• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Got a part worn tyre, been given a winter tyre. Should try and get it changed?

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Ended up getting a puncture yesterday after hitting a sharp pointed kerb because some idiot couldn't keep on their side of the road properly.

End result was a puncture on the sidewall meaning it couldn't be repaired. Bit gutted as the tyre is only a year old and cost me £75, had plenty of tread left on it.

Went to the local trusted tyre place and picked up a part worn for £30, cant really afford £75 for a new tyre at the moment but I do prefer to stick to new tyres. The part worn is a Goodyear with lots of tread left on it. Only thing is that once I got home, I noticed that its a winter tyre, none of my other tyres are winter ones. At the time, it was the only tyre of the required size (225/45/17) they had in stock. Will this be OK to use or should I see if they can change it?

Also noticed that it's a run flat when the others on the car aren't.

Last edited:

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
i would , for one very good reason , if you have an accident with mismatched tyres i cant see your insurance company being overly happy about it ..........

Prominent Member
Ended up getting a puncture yesterday after hitting a sharp pointed kerb because some idiot couldn't keep on their side of the road properly.

End result was a puncture on the sidewall meaning it couldn't be repaired. Bit gutted as the tyre is only a year old and cost me £75, had plenty of tread left on it.

Went to the local trusted tyre place and picked up a part worn for £30, cant really afford £75 for a new tyre at the moment but I do prefer to stick to new tyres. The part worn is a Goodyear with lots of tread left on it. Only thing is that once I got home, I noticed that its a winter tyre, none of my other tyres are winter ones. At the time, it was the only tyre of the required size (225/45/17) they had in stock. Will this be OK to use or should I see if they can change it?

Also noticed that it's a run flat when the others on the car aren't.

Take it back, it won't do

alexs2

Distinguished Member
If your local dealer sells part worn tyres,they should have no problem taking this one back,as they shouldn't have fitted a winter tyre anyway.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
If your local dealer sells part worn tyres,they should have no problem taking this one back,as they shouldn't have fitted a winter tyre anyway.

It was only a independent tyre place but I doubt they did it deliberately. Been using them for a few years and can't fault them otherwise.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
It was only a independent tyre place but I doubt they did it deliberately. Been using them for a few years and can't fault them otherwise.

I wasn't suggesting they did,and I'm sure being an honest mistake they'd just swap it,but the sooner you let them know,the quicker it's sorted and you aren't driving about with mismatched tyres.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom