Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Got my 42PD5200 today!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by limbk, Jan 26, 2005.

1. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, after months of reading and trawling the internet and this forum, I finally took the big plunge and ordered the Hitachi 42pd5200 screen yesterday. Ordered it from NexNix at 11.30am yesterday and the screen arrived at 9.30am today. NexNix even gives you a consignment number where you can track your shipment on the Web. Can't ask for more in terms of efficiency in delivery. Paid £1988 including delivery - savings of £300 compared to RS. Thanks Andy from Nexnix for the good service!! :clap:

Took me an hour to set it up. Mind you this screen is heavy and I was alone at home. I couldn't wait for my wife to come back to 6pm to help me. I was like a little kid wanting to play his new toy :) I never knew lifting a Plasma Screen onto the Desktop Stand was so much work - I think I am feeling a slight dull pain at my back :( . But I think its worth it! Thanks to Alan who shared with me pictures of his 42pd5200 before and after unpacking. I would have had great trouble getting the screen out of the box if not for the pictures.

PQ is excellent - even out of the box. Initially, SKY was connected via composite input - result as expected was not good. Then I changed to Scart (RGB) and there was a noticable improvement in the PQ. The colours and picture suddenly became more sold and defined and more three dimensional.

As for my Sony DVD player, I used the composite input. Very good PQ. Changed to component inputs (paid £50 for the Cambrdige Audio cables from RS down the road). Slight improvement. Frankly, it is not noticable unless the picture is paused! With component input, there is more details in the picture. But in a fast moving video, I doubt I can see any diferrence at all!

My audio goes thru a Yamaha RXV 440 and Whaferdale 8.3 Diamonds Fronts and Centre and Tannoy rear speakers. Old 5.1 Yamaha amp but good sounding. My only problem now is that I have no proper place to place my center speaker. It is now sitting on the floor! It is not perfect but I have no choice at the moment. There is no place in my TV cabinet at the moment. Maybe it's time to upgrade my TV cabinet.

I have been watching the screen the whole afternoon. Overall, very pleased with the PQ, the quality of the product, the ease of use and the look of the screen. I was deciding between the Panny PW6 and the 42pd5200 and in the end I chose the 42PD5200 because of its looks, its HD capability and choice of inputs. IMHO, PQ is more or less the same between the 2 screens.

For those who are deciding to get the 42pd5200 - get it! You won't regret it. What I like about NexNix is that it was the only retailer which promised me next day delivery! :thumbsup:

2. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm glad you like it, it may be worthwhile posting an update in a week or so when/if the wow factor eases a little.

Have fun

Vileda

3. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good to see your happy. It's a fantastic screen, and give it 2-4 weeks (to bed in) and the picture gets better. If you can, you should give the DVI a spin, the picture is beautiful.

4. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Edinburgh 160,

Getting a DVI capable DVD player is probably my next project. I have to ease the load on the credit card the next few months.

Do you have any recommendations of any good and reasonably priced DVD players which has a DVI output?

5. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I am a newbie but am also about to purchase this great set, cheers for the review, it has helped me. As for the DVD player with DVI, i was looking at the Denon 1910, it's about £180 (ish), and Hitachi have it hooked up to your exact screen (i spoke with them for a recommendation). Pretty good value really. cheers.

6. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ...Or the Samsung HD945 - it has a HDMI port, and a HDMI to DVI cable in the box. Also about £180. I've got one and it's the mutty nutty's.

7. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I got the Panasonic S97 (£240) (multiregion). It has an HDMI port, so I bought a HDMI-DVI cable (about £25).

Picture is excellent, but remember you will need a seperate amp for sound as DVI is picture only.

I don't know about Denon etc, as I've never seen them, but speaking for the Panasonic I am very happy with it, and would recommend the player.

cheers

8. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all recommendation. Is there a noticable difference between component and DVI inputs? Currently I am feeding my plasma via component input and it looks great. It is doubtful whether I can perceive any noticable improvement with DVI. Will be grateful for your views.

9. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Well, hold on to your underpants - you are about to see just how good your plasma really is if you use DVI. Some people (mainly blind ones) don't like a pic from DVI / HDMI as it can look TOO good. By that I mean it looks very sharp, and can sometimes look a tad artificial. But if I was you, i'd get round to the hifi shop now, and buy one. Or steal it.

10. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, I used component when I first got the screen (even bought expensive leads for the screen coming), and was well pleased with the picture, but then saw DVI in a shop and needless to say I looked at write ups and bought a compatible player on the internet one hour later, and it's the best thing I have ever done.
    I think it's a personal thing, but for me the PQ upgrade was absolutely well worth the money. Recommended.

11. gedster

gedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you like it. I finally made the jump from CRT to Plasma following many good threads on this site just after xmas. Paid around £2000 for my 42PD5200.

Initially i wasnt totally impressed as the input from my SKY+ was a bog-standard SCART and my DVD's were played through my PS2 via the standard composite lead. Loads of noise seen.

I paid around £40 for an RGB IXOS SCART lead and SKY was miles better - well worth the outlay for a decent cable.

The PS2 now has uses an IXOS component lead. Again, the quality is superb for games.

My DVD's are now via HDMI/DVI (cable supplied with player) from my Samsung HD-945. This was the best move yet as my DVD collection has been given a new lease of life - the setup is that good! I have not noticed any major difference between 768p or 1080i - maybe its down to personal preference.

I've had my PC connected via the DVI input and set the native resolution of windows to 1024 x 768. I took the time to check out some Hi Def video demos (broadband recommended) and if the quality i saw is anything to go by, HD broadcasts and HD DVD's will go down a treat with anyone who has
    a screen capable of receiving them.

I recommend both the Plasma & DVD player to anyone looking to make the plunge...but beware of low quality interconnects!

12. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Excellent.... even more good news before my intended purchase, i just need to upgrade my Sony 725 dvd player to the Denon (or similar) to take full advantage of the DVI/HDMI revolution. cheers again.

13. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can somebody help me with this? If I get the Denon 1910 or the Panasonic S97 which can output 480p, 720p and 1080i, am I right to say that since standard DVD material which is available out there is filmed at 480, there is no point outputting at 720p and 1080i. For 720p and 1080i, we will have to find real HD material - which at the moment is very very scarce.

Am I right?

14. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Region 1 DVD's have 480 visible lines but Region 2 (PAL) have 576 visible lines. The screen resolution doesn't match any of the outputs so some scaling will happen somewhere regardless of the output you choose.

True HD material either 720p or 1080i would still have to be scaled by the panel but I think the Hitachi doesn't actually scale 1080i material it just loses a few lines of the top and bottom of the picture.

HTH

John