Quantcast

Got a problem with my TV - Sony Bravia KDL-S32A12U

Brem

I'm not too sure where to post this. I figure since I feel it may be a problem with the TV, I should ask here.

Well, I've been having this problem for a while now. I bought a PS3 in March, and have collected a few Blu-Ray films, and of course have been watching them through HDMI, at 1080i.

However, every now and then the picture will suddenly go off for a second, then come back on displaying the channel which is HDMI and so forth. I was told this may be handshaking stuff, and to try a new HDMI cable. So I did. I bought a new cable today, and the picture actually seemed to improve. It just looked clearer.

Anyway, this evening I decided to go ahead and watch a film to test it. The picture went off three times.

It's always for a second, and never close together. Well, sometimes it is, but sometimes they're spaced apart.

The funny thing is, PS3 games are fine. They run at 720p, no problems. However PS2 games, PS1 games and Blu-Ray films, running at 1080i, all have the problem with the picture going off for a second.

Could it be that they are running at 1080i? My TVs native resolution is apparently 720p. Although I've never been told that could be a possible problem, and never thought it could be. I've only ever been told it could be a faulty cable.

Any help with this would be great. I have absolutely no idea howto sort this out now. It'd be nice to actually watch a Blu-Ray film for once without the picture going off. I'm not too bothered about the games, because I've played them many times before.

vader100

It is a firmware problem that has been discussed extensively here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348999&highlight=kdls40a12u

To save reading it all basically you will need to contact sony and they will take away your set and put a new firmware chip in. The hard part is actually getting them to acknowledge it is their fault and getting them to pay for the repair. I am trying at the moment just to get an answer from them from my initial query about getting the upgrade. I have bought lots of Sony kit in the past and been very happy with it but after this I will think twice about buying fro them again:suicide:
720p works fine though apparently

Brem

It is a firmware problem that has been discussed extensively here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348999&highlight=kdls40a12u

To save reading it all basically you will need to contact sony and they will take away your set and put a new firmware chip in. The hard part is actually getting them to acknowledge it is their fault and getting them to pay for the repair. I am trying at the moment just to get an answer from them from my initial query about getting the upgrade. I have bought lots of Sony kit in the past and been very happy with it but after this I will think twice about buying fro them again:suicide:
720p works fine though apparently
Well, we've sort of found out what it is, and I think it's what you said. They said it's because my TV doesn't support HDMI/1080i, or something like that. We just phoned in today to get more information because the guy who would be doing this work was away. We just got a call to say that Sony have the part we need, and hopefully soon we can send it away to be fixed.

I don't think this will make me think twice. Sure it's a pain, since the TV shouldn't have been sold like this, but still. It's not that bad a TV, and I've never had a problem with Sony products before. One tiny problem won't put me off. I mean, the picture going off isn't the worst thing that could happen.

Thanks for the help, anyway. And yeah, 720p, for some reason does still work. Well, I'm just happy to know what the issue is! People have suggested I watch Blu-Rays in 720p, but whether it's my eye sight or not, the quality really doesn't look as good as 1080i, even though my TVs native is 720p.

Thanks again, anyway! It's appreciated. Sorry for the later response! Apparently, they'd fixed alot of these TVs in Warranty. Shame I only started using HDMI in March. It's not in Warranty anymore. Thanks yet again!

Well, we've sort of found out what it is, and I think it's what you said. They said it's because my TV doesn't support HDMI/1080i, or something like that.
That's not true - these TVs were sold with the "HD Ready" logo present which means it needs to accept up to 1080i via HDMI.

Brem

That's not true - these TVs were sold with the "HD Ready" logo present which means it needs to accept up to 1080i via HDMI.
We know that. What I meant was they said there was an error with the TV. Because of this, the TV doesn't actually work with HDMI/1080i. It has the HDMI slot and allows things in 1080i, but the picture will always go off randomly at some point for a second, and come back on.

Once the part is put into my TV, this should be fixed, and 1080i and HDMI should work properly. They said they've had the same model I have sent in quite a bit because of this.

So yeah, it needs to accept 1080i, and work with HDMI but because of some fault, it doesn't do what it's supposed to.

I'm just going off what they said. Considering they've had more than one TV of this kind in there to be fixed with this exact same problem, it's not something I can't believe. So hopefully, it'll be sorted out soon.

Oh, OK. I thought for a second that someone was trying to claim that the TV was in-spec.

Brem

Oh, OK. I thought for a second that someone was trying to claim that the TV was in-spec.
No worries. Just a simple misunderstanding!

Actually, I'm quite pleased right now. I was searching on Google, and found a YouTube video of my problem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbB2orxu_w

That's the exact same problem I'm having, and it is the same model. It makes me feel better to see it happen on someone elses TV. It says it's after 45 minutes, although I'm sure it's random.