got my new lens

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by beachy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    i ordered the nikon 50mm F/1.8 D AF lens from www.waltersphotovideo.co.uk on tuesday at 11.00am and it arrived yesterday at 9.00am, i was very impressed with there fast turnaround so will definately be using them again.

so had a little play with it yesterday and was well impressed, i'm no expert on lense,s (all very new to me) but for the price £99.99 it seems great,so now i've got the lens for portraits what do you guys recommend for for landscapes and macro shots etc,for about £150-£200 budget for each, i took a look at the sigma 70mm-300mm F/4-5.6 APO macro lens at my local jessops yesterday, but it was faulty and it was the only one they had in stock (the zoom was quite stiff and the macro switch would'ent change over) so what else should i be looking for ? also i hav'ent got a clue about filters and what they actually do eithier, so again what should i be looking at.

all feedback as always greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    any feedback guys or is my budget to low ??

3. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £200 is enough, that Sigma should be fine. Which Jessops did you go to?

I would avoid the CMK one and head out to the larger store at Eldergate. Couple of the managers there are quite clued, they even use cameras!

Zoom rings are quite stiff on Sigmas, takes a bit of use to loosen them up that is no problem. The switches should not be so stiff tho.

K.

4. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    yes it was the one in CMK only because i happened to be near there at the time, i know what you mean about the difference in shops, i actually bought my D50 from eldergate and the guys there were much more clued up, just a young lad in CMK did'ent seem to know his arse from his elbow :mad:

5. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl:

K.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    if you wanted macro I'd have bought the 60mm EF-S macro instead of the 50mm1.8, as it can be used as a great portrait lens in its own right. Alternatively, as you have the 50 1.8, try some extension tubes from jessops, about £80.

The sigma 70-300 APO isn't really a landscape lens and isn't really a macro lens. Get it if you need the reach, and don't mind having a bit of macro (i.e not 1:1)

For a landscape lens I'd recommend something wide, like the Sigma 10-20. If you still have the kit lens thats good for landscapes too once you get to around f8 or f11.

7. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    thanks richard, i was just taking a look at the sigma 10-20mm and it has some great reviews, so will be going for one of those in a few weeks.

could you please explain what the extension tubes are and what benefit they have, sorry as i'm a bit green to all this :rolleyes:

cheers.

8. Valleyman

Valleyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    An extension tube is simply a tube that sits between the camera and the lense. Due to the distance between the camera and the lens you can focus in much closer than you normally would essentially making it a macro lens. For a 50mm prime lens you need 50mm of extension in order to get True 1:1 Macro.

Though image qaulity isn't lost, as there is no cheap glass in the way, you do loose a fair amount of light. Also some tubes won't light meter or autofocus (though autofocus isn't too important in macro shooting)

An other alternative is reverse mounting your 50mm which gives about 1:1 Macro. This method is probably the cheapest, but you loose all metering and autofocus abilities and some people are scared of exposing the back of a lens to crud.

If you were wanting a true Macro lens, by far the best value is the Tamron 90mm. Everyone loves it basically. It can be had for £225 on import, though if you went into Jessops they would rob you for £380.

9. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you weren't aware, the lens has to be zoomed out to between 200-300mm for the macro switch to move ;)

10. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    yes was aware of this hutters as i did zoom the lens out but still no joy, just basically a duff lens i guess, thanks anyway :smashin:

11. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

thanks for that imfo valleyman, and i will also take a look at that tamron 90mm, although i was always under the impression that sigma made better lense's or is it just this particular tamron is very good ?

12. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tamron 90mm macro got really good reviews. Sigma Tamron etc all make good lenses. Just depends on QC and whether or not you get a duff one.

K.

13. Valleyman

Valleyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Sigma and Tamron are roughly the same quality wise, but Sigma often have the edge regarding build quality imo.

Also Sigma have a couple of extremely strong lenses out at the moment, which swings favour towards Sigma. Their 70-300 APO and the 10-20mm are serious strong points right now. Their kit lense "alternatives" are also pretty good.

Tamron however have their own strong points. One of those is the 90mm Macro. It's arguably the best macro lens around at the moment, especially for the price.

14. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    beachy - the other option you could try which wont break the bank is a set of Close Up lenses like these - a guy on another forum I was asking about macro posted some pics using them & they were quite impressive - I have a set on the way from another site & can let you know how I get on (if you care :rolleyes:)
    Paul :smashin:
    Edit: Pictures with Close Up lenses are on this thread which is very informative on all things "macro y" - HTH

15. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    got the close up lenses through & thought I'd do a quick test ...
    Here's a pic of a watch as close as you can get with a 50mm prime

seiko 50mm_small.jpg

Here's a pic of the watch as close as you can get with the three close up lenses on the 50mm prime

seiko 50mm plus close up 1 2 4_small_er.jpg

Not to bad for less than £20 (?) BIM the images are reduced to fit here - the one with the three lenses on is maaheesiive in original size here on my Flickr page

16. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Paulboy, you've confused me there. I got some Jessops tubes, and I get much closer - with the 50mm 1.8 you're only 2cm away for it to get focus.

Here's the 50mm with no tubes
    [​IMG]

and here it is with all tubes on.
    [​IMG]

another example was my entry into last months comp - this is a filament from a lightbulb (not the entry, one of the other shots I took)

[​IMG]

17. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Richard - Hi - Sorry to confuse you! I'm not using tubes I'm using close up lenses which you screw in like a filter at the front of the lens - I presume you are using tubes which go between the camera body & lens? Hope that makes sense?
    BTW slightly OT - Despite uploading my images I always get a thumbnail rather than the image displayed in the thread - What's the secret?

18. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    oh, got you.

I never attach stuff. I just resize to the forum limits (800 longest edge, 200K) and then directly link from my personal webspace. Only a few meg, but its enough for this sort of thing.

19. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Richard - thanks I'll try from my Flickr page next time ... Paul :smashin:
    PS - The "Thanks" button has gone or I can't see it (?)