1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my new toy - Denon DHT-500SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Judders, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took delivery of my DHT-500 today, all hooked up and ready to go. Just waiting for the missus to go out in ten minutes time, then I can give it a full test :smashin:

I'll post my first impressions later when I've finished playin'.

Anyone got any top-tips for a new owner? All looks fairly straight forward, but there's nothing like learning from other peoples mistakes. :)

2. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I should hopefully be a new owner this thursday :rotfl: :clap:

So any replies should be useful. However my only concern is mounting these speakers on speaker stands. I wont be drilling holes in my wall for speaker brackets so i will need stands. Although, i understand the mounts on the speakers and underneath, therefore severly limiting me on my choice of stands. And realistically i cannot afford 100 quid on the official denons, so cheapo solutions for at least the rear stands is required, any pointers???

3. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, after an hour or so of messing around, first impressions are - it's great!!! :thumbsup:

Tried a few DVD's - Blade2, LOTR and Charlies Angels2 to name a few. All with great results.

For the price, this is a fantastic bit of kit. I had concerns (prior to purchase) it wasn't going to be up to the job, but I need not have worried. A great purchase.

4. luce_ds

luce_ds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Judders, I was looking into getting one of these... where did you buy your's from and can I ask how much you paid for it?

I was thinking of getting the Panny SC-HT25R, how do you think the two compare??

Cheers... :thumbsup:

5. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from Peter Tyson http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ paid £420 (plus £12 for next-day delivery)for the multi region version.

Unfortunately, I've no personal experience on how the Denon compares to the Panny SC-HT25R. The Denon had so many good reviews on this forum and in the press, which all helped make my mind up. Also, I already have Sky+ and a Sony DVD recorder, so had no need for a Home Cinema kit with built in DVD recorder. A couple of other things, I needed progressive scan via component(not sure if the SC-HT25R has it?) for my recently purchased Sharp LCD and (here's the important one) my missus liked the wood effect on the Denon - so the decision was made! ;)

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jud

6. luce_ds

luce_ds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get one of the Sharp 32 ga4 LCD screens? As I am getting this (Should be in today or tomorrow) and was also wondering if it would be a good match to go with it...

7. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly did. Had my 32GA4E for a few weeks now and love it. I wall-mounted it, hid the cables etc and it looks great. Very happy with the PQ too. The progressive output from the Denon DVD looks fab, no complaints there at all. Only problem is, now I've got to take it off the wall to remove the TV speakers, wall mount the Denon speakers and hide all the new cables. A job for the weekend me thinks. I'm sure the final result will be worth it though. :)

8. luce_ds

luce_ds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great and I think the denon might just be the way to go as I now clearly know it works well... I wont be wall mounting mine just yet but I have made a shelve for it... Also I think my choice of colors wiill go well with the denon.. What you think....
    Link

9. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree. Looks like you've got a similar colour scheme to me and the Denon fits in perfectly. Here's a pic of my front room, prior to the arrival of the Denon. I'm gonna remove the TV speakers, wall mount the Denon fronts either side. For now, the rear cable will have to go around the door frame :( but I'm putting down a new floor in January, so I'll take that opportunity to run the cables under the floor then.

Attached Files:

10. luce_ds

luce_ds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look good, YOu have to send me a pic of all of it when you have your Denon speakers up.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

11. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks :) All being well, I should be able to send pics on Monday :thumbsup:

12. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  13. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yup, looking forward to your pics.

How are you thinking of mounting them?

14. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I got mine from Peter Tyson too - £411 (including delivery) and also free upgrade to multiregion. I ordered on the Sunday and it was delivered on the Tuesday morning. I had a couple of queries and they were easily contactable, eager to help and rang up to check if it was running okay, definitely would recommend them to you.

Also Denon responded very quickly to my queries about upgrading the system. They too were very helpful and saved me money by suggesting upgrading via a stereo amp and speakers to 7.1 sound (I already had a spare set).

I don't know about the Panasonic but all I can say is that I have only read glowing reports about the 500 and am well impressed with it myself. :)

15. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still undecided at the moment. But I'm thinking....centre mounted on the wall below the screen(small shelf? Set into the wall?), fronts will be wall mounted in the same kind of area the current TV speakers are, using the AVF ball/socket type brackets AVF brackets . Can't decide if I should get some Denon stands for the rears, or use more of the AVF brackets and wall mount them? I'll have more time (and a pair of helping hands) on Saturday so I'll decide for certain then.

Of course I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has some snippets of wisdom to share? Especially as this is my first 'Home Cinema' as such! :)

16. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Congratulations on your purchase of the Denon, I really don't think you can go wrong with this choice and price point. I've had mine a couple of months and it really does the job particularly well.

Every now and again I have a fiddle with the system set-ups to see if there's much difference in sound when I alter things and would be interested in your thoughts (i know room size and shapes makes a big diff for everyone, but it still can be useful in a general kind of way.)

One thing I have read is that the sound stage can be improved by trimming -6db off the sub-woofer, a couple of reviews reckoned that the default settings caused the SW to "bully" the other speakers and made for an un-balanced sound stage but this simple trim snapped it all back together perfectly.

Also, I'd be interested at what you have your sub-woofer crossover point set at - I can't decide wether 150Hz or 120Hz sounds better. Presently I have it set at the 150Hz setting with the -6db trim on the SW level and think that sounds pretty good (that was after the last two months having it set at 120Hz without the -6db level trim on the SW.).

Basically it's the fiddly kid in me not being able to resist mucking about with the controls but it's always interesting to hear what others think.

Anyway, enjoy your new toy.

Nathan

17. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :devil:
    I'm looking at this system myself but I'm no audiophile and know very little about this sort of equipment. I'm not a great TV fan nor does my hearing justify much much than a rag man's bugle played through a cleft palate. However, I do like playing, in a dilletante fashion, with technology and "boys' toys" in general.

To the point, I'm thinking of buying this Denon set up as an upgrade to my already over specified PC. The alternative upgrade I'm half heartedly considering is the Pioneer wireless 5.1 headset, that will set me back about £100-00 less. The thought of blasting my brains out in my study, away from my offsping, playing Half Life 2, or watching a DVD of the Glyndebourne production of Le Nozzi Di Figaro, is almost too irresistable. But £300-00 for a set of headphones...just for me? :clown:

So here's my quandary, I'm 85 percent persuaded toward the Denon 500SD, but I'm 50 percent open to persuasion and one hundred percent open to comments, hints or suggestions. Go on, make my accountant's day :suicide: