1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me a 350d - wht lenses you got?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by snelly, Oct 21, 2005.

1. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Last night I stopped procrastinating and finally chose to get an eos 350d. The only real contender was a d50 but because a few missing features (mirror lock, DOF preview and illuminated LCD) and the fact that I really want to be able to crop and still print big (the 8mp was also attractive) I plumped for the canon to be honest I think there is very little in it and would have been quite happy with the Nikon too.

I got the cheapo lens with it which is not all that bad optically i dont think (perhaps I have not been spolied yet by £££ lenses) but the zoom ring is not too smooth and the rotating front element on AF is annoying.

What lens are fellow 300D and 350D users using and how do they find them?

Particularly what are you using for the wide end that is not as expensive as the 17-85?

I am planning on getting

canon 50mm f1.8
    canon 28-105
    canon 70-300 IS
    when funds allow
    i would also like to get
    canon 17-85 EFS IS but this is a little pricey

Are there any 3rd party lens that work really well/badly with these SLR's?

Thanks

Tim

2. jenufa

jenufa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Im using canon 10-22, 28-135 & 100-400 and im very happy with them.But always on the lookout for more lol.

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I'm using Canon 17-35mm f2.8 L, 28-70mm f.2.8 L, 80-200mm f2.8 L, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 as my main lenses. Got a few others including a 28-135mm IS which is a really useful all rounder.

You should be able to get a used 17-85mm IS for about £350ish - dunno if that's within your budget?

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Like you I also bought a EOS350D about 3 weeks ago also with the kit lens.
    For telephoto use I picked up a used Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX HSM APO zoom on eBay for a good price and it's brilliant :smashin: Well made, sharp and fast and taking the 1.6 crop factor into account it becomes a 112-320mm

I can't afford the ridiculous prices Canon charge for new lenses but I do buy second-hand when available and funds allow.
    Don't overlook 3rd party lenses, just do a bit of research using Google and forums like this on any you are considering and see what the going rate second-hand is. Good lenses hold their value well.

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    If money permits, tomson's stuff would be my choice. But since it seems funds are limited, my recommendation is the 28-135 IS USM. The wide end would need your 18-55 until you get something dedicated to it.

6. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Just bear in mind that the EFS lenses will only fit a few canon eos models, 300d 350d and 20d IIRC, so only look at them if you're sure you're not going to upgrade the camera at a later date.

As for me, I've been looking for a new lens for a little while and was able to try a mate's 24-105L IS the other day which would suit me just fine. Just got to save for a little longer!

7. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187

ooh, what did you think of it?

8. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Bloomin lovely!

Excellent IS (I'm not one for carrying a tripod), Quick AF, F4 all the way to the 105 end, not too heavy for a long walk and best of all top quality glass! :thumbsup:

Let's just say it shot to the top of the wish list, and at £700 thats saying something. :D

9. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Once you've tried L glass........you'll never be happy with anything less... :devil: :devil: :devil:

10. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    :suicide: This hobby just got a lot more expensive! :laugh:

11. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I can recommend the Sigma 24-60mm EX f2.8 and the Sigma 10-20mm EX lenses. Both well worth looking at. I have an older Sigma 70-210mm from my 35mm EOS. Haven't used the 18-55mm Canon lens on my 350D since I bought the Sigma 24-60.

The 10-20 is a fantastic lens which I bought a few weeks ago and haven't had much of a chance to play with much. Wish I bought it earlier in the summer. oh well dramatic stormy winter skys might be nice..or wiiiiiide interior shots of warm pubs instead!

I didnt think the Canon 10-22mm was worth the extra over the sigma. The Sigma feels much more solid and is very quite.

These will do me well until I win the lottery and start down the route of the "L"