1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got a toshiba mt-7 and ...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROne, Oct 4, 2001.

1. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Haven't got much time today, got to go out on a job but, purchased a toshiba mt-7 after owning a mt 1 for a year. Can't really criticize the mt1 for the money.

Have been looking at crt and may well still go their ultimately but for the moment extremely happy.

I don't understand why these later generation LCD are still a dirty word, anway the MT-7 is fantastic, running on a grey screen interlaced component from a tosh player.

There is no screen-door to be seen (it is a 1280x720 panel) and the picture is extremely smooth, contrast is excellent, whereas on the MT1 about 30% of a movie would probably go a bit foggy, there hasn't been a disk yet (although I yet to stress test it with dark city, but I don't care too much for that film), the mt7 has a specced figure of 400:1 but it visually seems better than that to me.

I have absolutely no problems with the contrast (as of yet) and I have scene a couple of decent CRTs. For me, and this is personal the mt7 was crisper, more vibrant and didn't contain the the smear that some crts seemt o exhibit, I would rate it better than the cheap CRT i have seen.

I'm starting to think I'm a LCD man alone in the wilderness....

It has a film mode which I can't tell whether is a pseudo prog scan, but it produces a smoother picture, however the scaler seems to be okay but suffers a little with a the combing effect of edges when rapid pans are employed - but not overtley so.

The picture does seem to reveal compression artifacts a little more than other projectors but I see this a limitation of DVD rather than the display device.

One pixel not functioning which is a bit irritating but, not to bothersome when you actually watch the films..

Colours seem pretty good out the box, no need to stress the contrast and brightness settings too much, with AVIA there were only minimal adjustments.

Oh the most amazing thing is it is extremely quiet, a significant amount more than the mr1, does throw out more heat though..

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ROne

You are not alone! I am currently deciding which projector to go for and the MT7 is on my options list. I am now seeking the best price, any suggestions? I have been quoted £3.7K. What screen do you use? Thanks in advance.

3. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I use a painted 'grey' screen and I got mine from sound and vision for 3890, probably could have got it cheaper but I wanted to walk in a shop and buy it ....

4. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish you lived a little closer, I live on the Derbyshire/Cheshire border. I deal a lot with S&V, they know me well. I had an MT1 demo'd last week but I do prefer a true 16:9 display. A couple of days later I phoned S&V and spoke to George who had never heard of the MT7 which threw me somewhat. He said he'd make enquiries and he would phone me... I'm still waiting , which is a letdown because I have been a good customer there. In the meantime I phoned Robert Whyte in Glasgow and was quoted £3750 for the MT7 ex stock. Now all I need to do is make up my mind but I'd like to see one demo'd first. Maybe a weekend in Glasgow, eh?

:)