzing noise do you find this intrusive when watching the unit.(is it any less than the 42pw5)I have noted that some people are turning their recievers up to make it less of a problem,but as i would like to keep on the good side of my neighbours I dont think this is a option.
    :rolleyes:
    And why did you choose the js adpter and if you've now got it would you recommend it.?
    Regards

Dave...

4. Hinch

Hinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dacco Ive just received my Panasonic 37 and I cant here a thing. Call me deaf but theres no discernable buzzing unless you put your ear right next to the vent holes at the back.

5. lizaradley

lizaradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can hear a buzz on my Panny 37" but it's not that obtrusive.

6. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It seems to me after reading a lot of posts on the subject that the plasmas themselves appear to have differing buzz levels amongst the same models. Also some people are more sensitive to the noise than others. I suppose once you know its there it becomes more obvious.

I intend taking the plunge very shortly but havn't a clue yet which i'm going for. I am waiting to hear some reviews of the new Fujitus before starting auditioning.

All the best

Deks

Philips 36" CRT.
    Denon 3801 (will upgrade to 3803 when i get the Plasma)
    Definative Technology 80 speaker system (I like these)
    $ky
    Tivo
    Sony 300 DVD (looking at replacing with Philips 963SA)
    JVC1000EK DVHS (fantastic piece of kit)

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I can only hear my plasma buzz if I really listen. At normal volume I can not hear a buzz even close to the plasma. I have heard other identicle units buzz louder, but never really that loud. Maybe I have just been lucky!

Well if you spend around 3k on the screen why cut corners on a cable/converter. The JS boxes are without any doubt the best adapters available.

Mark.

8. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I can honestly say that I haven't heard a noise from my panel at all - and neither has the girlfriend (and believe me if there was a noise she'd hear it!). I believe this screen doesn't have a fan. When i turn it on there is brief click and hum (like when you turn on a pc monitor) but that lasts only a second.

I chose the JS box mainly through all the positive posts on this board and because JS himself was very helpful in answering my questions (delivery from JS is also very prompt). In the end I had to get the best PQ I could (SKY), which meant no tuner and a toss up between JS VGA and COMPONENT boxes. VGA apparently gives the best picture so I went for that. And I have to say PQ on the whole is very impressive.

Marcus

9. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Congrats!

10. dacco

dacco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks to those who replied to my post... certainly cleared-up one point...... JS Scart/vga adapter on the shopping list ...:smashin: and as for the plasma buzz I think some lengthy auditioning is required, probably still plump for the 37PW5 though and take a chance....... when the moneys there:boring:

once again congrats marcus......

11. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Another thing people may find helpful is that i've not noticed any lip-sync issues on either DVD's or SKY. I've looked pretty hard as well.

12. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    I noticed lyp synch problems on sky news simply through my standard crt television with freeview.

Not sure if its anything special with plasma screens

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Well if you haven't noticed it yet then you are lucky and I would strongly suggest you don't try to see it. Once you have noticed it you will almost certenly always will and it becomes VERY anoying. :mad:

Mark.

14. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I am probably going to take the plunge with a 37" Panny in the next few weeks. My worry too has been the reports about noise. In fact we have this problem whenever we buy a new TV. Like Sarll I never 'hear' TV,s (if you follow me) but my girl friend can hear a background buzz from most TV,s, especially big ones, sometimes even when they are on standby. I know she can hear our current 36" Panny CRT.
    Perhaps some women have more sensitive hearing at some frequencies than men.

15. dacco

dacco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    originally posted by marke19
    Looks like its a digital source problem only,although never had any problems with DVD. Whilst watching beeb2 the other night I definately had lip sync probs viewing via a panny tuct20 freeview box and crt. Switched over to the crt's analogue tuner no problems.....all other digital channels seemed ok.This leads me to believe that its a broadcast quality problem(sky/freeview) and not a sole plasma/eqipment issue.

originally posted by richard46
    Looks like your in the same boat as me.....plenty of auditioning:boring: . All people are different, in that they have differing threshholds to intrusive noise(plasma buzz)....also, I dont think this is a panny problem only....but affects most makes of plasma to a lesser or greater extent.But I must say thay that the posts on this thread are very encouraging regarding 37pw5 and the dredded buzz...
    Dont forget to let us know how you get on.:smashin:

P.S just found this link in the "service menu info wanted" sticky at the top of the forum.....

regards
    Dave