1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got an i-river mp3 player....now what?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by the_sanguine, Jul 2, 2004.

1. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I finally bit the bullet and bought one. What's the best way to load it? The manual only tells you how to record from an optical or Line input. IS this the best option (it will sure take a long time!), or is there a better way using a piece of software to convert an audio CD to mp3?

If "recording", will it be better quality if I record from a decent CD player rather than use my PC? Also, what is the best format to record in in terms of capacity v quality?

2. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I found Exact Audio Copy. That seems to work but there are glitches and gaps as the track plays. Any Ideas?

Also, can I change the bit rate that the tracks convert to mp3 at?

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    By the sounds of things the 'glitches and gaps' as the tracks play is down to jitter errors in your CD reader as it rips the disc. That's a bit strange as the big feature of EAC is its capability for doing excellent rips off dodgy discs and problematic readers. Try setting the jitter correction parameters.

You should be able to configure the mp3 encoding options somewhere in the EAC menus. It's been a while since I used it so I can't remember exactly how. You could also try CDex (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/) for ripping. It's a bit more intuitive ... but EAC is good for ripping scratched disks. I'm using it to rip all my CD collection for the iRiver.

Gav

4. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I changed the bit rate. It seems OK now thanks. It was happening on an almost new disc.

Cheers

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For possible future reference, it may also help to look for 'read speed' settings in your ripping software. Reading the disc at a slower speed just might help... :)