Got my new SSD in the case ....now what do I do?

motionman

Established Member
Reaction score
Following advice on a previous thread (Link below), have connected a Crucial MX500 SSD inside the case of my desktop PC. I have cloned the content of my HDD to the SSD.

Additional advice was to use my SSD for start-up and programs and my HDD for data I have about 500Gb of photographs, plus the usual documents that we all keep on our computers to store and access. I was advised to boot from my SSD as well (A BIOS change, I think?)

Having amazed myself at getting this far I now want to step forward safely so that I don't inadvertently delete my data files or any of the programs etc. I'd like some basic advice on the steps involved. Can anyone help?

• I'm running Windows 10 Home 64bit.
  • I have 16Gb RAM.
  • Currently, following the cloning, I have 800Gb used and 130 free on each of the two drives.

Last edited:
Simple option
1. Right click on the HDD select format NTFS default.
2. Make new photo folder on HDD.
3. Change the photo documents folder location and choose yes to copy/move the data from SSD to HDD.
4. Repeat as needed for music, documents.

If photo data still exists on the SSD after the copy to new HDD folder it is safe to delete it from SSD.

Many thanks for your reply.

Do I need to make changes to the BIOS (to set the SSD as the boot drive?) if so when?

Many thanks for your reply.

Do I need to make changes to the BIOS (to set the SSD as the boot drive?) if so when?
If you format the HDD it should no longer be bootable so the bios should boot from the SSD automatically.

Though not all bios are the same and if you want to change it manually go into the bios and change the boot order and make the SSD first device to boot from.

I've tried to start the formatting of my "C" drive (the HDD) but I get the attached screenshot. The system appears to not let me format the HDD whilst my PC is running from it.

Attachments

• 21-05-29 Screen shot - SSD installation 01.jpg
    21-05-29 Screen shot - SSD installation 01.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 51
You're still booting off the hdd. Go into bios and select the new ssd as the primary boot drive, the ssd will then become the C: drive. You can then check everything is correct on the new ssd, files and folders etc. Before reformatting the old hdd.

Would be nice if the OP updated this thread. A few thanks wouldn't hurt.

David, I have just finished setting up my new SSD this afternoon and I wanted to report back once this was done. Not being very experienced in doing operations like this, I have found it a bit challenging so I have worked cautiously,

So, many thanks to all of those who have offered advice, ideas, and links. It has resulted in a real whizzy PC and overcome some sound distortion problems that I had.

If you check out my previous threads you will see that I have always made an effort to thank forum members for their input. I note your comments but if you had been able to hold off a little longer you would have seen that this thread would have been treated in the same way. Thank you for your replies, they were very helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom