1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got denon DVD/DVDA setup, now want to add SACD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by graham.myers, May 13, 2005.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I've got a Denon 3800 DVD/DVD-Audio player wired through a Denon AVC-A1D amplifier. Considering its now approaching 4/5 years old I'm still very happy with my setup.

However there are titles now appearing on SACD that aint going to on DVDA, eg War of the Worlds in June.

So I want to add a SACD player to my setup but a) don't know which and b) don't know if it will fit.

does a SACD player require a 6-channel input like the 3800 does, or does it use an Optical input? I'm at work at the mo and can't find an online AVC-A1D manaul so i don't know if my amp has more than 1 6-channel input for me to use.

If I have to replace the 3800 I'd be upset - it wasn't cheap and I won't get near enough if I have to sell. So I'd rather add a dedicated CD/SACD player to the system if possible.

thoughts anybody? :lease:

edited: I have a 3800 not a 2800. dork!

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Sony do a couple of SACD/CD players for less than £400, cheaper still on ebay. Or a Musical fidelity unit, but they're crazy money!!

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    thanks, looked at Sony (and Denon too). The sony one says it uses 6-channel out for the SACD and digital for the CD (ie the same as the 3800). The Denon doesn't seem to mention so I'll call into SevenOaks tomorrow and pick thier brains.

If I have to get rid of the 3800 (boo hoo) I'll need something thats as goos as on the DVD front (PAL progressive, DVD-A 24-bit processing etc). Any suggestions - been out of the hardware loop for a while now.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Denon 2900 or Phillips 963.

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Thanks CJ, I'll do some research on the 2900. Any more suggestions?

6. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest, if you're happy with your Denon, a Sony (or Marantz--depends on your budget) dedicated CD/SACD player and, if you have only one 6 channel input, a pair of A/V switchboxes. I have a 480$C player and an 800$C player, each with a six channel output, going to a 1700$C receiver through a pair of A/V switchboxes from Radio Shack (horrors, I know). I've a/b'ed the boxes for others and myself--no one can tell the difference blind. Cost 60$C. Not all solutions need to be expensive.

Alternatively, Zektor makes a MCH switchbox for 450$US. I'd rather stick to Radio Shack.