1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got My Degree Result Today...NOT HAPPY

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kopite4Ever, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    oh well 3 years later at l,pool (couldn't risk leaving home :D ) uni doing computer science and i come out with a..........2:2 ! to say im livid is an absolute understatement i dont know what to do with myself. i've been on for a 2:1 for a while and i felt in myself i did a good last set of exams. not 1st class material but 2:1 yes. now i think its down to my dissertation with my moderator not liking me from a confrontation we had previously had. now i get actual results on friday and if its close do i have the right to contest the decision and have some one else moderate the dissertation ??? i've just got a feeling now of 3 years wasted and going into the working world a little bit more down the ladder than i should be so to speak. this is basically i need to get it off my chest, it will probably sink in and i can make some sense of whats happening in the coming days. maybe i over estimated the quality of my dissertation and how my examinations went

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Whats the scale?

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    how do you mean. if you mean like percentage terms for each classifiction then i dont really know. i think a 2:2 is near 50-60% but im not sure

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Sorry, I was just wondering what the scale of marking was. Is the highest 2.1 or 1.1? I'm not used to the current scales as when i took exams it was A,B,C etc with + or - levels of each.

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    it goes :

1st
    2:1
    2:2
    3rd
    Fail - your silly

mum trying to talk sense into me at the moment ahahaha, just told the her im not going the graduation ceremony

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Conversely, I'll be ecstatic if I manage to scrape a 2:2 but still have 2 weeks of exams left.

Only forward. :)

7. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Ah, so the result you have got is not actually that bad as you have still passed the coursework then.

I have no understanding of the current workplace, particularly in that sector, but hopefully this won't affect your chances of getting the job you want. :smashin:

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    my friend of a long time got a 2:2 and is exstatic. i do take the pi*s cos i say he is on a dosser's course :D if i knew i was expecting a 2:2 id be over the moon. its a degree after all i just expected to see next to my name 2:1 !

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    steve basically from talking to people in the industry is the degree class will get you the first job on the ladder. from there its expirence after that. suppose the same applies to all area's of employment

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Says the man who just did a degree on internet surfing ;)

A 2:2 isn't that bad really. A few mates of mine got a 3rd, which is pretty worthless.

11. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yer i got all that back off him ;)

im agreeing with 2:2 isnt all bad its just not expected and im abit in shock. just needed somewhere to vent anger abit. if i find out its close to a 2:1 a new level of rage will be reached on friday i tell you that :mad:

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Don't say that. :(

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    im sure you will be fine pal. if you can create a firefox plugin some simple physics cant be hard ;) coming from the guy who did a-level physics and hated it :D

14. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Most universities run it as:

70%+: 1st
    60-70%: 2:1
    50-60%: 2:2
    40-50%: 3rd
    35-40%: Pass degree (i.e. no honours)
    <35%: Fail

As to whether you can appeal, it's really down to the individual university/college/faculty.

If you've had cumulative coursework, and you've been on a 2:1 up till now, chances are you're fairly close to a 2:1, unless you really slipped up in your finals.

See if you can talk to your head of dept about it, or your tutor/personal supervisor - if he/she wasn't the person you had the argument with.

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    You can always re-sit your 3rd year mate. It's not the end of the world!

I think you can just re-sit your dissertaition if that was particularly disasterous.

16. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    cheers, t-force. as i say i cant really do an awful lot untill friday when they release the grades for each individual module. for all i know i really could have messed my finals/dissertation and i didnt deserve the 2:2 but my gut feeling was id done enough for it as soon as id finished the exams.

just mulling over what present to buy myself for finishing this long slog :D any excuse eh :rolleyes:

17. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    resitting 3rd isnt an option to me tbh. i could waste the year and do the same result ! i need to work my 12k debt aint gonna go away alone plus my hobbies like LFC and home cinema dont pay for themselves :D need to start earning fast tbh

18. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    2:2 aint bad in Computer Science. As you say, you only need to get the first job and the rest will be done on experience. I haven't done too badly and I only got a Pass at HND Computer Science (1 point off a merit grade, how gutting is that ?).

TBH, I got my first job at BA by being able to talk about technical issues in a way that Managers would understand and also being able to prove I'm a 'Team Player'....managers love them two words.

True, I haven't been able to get a job in the banking industry which I would like to because they require at least a 2:1 from a red brick university and my course was at one of the old polytechnics. Still, can't grumble, only a few years after leaving Uni I'm working for a consultancy where I'll be able to get experience moving from job to job through my employee. Joined a year ago on a very nice starting wage too.

Chin up, sort your CV out and get on to cwjobs.com and totaljobs.co.uk.

Good Luck !

Richie.

19. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Just look at this way - You passed which is the main thing.Means you are no longer a knuckle dragger :devil:

20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Could you claim temporary psychological trauma brought on by the VB which suddenly appeared on your PJ. They may add a few %?

:D

21. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    you know what i may just do that. it put me off my exams. thanks for the comments people. been playing battlefield so it kept my mind of the whole results thing. think i may just go get pis*ed up all weekend think that will make me forget :D

22. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for that - i got a 3rd as did my wife. :mad:

The missus was told by her mother that this would mean that the best job she would be able to get was as a waitress. As she is now Financial Compliance Manager for a worldwide publishing company i think that means it wasn't too worthless wouldn't you say?

In my expereince, a degree of whatever level gets you a job and nothing more. I haven't used a single thing from my degree since i left university and learnt far more that has been useful to me from my first boss in my first year at work.

Kopite4ever - stop whinging. You got a degree, which is more than many people can say. Go out, get p*ssed to celebrate, and then come join the rest of us poor suckers in the world of real work!! :D

23. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I got a 2:2 in Computer Science from Sussex. My 3rd year was definitely at 2:1 standard, maybe higher. Dissertation was a solid 2:1
    Unfortunatly I, errr, had too much fun in the 2nd year. A low 2:2 brought my final grade down (first year didn't count towards the final mark, pity got a first in that year).
    Still, after graduating and having some fun for the summer (and Autumn) I got a great job at Reuters in their IT development centre. Great pay, lots of holiday and many many lunch time pub trips.

My 2:2 was fine to make me happy!

24. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    As the others say, not the end of the world. I am afraid that for your "graduate position" many (childish) employers will get sniffy about it. If you can amass some good experience in reasonable time, your degree will begin to mean less and less.

And dissertations make a big difference. Without it, my final BA grade is 68.7%. With it it, it is 71.3% and became a first so don't get too miffed just yet.

25. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Your final degree isn't done on a % basis. It's how many points accumulated you've accumulated over the last two years. You can roughly guess by your essay marks what you will get (if consistent), say 70% and above will get a 1st, 65%-69% will get a good 2.1, 60-65% a lower 2.1 etc. Between 50-59% is a 2.2. 45-49% a 3rd. However, this is muddied by exams, attendance (yes, it is taken into account) and any smaller exercises (lab tests, short papers etc). Hence a simple % is not applied at moderation and a grade point is awarded.

Employers nowadays are also degree mark savvy. Once they weren't interest in the mark unless it was a first, but now, with top jobs getting tougher to get, they are. They do ask the Unis if you got a higher 2.1 for example. I know, because one of mine did (and my old HOD at Uni told me! ;) ).

If you really feel hard done by kopite (although bear in mind we all saw your comments about not being ar*ed ;) ) you can appeal (if all else fails read your handbook) and ask for a second moderation, but it's not likely to change that much. If you do feel that strongly, then go for it! :)

26. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    That's odd- KCL give the grade (2.1 etc) and then give a percentage which is the median achieved on marked subjects. Obviously some bits were worth more than others but they still stick a percentage on the end.

27. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Do they really provide the median percentage? :eek:
    A weighted mean would seem like the right choice...

28. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    No idea, I did humanities not maths :laugh:. There is nevertheless a percentage on the end of my pass sheet.

29. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Depends on when you did it, and how the Uni does it's marking system. I was referring to our local Unis Tons. However, the points system is something that Unis are supposed to be working with now. :confused:

30. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    I agree! More than most people have so be grateful, kopite4ever