1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got built in 5.1 TV - is it worth adding a cheap DTS system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by CrazyHorse, Sep 22, 2003.

1. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I have a 32inch Tosh Picture Frame TV with built in 5.1 Dolby Digital and while I'm happy with the sound in general, I feel it's lacking in a couple of areas -

the centre speaker is often a little thin (although I can compensate for this by adjusting the levels of the other speakers)

the Sub woofer is also 'built in' and while the bass is generally very good, it doesn't have that extra 'OOMF' that I expected from the sub channel - I have it permanently set to 100 (full on).

The living room is fairly small - around 20 feet by 18 feet - and the sound on the TV is easily loud enough just at the 29/30 volume level, but I feel I'm still missing out on some of the low end effects.

So I'm thinking of adding a small all-in-one system with a separate sub woofer to my Tosh. I really can't afford to go the separate route at the moment - as much as I'd love too - and I'm not sure how much I'd really benefit from such a system in such a small room...I just don't think I'd put it to full use.

What I've been looking at is the LG FA-3000 Home Cinema Speaker Kit from Argos for £149.99. It has 5.1, Pro-Logic + Pro-Logic II & DTS and I've read a few very favourable comments over at the DVD Forums (even compared to the Videologic systems).

I'm pretty close to ordering this now, but I'd welcome any comments from the more well informed folk here as I'm no audio expert - has anyone heard the LG system and do you think it would make that much difference to my set up?

I'd certainly welcome the addition of Pro-Logic II & DTS and £150 doesn't seem too extravagant for these extra features plus a better sub - what do you think?

Any opinions welcome ASAP as I'd really like to decide this week if I should buy one or not.

2. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ive not heard it myself mate, but for £150 i shouldnt imagine you would notice that much difference to what you have got now.

DTS is good to have but if you dont have it you arent missing that much, Prologic 2 is quite good though and can add quite a lot to normal tv viewing.

I would say dont get it, save up for something better.

But its your call