Got an Infocus x9, dont know what to do next!

johncoburn

Standard Member
I have just bought an infocus X9 projector, the spec of which is as follows:

720p, RS232 cable, HDMI cable, VGA cable, composite video cable, audio jack to jack cable, RCA component cable for YPbPr, S-video cable.

I want to use it to watch Virgin Cable TV, DVD's, play Nintendo Wii as well as PS2.

The projector will be ceiling mounted, and will need a cable 10m long.

1) Should this cable be a HDMI to HDMI or another type?

Also, I havent bought a DVD player / receiver yet as im not sure if I will have enough inputs / outputs on it. I have studied online and know I can purchase a splitter;

2)do I do this or look for a particular type of DVD / receiver (I need speakers too so I guess its a home cinema)?

Hope this makes sense to somebody as it doesnt to a complete beginner like me!

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I have just bought an infocus X9 projector, the spec of which is as follows:

720p, RS232 cable, HDMI cable, VGA cable, composite video cable, audio jack to jack cable, RCA component cable for YPbPr, S-video cable.

I want to use it to watch Virgin Cable TV, DVD's, play Nintendo Wii as well as PS2.

The projector will be ceiling mounted, and will need a cable 10m long.

1) Should this cable be a HDMI to HDMI or another type?

Welcome to the forum. In order to run a single cable to the projector, you will need a device to convert the various inputs to single common output e.g. HDMI. If you don't have such a device to perform this video conversion e.g. a suitably equipped AV Receiver, then you will need one cable of each signal type unless you have a switch to switch the various inputs to a single output. The Wii can use component, so if you don't have a component cable, I strongly recommend you do for increased picture quality. The official one is probably the best but I'm sure if you search the Nintendo Wii forum, cheaper altnernatives may be found. The PS2 can also use component video using a suitable AV Component cable (optional). I'm not familiar with Virgin cable, so you would need to post details of the available connections. The DVD player will also depend on what you're using and available connections

Also, I havent bought a DVD player / receiver yet as im not sure if I will have enough inputs / outputs on it. I have studied online and know I can purchase a splitter

It is a switch that is required not a splitter as a splitter shares a single input to twin outputs.

2)do I do this or look for a particular type of DVD / receiver (I need speakers too so I guess its a home cinema)?

Do you have a budget in mind? Remember most all-in-one home cinema systems (with built in DVD) are limited in inputs and most do not have switching other than HDMI.

Hope this makes sense to somebody as it doesnt to a complete beginner like me!

Please post back with the available connections on the Cable box. If it only has SCART, then you would need to compromise the picture quality or convert it to something that an AV Receiver can accept. As you have an HD capable projector, I would recommend an HD source e.g. Bluray player or PS3 which would be a worthy upgrade to your PS2 and provide you with gaming, internet and high def movie playback.

Last edited:

johncoburn

Standard Member
Welcome to the forum. In order to run a single cable to the projector, you will need a device to convert the various inputs to single common output e.g. HDMI. If you don't have such a device to perform this video conversion e.g. a suitably equipped AV Receiver, then you will need one cable of each signal type unless you have a switch to switch the various inputs to a single output. The Wii can use component, so if you don't have a component cable, I strongly recommend you do for increased picture quality. The official one is probably the best but I'm sure if you search the Nintendo Wii forum, cheaper altnernatives may be found. The PS2 can also use component video using a suitable AV Component cable (optional). I'm not familiar with Virgin cable, so you would need to post details of the available connections. The DVD player will also depend on what you're using and available connections

It is a switch that is required not a splitter as a splitter shares a single input to twin outputs.

Do you have a budget in mind? Remember most all-in-one home cinema systems (with built in DVD) are limited in inputs and most do not have switching other than HDMI.

Please post back with the available connections on the Cable box. If it only has SCART, then you would need to compromise the picture quality or convert it to something that an AV Receiver can accept. As you have an HD capable projector, I would recommend an HD source e.g. Bluray player or PS3 which would be a worthy upgrade to your PS2 and provide you with gaming, internet and high def movie playback.

Hi Dave
Firstly thanks for a comprehensive answer, I (think) im getting somewhere now. The Virgin+ box was delivered today, its fairly much the same as Sky+ so it has: cable in, HDMI, ethernet, scart, optical and component.
From what you have said, i think i should run the cable box into the home cinema and then link that with a 10m HDMI cable to the projector. That will leave me component or scart for the Wii and / or playstation, meaning I shouldnt need a switch box?
Ref your question on how much for a home cinema, prob about £350 for a novice like me.
I've looked online and can get a 10m HDMI cable for £15 from an online shop, or I could spend £200, in your opinion would I benefit that much from a more expensive cable?

Regards, John

Last edited by a moderator:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Top tip - Don't edit your posts using word etc. otherwise they end up looking like above. Use wordpad or similar if you must edit it using external software.

For the 10m HDMI cable, I would look at something from hdcable or tmfsolutions. Neither need cost the earth. Both are assured advertisers and can guarantee the quality of their gear. £15 might sound like a bargain but.....

As I have said, in order to utilise a single HDMI cable to the projector, you would need an AV receiver/amp that can perform video conversion to convert the output from the wii and PS2 (component) to HDMI. Otherwise, you're looking at a 10m component cable in addition to the HDMI one.

I'm afraid that a fair chunk (if not all) of your budget would be taken up by the amp. Some of the cheaper amps available for £200-250 might not have video conversion so a 10m HDMI and 10m component video cable would be required. Do you have a Richer Sounds or Superfi near you so you can have a look for yourself?

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom