1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got my JVC 28 WF1

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BigLandman, Mar 14, 2002.

1. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pleased with the set, and recommend it for the money. However, the horizontal black bars on films wider than 1.85:1 are slightly curved. It’s a subtle problem, but it’s annoying that I can’t correct it with the service menu – none of the geometry options seem to affect the bars in the middle of the screen, only at the sides. Does anyone have any tips on dealing with this?

Also, what is option 1 (IF) on the service menu? I can’t figure out what it does.

Thanks

2. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BL, are you happy with the set overall?.

I think the service menu's of JVC TV's are great actually (very easy to use) and I managed to get perfectly straight borders in 4:3 mode (and fortunately didn't have any bowing in the middle of 2.35:1 borders on mine). The PL1 I owned dipped noticeably in the lower-middle area, but that was the only geometry area I couldn't seem to adjust in the service menu. I assume that it's the same with our JVC sets, although I didn't need that particular option in my case. Hope you find some way of sorting it though....

I can't work out what 'IF' does either, but mine says "TOO HIGH" (whatever that means). There are quite a few values in the menus that don't seem to do anything, so maybe the geometry can be altered (in the upper/lower centre) if you know what you're doing. I have a question though... In option 2 (V/C), you can change the PAL presets (contrast etc) and the 9th option is called 'Purity'. This is set to "OFF" on my TV, but surely this should be switched on? (what does yours say?).

3. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yeah, I'm overall pleased with the TV. The bowing is insignificant -
    a couple of mm on the left side (which makes the middle appear
    to bow - if you know what I mean)- and it seems I’m the only one
    anal enough to notice!

I've messed around with the IF option, but it doesn't seem to do
    anything - I altered the frequency and eventually got it
    to 'reference' but the picture was the same and it wouldn't save
    anyway.....

Yes, my purity was set to OFF as well- turning it on had no effect,
    though I've only adjusted it in RGB mode - maybe, like colour and
    sharpness, you cant adjust the purity in RGB?

The set does have the problems you mentioned in your other
    thread, though - very acceptable (and mostly hard to spot)
    dotting on NTSC DVDs and the small lines on PAL stuff.

As far as the small lines go, though I would be interested in any
    method of getting rid of them, they're not a huge problem, and
    I've found a way of reducing them! Here's what worked for me:

in the service menu, set 'vs cor' and 'v eht' so that they stretch
    the screen to their maximum. now, put on a 2.35:1 movie and
    use the V-SIZE option to compress the picture to it's correct
    composition.

What this left me with is very small lines (almost dots) on the left
    hand side, and 'softer' looking lines on the right, both of which
    are only present during dark scenes. a definite
    improvement.

Another small problem is the H-centring, which, when shifted to
    the right, starts to ‘burry’ the picture in the right hand boarder
    before the image is centred. This means that I can’t get the
    picture perfectly centred without applying some over scan. This is
    just nitpicking, tho!

Ok, if you’re still reading, one point about the 4:3 geometry;
    initially, I found it very easy to correct with the service menu, but
    the boarders seem to warp from scene to scene. a good
    example of this is on the 'Seven Samurai' DVD, where most of the
    film conforms to the 4:3 settings I configured, but scenes with
    large areas of brightness (such as a scene near the end with 4
    graves set against the bright white sky) bend the boarders for
    the duration of the scene. Not a big problem tho.

Overall, I would recommend the set to others. It would be
    perfect for people who don’t go looking for tiny defects in the
    video presentation (how I envy them!) and the price (at least
    from empiredirect) is great.

I like how the service menu saves the different viewing modes
    (and PAL & NTSC) separately, and it has options to sort out a lot
    of the probs that may be present in the TV when it first comes
    out of the box (mine had a bit too much green in the picture,
    which was very easily rectified)

Also, I like the stand and found it easy to assemble, even though
    the large plates of glass terrified me!

4. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info BL!.

Yes, stretching the image in the way you describe does reduce the problem to some extent, but they're still too intrusive for my liking (maybe because I sit quite close to the TV?). The only way to get rid of the lines completely is to stretch the screen to a ludicrous extreme, but obviously the image is then unwatchably distorted. In the end, I chose to sacrifice some image at the L/R sides. That way I could stretch the image vertically a bit more, but still keep things in sensible proportions (effectively making the borders on 2.35:1 material about half as big). Even this has its drawbacks because a PAL image starts to resemble an inferior NTSC one (i.e scan-line visibility).

I actually want the lines to look AWFUL at the moment anyway, as I'm attempting to get the set swapped. If, as you hint, it's a common quirk (that evidently doesn't concern most people), then I'm going to have to get a different model altogether (not just a replacement JVC). If Hi-Spek choose to dig their heels in and make me keep it, then there are a few other things that I'd like to resolve aswell:-

The contrast should be set a little higher in RGB mode, as the image is relatively dowdy. It's not 'bad' or particularly disagreeable, but it's not especially eye-catching or vibrant either (I'd LOVE to alter the defaults for this mode). Before anyone jumps down my throat saying "It looks fine on my JVC!", yes, I'm sure it does, but the difference in quality between normal TV and RGB images isn't quite the 'gulf' that it should be IMO. I've tried using S-Video for DVD playback (so I can at least set things how I want), but I wasn't happy with the amount of screen noise/fuzziness (something which is completely absent on RGB).

The other thing I've noticed is that vertical pans/scrolling are a bit wobbly. You'd be surprised how rarely a vertical camera pan occurs on TV programming, but the credits at the end of shows always make me wince. It's almost as if the text is having a race with itself, as the gap between each name will get bigger and smaller depending on which part of the screen it's on.

The 4:3 border fluctuations you mention are perfectly normal though. The same thing happened on the Philips 6005 I owned and the Panasonic PL1 I briefly had too. It's not something you should notice when watching the set in the ordinary way, although it is one of the things that bothers you initially.

I'm happy that you're satisfied on the whole and I think I might be too if I didn't love my previous Philips WS so much. Simply put though, after enjoying line-free DVD reproduction for 3 years+, why should I have to put up with it now? (on a more expensive set too!).

5. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops

I described my tip wrong! you use the two weird vertical settings to compress the picture to the max, then you use the normal vsize to stretch the ratio into correctness.

you still wont get a 'perfect picture, but its better (i do sit quite far back from the screen)

Also, stretching 2.35:1 movies too much will leave your 1.85:1 stuff with loads of overscan

Anyway, happy hunting (of the service engineers)