Got my iMac :D

Matt_

Standard Member
Reaction score
Finally got my iMac today. Went for the top spec 20" model. It's great, just been downloading a few essentials like firefox, msn messenger etc. I also got the Apple Care for £59 ish, Photoshop Elements aswell. It's really fast loading and love it!
Still taking some time to get used to the no right click and the fact its a bit different from a PC but that'll take time.
Just with we could have MSN Messenger Live with the formatted names and text.

of course you can right click!

Just go to preferences and set your mouse the way you like it,

and don't forget to try out hot-corners too!

Welcome to the family!:smashin:

I had to chuckle at this :eek:)

I had a friend over the other day who was having problems with a film on an external harddrive and freezing when playing the video files on iMovie.

When it came to disconnecting he watched in horror when I right clicked the mouse and selected 'eject'. His question was 'how come you were able to right click just then?' He's only had his iMAC for a few years - bless him :eek:)

I must admit though - it takes a couple of test clicks to get used to the fact that there is no button, you just have to click on the right side.

One thing I learned pretty late - I used to miss the desktop icon - until a mate pressed F11 - and clicking both mouse buttons together is neat too to see a minimised version of the open tasks and to switch between them.

Cheers,

Simon

What's hot corners?

In system preferences have a look in the top row under Dashboard & Expose, it allows you to open various things (e.g dashboard) if you move your cursor into a corner. Not really used it myself so can't say much about it

Will

Congratulations mate, I bought the same imac on monday and am loving it. It's taken a while to find my way around after years of pc use but i've not done anything i should'nt yet.

One thing i'd like to know is if there is a good email account out there to use with mail. I have a hotmail account but i'm not comfortable i'm downloading and setting up plug-in's and possibly having to buy hotmail plus. I have a virgin.net account as they are my isp but i wondered if there was anything better? I doubt i'll be buying .mac after the trial period is up so not keep to use that either.

I can highly recommend fasthosts. The service is great and you can use their SMTP anywhere through a secure login. £3.99 per month with 1.5Gb of webspace, mailboxes that allow web access. Tag on a domain name easily too.

www.fasthosts.co.uk

Congratulations mate, I bought the same imac on monday and am loving it. It's taken a while to find my way around after years of pc use but i've not done anything i should'nt yet.

One thing i'd like to know is if there is a good email account out there to use with mail. I have a hotmail account but i'm not comfortable i'm downloading and setting up plug-in's and possibly having to buy hotmail plus. I have a virgin.net account as they are my isp but i wondered if there was anything better? I doubt i'll be buying .mac after the trial period is up so not keep to use that either.

.Mac?

£55 a year, 10GB webspace, 1 master email and 5 aliases and integrates with iLife and Mail perfectly. The web interface is very good as well, so accessing from any computer is a doddle.

.Mac?

£55 a year, 10GB webspace, 1 master email and 5 aliases and integrates with iLife and Mail perfectly. The web interface is very good as well, so accessing from any computer is a doddle.

yeah, worth trying .mac for a year I think, simply for the integration to apps. You can also attach domain names to it if you have your own.

Just uploaded my DVD collection from DVDpedia directly to my .mac account from within the app, and now I can browseit on my iphone - fabulous and so simple.

£69 a year although i've not really tried it out yet.

I'll give the test period a go and if i like it i'll use that! ;)

I got my .mac from a guy on ebay in the US for about £39
(code only)
(also got my applecare about half-price off the 'bay!)
:smashin:

of course you can right click!

Just go to preferences and set your mouse the way you like it,

and don't forget to try out hot-corners too!

Welcome to the family!:smashin:

Haha I feel so stupid now!? Thanks. One problem I'm having however is there is a lot of glare from the screen, it makes black text look a bit dodgy. Any way to stop this, I've tried mucking around with brightness and the resolution but cant find a way to fix this :(
Matt

dodgy ??? ... do you mean washed out and grey-like ?

Have you looked at any of the calibration profiles in the displays settings ? sounds like wrong one is selected ?

Jon

dodgy ??? ... do you mean washed out and grey-like ?

Have you looked at any of the calibration profiles in the displays settings ? sounds like wrong one is selected ?

Jon

Thanks! That seems to have fixed that. Yes, it did look washed out, grey text was very difficult to read on a white background. Fixed now though!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom