Got money to spend at John Lewis, what to buy?

b.r.franklin

Standard Member
Reaction score
My LG Plasma is on its way out, and John Lewis have offered me a replacement TV. The one they offered was a Panasonic 42" Plasma, but it's not full HD and to be honest I'm not keen on it. So instead I've asked for a credit note.

I spent an hour or so looking on John Lewis last night, at sets in a similar price range or around £200 more. Suprisingly I thought they were quite limited, unless you're willing to spend in excess of £1000, which at the moment I'm not (as much as I'd like to).

Surprisingly I thought John Lewis were quite limited, unless you're willing to spend in excess of £1000, which at the moment I'm not (as much as I'd like to).

With that in mind I've decided that I could pick any one of:
Sony Bravia KDL40EX403U
Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U
Panasonic Viera TX-P42S20B

Interestingly the Panasonic is a Plasma, which I thought were a bit redundant now. Reading around it seems that Plasma is still regarded as being on par and in many cases even better than LCD (particularly due to the viewing angle restriction LCD has). What are your thoughts on Plasmas? Panasonic still appear to be right behind them!

Any thoughts guys?

The Panasonic S20 is last year's G10 with HD Freeview.

Of those, I'd choose the 503, brand new and has 100hz for action like football.

However, do go to JL to see them in the plastic and decide which YOU prefer (and look at the full specs on the manufacturer's website) :)

Thanks for the help Vickster. Think I'll be going for the more expensive Sony then. If I can persuade the wife that is! :)

My LG Plasma is on its way out, and John Lewis have offered me a replacement TV. The one they offered was a Panasonic 42" Plasma, but it's not full HD and to be honest I'm not keen on it. So instead I've asked for a credit note.

I spent an hour or so looking on John Lewis last night, at sets in a similar price range or around £200 more. Suprisingly I thought they were quite limited, unless you're willing to spend in excess of £1000, which at the moment I'm not (as much as I'd like to).

Surprisingly I thought John Lewis were quite limited, unless you're willing to spend in excess of £1000, which at the moment I'm not (as much as I'd like to).

With that in mind I've decided that I could pick any one of:
Sony Bravia KDL40EX403U
Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U
Panasonic Viera TX-P42S20B

Interestingly the Panasonic is a Plasma, which I thought were a bit redundant now. Reading around it seems that Plasma is still regarded as being on par and in many cases even better than LCD (particularly due to the viewing angle restriction LCD has). What are your thoughts on Plasmas? Panasonic still appear to be right behind them!

Any thoughts guys?
I've just been going through the dilema of Plasma vs LCD. I decided to go for plasma as I don't personally like how LCD make certain things look artificial. For example when watching tennis it can look more like a computer game than video footage. This is just my preference though. With certain things though the LCD looks a better picture than most Plasmas, as becasue it's more vibrant it apperas to show more detail. However, this week I got to see the Panasonic G20, and the quality of the picture is certainly as good as LCD imo (and much better than the S20), without then making certain things look unrealistic. The only trouble is the hike in price.

LCD's do still have motion blur, even with 100HZ, as the refresh rate only tells half the story of motion blurring. The response time of the pixels is also very important (the smaller the better), and plasmas generally have a much smaller response time. I've read quotes of 0.001ms with plasma, whereas some of the best LCD's are only 0.5ms (someone please correct me if my decimals are wrong).

It's all personal preference, and also how picky you are :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom