Got a Wharfdale 1710AF ? Please look in..

John

Picked up this little TV on Friday , I like it a lot but I may or may not have a problem .

I don't have an Arial in the bedroom , and no real way of getting one to it .
All is not lost as I have my Sky box plugged into it via scart. However , the TV seems to be in constant sleeptimer mode .
Switch it on , Channel 1 ( no pic just snow) comes up . Couple of seconds later it swiches automatically to Sky .
5 minutes later , it switches off :confused: .
The way round it is to switch it back to analogue TV and them manually select the source from the menu . To be honest , its a right royal pain in the arse .

So , is this auto switch off a feature of the set , Does it absolutely , positivly have to have an RF feed .Or is it a fault .
Cheers
John

Skeletal

Standard Member
Some tellys turn them selves off when there is no signal (I think the Wharfedale does; I’ve only just got mine so I’m still learning its tricks!). I have heard that in some cases the signal is the RF one from the tuners. Thus, if you don’t have an aerial, you don’t have a signal, so it turns off. This is very stupid of course, because it should take account of any signal…not sure if this is what is happening to you.

Mine's OK, but I have an aerial signal all the time.

Skeletal

John

Skeletal said:
Some tellys turn them selves off when there is no signal (I think the Wharfedale does; I’ve only just got mine so I’m still learning its tricks!). I have heard that in some cases the signal is the RF one from the tuners. Thus, if you don’t have an aerial, you don’t have a signal, so it turns off. This is very stupid of course, because it should take account of any signal…not sure if this is what is happening to you.

Mine's OK, but I have an aerial signal all the time.

Skeletal

I have attached the RF from sky to the TV and tuned the channel in . Still no luck . May have to take it back :( Shame , caos it suited my needs just right

John

Skeletal

Standard Member
I’ve just dug out the manual and on page 25 it says it does turn off after 5 minutes if no signal is detected.

BUT it also says “It is not valid in AV mode”.

It will also turn off after 5 min in PC mode (if no PC is detected).

So all that looks sensible.

Have a read of page 25 and make sure you are doing the right things (although it does look like you are!).

It looks like yours may be dodgy. Unless someone else comes up with an idea.

Skeletal

John

Skeletal said:
I’ve just dug out the manual and on page 25 it says it does turn off after 5 minutes if no signal is detected.

BUT it also says “It is not valid in AV mode”.

It will also turn off after 5 min in PC mode (if no PC is detected).

So all that looks sensible.

Have a read of page 25 and make sure you are doing the right things (although it does look like you are!).

It looks like yours may be dodgy. Unless someone else comes up with an idea.

Skeletal

I saw that , hence the RF connection , it still switches off after 5 minutes when watching sky through RF :( . There is a numer on the front of the instruction manual , will give it a ring to see if it is faulty ( turns out its an Argos number ).

I don't suppose , if you get the chance and have a DVD or something plugged in, you could unplug the RF feed to yours and see if it shows the same symtoms

cheers
John

Skeletal

Standard Member
Hi John

Yes, it was my intention to try that this morning...I was curious to see what happens!

However, a few unplanned things happened today and I've not had chance...indeed I've only just fired up the laptop to look at a few forums to see the latest news from folks.

I'll see if I get a chance later tonight.

Skeletal

John

Cheers mate , found another whatfdale post , asked the same thing on there :smashin:

John

Skeletal

Standard Member
I finally got to try out my telly with just an AV signal (from a video recorder).

There was no aerial signal present for this test.

I ran a video for about 12 minutes. Then I stopped the tape; this makes my video generate a static blue screen (i.e. with no picture and no text). I kept it like this for about 10 minutes. Then I put the video to standby; this causes the blue screen to switch off i.e. there was now no AV signal at all. I kept it like this for about 7 minutes.

Throughout all this, the telly kept on…no automatic switching off…even with no signal!!

I then switched to aerial input, which of course having no signal, just showed snow on the screen. After 5 minutes the set switched to standby.

