Got my E55 - Now have authoring problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chrisconnew, Jul 18, 2004.

1. chrisconnew

chrisconnew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ordered a Panasonic E55 from RGBDirect last week and when it arrived on Tuesday i set it up and irun some test recordings from my Tivo. Now i've had a practise i've gone to properly archive off some recordings from the Tivo using TMPGEnc DVD Author.

Now that i'm doing this i have run into a problem (another one actually - had to get rid of Ahead InCD as it was preventing me from copying files from the DVD-RAM discs onto the HDD). I have been recording some widescreen programs from the Tivo and when i've authored the disc to a dir on the PC and tested it with PowerDVD the video is now in 4:3 format - which is weird because as far as i know i haven't changed it - and if i play the original recorded video (either from the RAM or the dir on the hard drive) it plays fine in widescreen mode as expected.

Now i have backtracked and tried to check the setting in TMPGEnc as i go and i get to a stage where the video details are listed as 4:3 but i can't see where to change it. I've had a look around on the web, on DVDRHelp.com and other places but can't find out where i'm going wrong.

Pointers in the right direction or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Once you've authored the programme using TMPG Enc Author you can download IFO Edit to put the recording back into 16:9:
    http://www.mpucoder.com/derrow/

Step 3 of this guide refers:
    http://www.ghorne.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vidtest/169frame.htm

3. chrisconnew

chrisconnew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks very much for those pointers - i've now got everything working as i'd hoped which is great.

Only issue i have now is that recordings i make in SP mode are showing up as 352x576 resolution which i had thought was only on LP and EP, and on longer FR recordings ??

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    See my reply to your post on this subject - effectively this is just the machines VBR in action. It might be prudent to turn it off to prevent future problems. To do so goto Functions/Setup and set 'Hybrid VBR Resolution' to 'FIXED'.

5. chrisconnew

chrisconnew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i saw the reply in the other thread - thing is i had already turned that setting to fixed when i first set up the machine. I have now tried changing the setting to automatic, then turning the machine off, trying another recording and then turning it back to Fixed and doing the same but the recordings are still 352x576.

I'll have to try another test recording different source video but so far apart from XP mode i get 352x576 for everything else.

One thing i have noticed - don't know if it's the same on all E55s but the four XP SP LP EP indicators on the display ont he front of the unit are all red apart from the SP indicator which is white (well off white).

So at the moment my only way of getting 704x576 recordings is to record in XP mode - but of course if i do this 1hour will take up around 4Gb - so i can;t get multiple episodes on each DVD-R.

:confused:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    That's the same on all the Panasonic models.

Could be TMPG Enc Author simply stating the wrong resolution. Try it in TMPG Encoder 3 XPress and see what that says.