1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got a sony vpl hs2 thursday

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by murph200140, Dec 14, 2002.

1. murph200140

murph200140
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've been reading the forums for a few months now , gathering info on what to buy .Finally took the plunge on Thursday and got the new sony vpl hs2 .My first projector and all i can say is wow !
    Managed to find a local store to match the internet price of one of the cheaper sites and got a good deal on the hp60 screen .
    Have n't stopped smiling in two days , just awesome having the movie's on a big screen in your own frontroom .Already watched JP3 , Judge Dredd and vertical limit .Already clocked up 9 hours on it , what with doing demos for mates and just playing endless bits of my favourite dvd's .The kids love it and even my wife seems to think it was good buy .Just brilliant , looking forward to watching lots of films over xmas . Cheers murph:)

2. 5_against_1

5_against_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright mate,

Glad to see you are happy with your choice. I have ordered the HS2 and am getting the 70" screen with it free, which is matching the internet prices.

Anyway, how have you got it all connected up, and is it just your dvd or do you have the tv etc through it? If so what is the picture quality like for other input sources?

Cheers

3. murph200140

murph200140
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have only used the s/video lead supplied with it , that goes into the pj multi connector and that is just from my samsung dvd player . Have n't tried the tv or playstation yet . I will let you know as we try out the other stuff .
    Don't know if the picture is supposed to be better if you use a lead with s/video connectors at each end . But I might get one from richer sounds and give that a go .
    Cheers Murph

4. 5_against_1

5_against_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, let me know what it is like with the playstation and the tv etc. I plan to connect the dvd, sky and the ps2 through mine, so was just wondering what the quality was like

Cheers

5. neo-uk

neo-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all I Own a HS1 and looking for a upgrade

I saw the HS2 and i have to say what a pile of crap its way to bright the blacks look even worse than my HS1 i tried all the settings and was not inpressed at all, yes its 16:9 but has less pixels

The picture looked good dont get me wroung but as i can see it
    the picture looks just the same as my HS1, the blacks are worse
    and to bright only plus point is its 16:9 theres no way i would buy it

The Sanyo Z1 looks far better which i hope to demo this week
    the (HS2 600:1) (sanyo 800:1) also (HS2 1000Ansi) (Sanyo Z1 700ansi) the sanyo will blow the HS2 away i know it even without
    lookin at it

Also I had a dem of A Sony HS10 mmmm very nice what a picture the pixels are so small not only that i did not think the blacks where that good untill i put black adj to high cinama black to on and then put the filter on with picture set to dym and there you go real good blacks and good picture dont get me wroung the blacks are still off black but its the best blacks i have seen on a lcd apart from the 12ht,

I saw them both together and have to say that theres no way sonys going to sell the 12ht at that price as the hs10 has just as good of a picture but the 12ht had slighty better blacks very slightly.

I am willy to get the sony hs10 its realy good but still going to wait and see the Sanyo z1

But i have to say the Hs2 was a hugh waste thay could have done better its just an hs 1 with 16.9

sorry

Meridius

6. murph200140

murph200140
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need to apologize you are entitled to your opinion .But for someone on a limited budget like me , jumping on the projector bandwagon for under £1400 is excellent .If I had the money believe me I would be buying a hs10 . So please don't and try to burst my bubble . :)

7. neo-uk

neo-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`m not m8 all i was trying to say is that the sanyo z1 is £1500 as well and i bet its alot better than the hs2
    thats all

how to part ex my hs1 for the hs10

and some dosh hehehe

8. sonn

sonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    neo-uk: "the picture looks just the same as my HS1, the blacks are worse"

Come on, how it is possible, when the contrast is actually 200 units better, as well the brightness? Aren't you just a bit envious?

Cheers Sonn

9. murph200140

murph200140
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must admit didn't know that the sanyo was as cheap as the sony but as I got the sony for £1260 I'm quite happy . I did just focus on the sony vpl hs1 at first and was going to buy that a couple of months ago .but then I found out that the hs2 was coming out and decided to go for that .Watched "nightmare before christmas" last night and the blacks seem fine to me .Not a deep black but good enough for me until I can afford to buy a better one .The only thing I 'm considering changing already is the screen . It would be a lot easier if I could get a pull down screen to mount over the window .But I don't think the wife will go for that just yet .:D

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey Murph,

Welcome to the wild and woolie land of projector folk !

If Neo Uk thinks the HS2 is worse than his HS1 then bully for him.

I saw a couple of HS1s beofre I bought the AE100, and have seen a couple since, and didn't think they were great, at risk of offending any members, I thought they were sh!te, frankly.

This is intended not to get up anyones nose, but to illustrate that what really matters is what You see, and what you think. If you're happy with your HS2, and there's no reason why you shouldn't, then brilliant, and hope you get lots and lots of hours of enjoyment from it. Most of us here think that once you've seen movies on a 7' screen (or in Smurfin's case 8' screen ;) ) in you're living room/whatever, its the dogs doodah.

For **** sake, don't get hung up by navel gazing about how black your blacks are, or screendoor or whatever - set the bloomin thing up, de-focus it ever so slightly, sit back and enjoy.

The longer you hang around here the sooner you'll cop that there's always a better projector about to come out. Earlier this year, the AE100 was the fave topic, and about 90 - 100 of us have one. Just now the AE300, Zanyo Z1 and HS10 seem to be the bees knees, and lots of people have "upgrade-itis" and in about six months time something else will be giving everyone a buzz.

Enjoy what you have and don't be bothered by the hype.

Good luck,

Sean G.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhhhhh yes, but which one to go for Sean? That's the $64,000 question :p

Personally I wouldn't go for an AE-300 - reliability/quality control issues + "soft" image with smoothscreen technology & "peekaboo" screendoor/scanline type artifacts have put me off.

The Z1 IMO is an entry level PJ & not to be considered an "upgrade" from an AE-100.

The HS10 as mentioned by Julia in another thread looks promising. Just checked out the specs on projector central & some owners at avs are quite pleased. Bit concerned about black levels though & HTPC using DVI - seems difficult to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping.

Congrats on the HS2. As Sean has said, it's you who'll be viewing, so if you're pleased with the results & 100,000,000 say it's cr*p - who cares. Better to spend £1250 to get on the first rung of the ladder. Guaranteed in 6 months time you'll be far more critical & educated about your next PJ.

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer,

Quote:

The Z1 IMO is an entry level PJ & not to be considered an "upgrade" from an AE-100.

end Quote.

LOL !!

:D :D :D

Oh fudge, I can't wait for Smurfin to see this !!

Agree with you on the AE300, not sure that the smoothscreen technology is free from glitches - tho recent tweak posted by Julia indicates the way forward, pixel perfect via DVI uncertain for HS10, where does that leave you ????

Are you going for a real upgrade to a VW12HT ???

Thats all the guessing you're going to get from me, you old fraud !!!

See ya,

Sean G.

13. murph200140

murph200140
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies kramer and Sean . Just relax and enjoy what I've got ( good advice).But the grass is always greener or in our case the blacks are always blacker on the next projector .
    cheers Murph

14. neo-uk

neo-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry if i caused any ill feelings but i did not mean it
    its just there are so many good projectors out now and its getting abit harder to pick one but good news for me at least

the shop will part ex my hs1 for £1000 and £1500 cash =£2500
    for the Sony HS10 ti has such a sharp picture looked at a 12ht after it and the picture was no diffrent but i have to say you have to have the cinama black on and black adjust high and the lens fillter on to gt the blacks to there deepest and still way blacker than the HS1 loard of the rings looked so sharp and tv like yes the blacks are still not black but a dark gray the HS1 was a light gray blue colour

the The reason i`m upgrading

HS1 HS10
    4:3 16:9
    800x600 Pixels 1366x768 Pixels 64% more picture
    350:1 700:1 much better blacks
    No zooms 7 diffrent picture Zooms
    loud not as loud in cinama black mode
    2000hrs 3000hrs

and maybe a few more things

but i hope you like your hs2 if your happy thats all that matters

have a good one

15. murph200140

murph200140
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a good deal neo , good luck and enjoy .I 've got the lord of the rings special edition to watch friday and off to see the "Two towers" on Saturday , can't wait .Cheers Murph:)

16. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey NEO,

Ok m8. By the way, have you ever heard of punctuation - you know, these things - , . ; : , the make stuff sooooo much easier to read :D ;) ;) :D .

Sean G.

17. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too. Didn't get a chance to watch it b4 our travels & then thought I'd wait for my new Pxxxxxxxxx. - darn, nearly let it slip again :D

Probably gonna watch at least half my DVD collection over the holiday period.

At the end of the day (said Roy Keane), that's what PJs are for, as well as bragging rights :p

18. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer,

Roy Keane, don't get me started on that stupid git.........

LOTR, you'll hate it - its all colouredy,full of mad scary bits, names you can't understand, running through fields, big ba$tards all in black, evil looking f*ckers they are, trying to catch these cute little dwarf types, weird elf types as well, some absolutely top notch birds (but they don't get their kit off, shame) horrible deformed yokes with buck teeth and snouts who'd stab you for sixpence, you know, the type you get outside the chip shop in Henry Street, or up in Moyross, after a feed of pints on a Saturday night, Fearsome the whole ting is.

I was thinking of submitting the above for next years edition of Halliwells - the reviews in my copy are sadly lacking in local colour !!

Sean G.