A couple of points which may help:
1. When on aerial (i.e. snow on the screen) a small blue text box was displayed in the middle of the screen which shows a countdown timer, counting down the 5 minutes.
There was no such box when switched to AV which suggests it should not be counting down in this mode.
2. There is a “sleep timer” found via: Menu/Feature/Sleep timer. Mine is set to “Off”; I’m not sure what that does, but may have an effect (I’ve still not had a chance to read all through the manual!!).

So, I guess if yours does not do what I’ve described…it is probably broken!

Hope this helps.

Skeletal

John

Skeletal said:
Hope this helps.

Skeletal
It has :smashin:
I've swapped the set out for another , instead of getting a refund .
So far so good. no switching off . should be doing so about now , if it happens
Thanks for the experiment

John

John

Well , it worked fine out of the box , but as soon as I turned it off and turned it back on again the same old problem re-occured .
Spoke to a techy at wharfdale/argos . He said that I defo neded an arial that would allow the tv to sense a digital signal , and that I had 2 choices . Sort an arial out , or return for refund . Alledgedly it had been released too soon
So I'm back in the hunt for a 17in wide screen . Ho hum

John

Skeletal

Standard Member
Eh??!!:eek: :eek:

That doesn’t make sense!

1. Why did it work when you got it out the box?
2. How did I manage to keep mine on all through the tests…even with no AV input either (i.e. NO inputs anywhere)?

I wonder if it would work, for me, today? Unfortunately I’m too busy ATM to set it up again (ironically, I only wanted mine, solely, for freeview!!).

I take it you checked the “sleep timer” thingy (I still don't really know what it's for)? I’m just clutching at straws here, but the fact it managed to work for you once is a real puzzle.

I wonder if it is something to do with the auto tuner? You are supposed to have an aerial fitted the first time you turn it on, so it self tunes. I did this obviously…were you able to do this? Next time you turn it on, it remembers where you were before, so may be it gets confused…

Ah, got an idea as I ramble on…If you can get access to an aerial, set it up so it’s all sorted on even a poor digital signal. With the aerial plugged in, switch to your AV. Make sure it stays on for more than the magic 5 minutes!! (Or all bets are off). Having proven it can work like this, switch back to aerial and then turn the telly off. Unplug the aerial and turn the telly back on and quickly switch back to AV. This, in effect, will mimic my experiment because I did not have access to an aerial when I did the AV test, but it had been plugged into an aerial the last time I had used it prior to the test.

More rambling…you can use it with a computer and if it loses the computer signal it will turn off (I’ve not tested that either). So, would it also turn off without an aerial signal as you used the computer. Stupid in the extreme if it does!

Hope this makes sense.

Trying to find another will be hard...I looked for ages with no luck because I wanted widescreen, freeview, and to cost about £300. Although analogue telly is supposed to be turned off soon, trying to get freeview small tellys is almost impossible! John Lewis had a JVC (IIRC) but it was about £600, absolutely stupid for a portable (IMHO!). You may do better if you don't want freeviw of course.

Skeletal

Skeletal

Standard Member
Although I don’t have time to dig out my video recorder again, I thought I would just turn the telly on with no inputs at all.

When switched to AV (with no signal), it stayed on…for over an hour.

Then I thought it may be the very weak analogue signal I was getting on BBC1 (I had left the aerial lead plugged in at the back of the telly, but unplugged from the wall socket). I removed the lead from the telly which then meant every channel was snow, and they all started the countdown timer. As the timer progressed, I switched back to AV. It then stayed on for about 10 minutes; switching back to analogue again saw the timer restart from 5 minutes.

Nothing I can do will make it turn off!!!

But, the thought came to me: how about plugging in a short length of coax, “split” to make a very poor aerial. This poor signal was enough to stop the countdown timer on BBC1 for me. Perhaps it will fool your telly. Mind you, I am wondering if something else is happening to yours.

Skeletal

John

I think its because the digital channels can't get tuned in . Doesn't matter now anyhow . Swapped it for a Mikomi today . Don't think the picture is a patch on the Wharfdale tho :(

John

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom