Got burgled & now need new speakers...

ajkean

Standard Member
I came home to find my house had been burgled on Thursday eve. 50" plasma gone, Denon 10SE gone, Kef ref 203 kicked over and wrecked, 202c dented and damaged...

I know which plasma I want - Fujitsu P50 XHA 58EB; Amp will be Denon AVC A11 XVA, but I've heard (not literally) the 'new' 203's aren't as good as mine!? So, I'm wondering if I can't get my 203's sorted (and 202c) should I consider something from B & W. Budget for speakers will be between £4k and £6k depending on ins company. I've not had to claim for anything like this before and am wondering how much the ins company will quibble about the price hike from my 203's to the new 203's (£2k difference)?!

Anyone any knowledge or experience of these situations? And, also advice on B&W will be welcome just in case I can't get the Kefs I want.

Regards

Ash

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Sorry to hear about your theft....I can't answer your question regarding the speakers, but wanted to pass on my sympathy. You can save up for years to get your dream system, then some low life does this.:mad:

I hope you get a great deal on your new kit and hopefully no more hassle.:thumbsup:

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
I can only echo the above comments.

Absolute disgrace that people do this sort of thing and often get away with it:mad:

I am sure that your insurance company will only replace the value of the goods rather than a direct replacement, so if you can prove its all worth say 5k then that will be your claim.

I do not think that you can purchase a system worth 7k if that is not what your old system was worth on the day it was stolen.

Look at the same principle if a car is stolen and written off, the insurance company will give you a "market value" refund.

I am not an expert by any means but I do hope you can get things back on track quickly.

Wishing you all the best

Dave

ajkean

Standard Member
I do have a 'new for old' policy. The new 203's that replace mine are now £2000 more (can't understand that) so - on a new for old??!! I'll have to wait and see, the loss adjusters are coming on Tuesday morning... :lease:

ttdriver

Thats bad mate, hopefully it will get sorted soon though.

As for new for old etc, it depends on the insurance company. I had a TV damaged in a moving accident and the new model was more expensive but as it was like for like / new for old then it was replaced no hassle.

In contrast when my cat spilt a full cup of tea on my laptop years later I was with a different company. My laptop cost me £1000 but the would only give me £550 as you could buy the equivilant model for that price.

It may work in your favour it may not. What I would say is if the do not agree at first put a letter to the next person up the chain stating your point. If that does not work or they start quoting poilcy wording have a good read through your policy and if you canuse it to your advantage quote it back to them and threaten them with the insurance ombudsman, that tends to work :thumbsup:

ajkean

Standard Member
I'm glad that I'm thinking along the same lines of others... My 10SE was £1800when I bought it, the only logical replacement for it is the 11XVA, which is £2800 - it's not my fault that the product has gone up! On the other hand, the replacement for the plasma that I had is £600 less than I paid 30 months ago.

D

Deleted member 30535

I think as long as you get "like for like" then it really shouldn't matter whether it's of a higher or lower value than the original purchase. As long as there is real justification for the amp (some unique capability in the 10SE and the XVA?) then there shouldn't be any complaints from your insurer, unless of course there was no sign of a forced entry in which case they'll baulk at paying for anything!

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Thats bad mate, hopefully it will get sorted soon though.

As for new for old etc, it depends on the insurance company. I had a TV damaged in a moving accident and the new model was more expensive but as it was like for like / new for old then it was replaced no hassle.

In contrast when my cat spilt a full cup of tea on my laptop years later I was with a different company. My laptop cost me £1000 but the would only give me £550 as you could buy the equivilant model for that price.

It may work in your favour it may not. What I would say is if the do not agree at first put a letter to the next person up the chain stating your point. If that does not work or they start quoting poilcy wording have a good read through your policy and if you canuse it to your advantage quote it back to them and threaten them with the insurance ombudsman, that tends to work :thumbsup:

The Insurance Ombudsman is a last resort if all breaks down between the customer and the insurance company and often as long as the company have followed procedures then the Ombudsman rarely rules in the customers favour.

You need to have proof of purchase against a comparable product for that there is no argument.

ttdriver

The Insurance Ombudsman is a last resort if all breaks down between the customer and the insurance company and often as long as the company have followed procedures then the Ombudsman rarely rules in the customers favour.

You need to have proof of purchase against a comparable product for that there is no argument.

I agree that it is a last resort but sometimes the mere mention of it after getting no where is enough especially if your insurer chooses to read the policy to suit there needs and not your own.

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
I agree that it is a last resort but sometimes the mere mention of it after getting no where is enough especially if your insurer chooses to read the policy to suit there needs and not your own.

Yep could'nt agree more:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom