1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my HD5 today - initial impressions

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dzysheep, May 27, 2005.

1. dzysheep

dzysheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the mail man in my office delivered the HD5 to me about 2 hours ago. here are my first impressions of the unit.

things i like:

1. size - i find it hard to believe how small the unit is. side by side with my ipod mini, the HD5 is shorter, thinner but wider. very impressive for a 20gig mp3 player!

2. build quality - overall the unit feels VERY solid. has a very satisfying feel sitting in ur hand.

3. weight - the unit is very light. i estimate that it is roughly about the same weight as my ipod mini.

things i dont like:

1. the hold switch - mine is kinda loose. anyone else notice this?

2. the usb connection cover - again the cover is very flimsy. it almost feels like bending the cover would snap it off.

3. screen backlight - overall the screen is nice. however, there is slight iirregularity in the eveness of the backlight. this is not very noticeable.

4. the unit smudges easily

Overall, i am happy with the unit. will do more testing over the weekend and update this post :)

2. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Re hold switch - agree slight play in it but no reason to think a problem.

Re usb cover. My first thought was "broken!!" - but it's similar to what sony used on the p7 camera (others too) - had mine approx3 years and cover still there!!

Re backlight - I think mine is fairly even - but (strangely?) I find it a little "too" bright!! Although contrast can be adjusted I cant "turn down " the backlight - only off!!

Re smudges - I've actually left the couple of screen protectors in place !! Can still read screen and button all work !!??

PS Monitoring the "broken key " threads closely!! My hd5 is black - no probs so far ( but only 3 days so far!!)

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm not concerned about the backlight... if it was a digital camera or an LCD TV or monitor sure, but I don't really mind. I haven't noticed any uneveness on mine - try changing the contrast a little.

I left my little screen protector on as well - I'll probably take it off some day. When my hands get sweaty, it leaves marks on the case, but they fade very quickly.