Got me a budget, want me a LCD(samsung)

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Bunti, Mar 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Bunti

Bunti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Don't want to seem like a kiss a$$ straightaway, but i've had a lot of fun browsing these forums. Anyway on topic i've recently aquired a substantial amount of cash(for a 15yr old) and after much deliberation have decided i'd like a nice LCD to finish my room off.

I'll get straight to it. I am on a budget of around £500/£600. This is negotiable but i'd much prefer to get some value for money. On my wish list is: minumum 23" HD ready LCD tv and a dvd recorder suitable for the tv. If possible i'd like one of the two to provide me with some freeview channels.

I know you guys have wealths of experience and knowledge but i'm no expert on LCD's. I do know however that what i'll be using the tv for affects my choice drastically. Therefore here's my situation. I don't want a home cinema experience in the future, i have no plans in getting sky in the future, i have a basic laptop, a ps2, and will be purchasing a ps3 but not a 360. Basically the tv only needs a few basic connections, but pc connection is a maybe for the future. If you could reccomend a dvd recorder that would work well with the tv i'd be very gratefull. Won't be wall mounted or put on a stand.

Looks are important to me and i loved the latest sammys from the moment i saw them but if you guys can recommend the right one that'd be great. Found the LE23T51B for £420 and it really will help my budget and let me get a good dvd recorder. Sorry for the length, if you think i'd get more replys with extra info please advise. All help appreciated, give me what you got...

2. Genesis

Genesis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Check out LG for PC use. Can't advise you on model as the one I got is out of your budget but you MUST HAVE 1:1 pixel mapping on the PC input, either VGA or DVI.

Just my 2p worth

4. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Got to disagree that 1:1 is a must have for PC use.

Many sets are restricted by VESA standards to 1360x768 (including the samsungs for example). At this there is no scaling just a very thin line of unused pixels at each side of the screen which I find can not be noticed unless sitting very close to the screen. Thus in IMHO a lack of 1:1, whilst obviously not ideal, should not be a deal breaker if the rest of the set ticks all the boxes.

Cheers,

Neil

5. Bunti

Bunti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    But your 'very thin line of unused pixels at each side' and 'no scaling' comments mean that you are acheiving 1:1 surely? Otherwise the PC input would fill the whole screen, no? The LG has options for 1:1 for both 1360x768 (with the thin lines) and 1366x768 (the native resolution, but not all graphics card drivers provide an output option that is not divisable by eight).

How did you acheive that on a Samsung? With Powerstrip?

You will know if you're not getting 1:1 by displaying a pixel chequerboard pattern on the whole screen and you will see several fuzzy lines where the pixels don't match the input signal - try it.

7. Bunti

Bunti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok well not that that isn't interesting, but it's just i only have an average laptop and i doubt it's worth using the tv as a screen. So is everyone recommending the Samsung? IF so can someone please give me an idea on what dvd recorder to buy. A hard drive isn't important but i'd like it to have built in freeview and a component output.

8. Dogboats

Dogboats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was playing Half-Life 2 on my PC through the VGA port on my Sammy LE32R41BD at 1360 x 768 (1:1 pixel mapping using Powerstrip) and it was gobsmackingly brilliant. :D

If you play any PC games that will run at this resolution, it's definitely worth getting 1:1 pixel mapping from your screen. HL2/Counterstrike Source/Day of Defeat Source are particularly good because they support several 16:9 modes.

9. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,113

This is of totally no help whatsoever re your query...........

But I'd just like to give you a MASSIVE pat on the back and :smashin: for being 15 and sounding so mature in your spending decisions.

My ex girlfriend has 3 kids 11, 12 and 15 and they cannot ever save or hang onto more that 1p at a time without blowing it all instantly on sweets, plastic toys, or generally running directly to the shops to spend everything thay have on the 1st crap they come across.

So well done. You sound very mature and sensible for your age.

10. Bunti

Bunti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou, i like to think i am. I guess some 'kids' want differnet things although i must say neither i or my friends have purchased any plastic toys recently lol.

Looks like i've got all the info on the tv from this thread so i'll head over to the dvd forums for the rest of my spending needs. Thanks again guys, can't wait now:)

11. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Hi Giblets,

A slight error in terminology but I hope you will forgive me given how late it was :)

You are correct that I was describing 1:1 maping but not full screen. Let me therfore agree that 1:1 mapping is a very desirable feature and full screen support is not so important.

@Bunti. The monitor out from my Fujitsu laptop which uses an integrated Intel Graphics card was simply dreadful. A Dell laptop I had which used the same card was however excellent. Any screen supporting 1:1 mapping (thanks Giblets2) should be capable of offering superb performance as long as the laptop has the performance to match. Not a lot of impact when buying the display but perhaps one to think about next time you get a new laptop ;)

Neil

12. Bunti

Bunti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently noticed the tv doesn't have HDMI. Should i be worried about this, i am planning on buying a ps3, what connection will i have to use. Bear in mind i'm plugging a dvd revorder into the component connection.

13. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    As discussed over PM this set has an HDCP compliant DVI connector suitable for video use so no problems there.

Neil

14. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Yep, you've got that right. I still haven't got round to trying Quake 4 on my screen but it should do the job being able to support 16:9 resolutions and with full 5.1 sound it's going to scare the s**t out of me I bet!! :devil: