1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got a Panny ae200 but.....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fred123go, Nov 10, 2003.

1. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    I got a ae200 a few weeks ago...first impressions great!but then i started to get used to the pq and realise a few faults of the lcd family, screendoor is pretty annoying at times and probably the worst thing vertical banding, it is really noticeable as my seating position is pretty near the screen. Do you all suggest i upgrade to the z2 or the ae500? i am seated about 2.5metres from a 6ft wide screen, if i upgrade do you guys reckon the screen door effect and vertical banding would pretty much dissapear?
    cheers all
    Fred

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Fred,

This must be a record for thread-starting...... I guess the "wow" factor is wearing off.

I reckon that sitting about 8' away from a 6' screen, you're always going to see faults in the image reproduction from digital projectors...... a higher resolution would probably help with screen door, but I'd still recommend sitting a minimum 1.5x screen width from the image.

Vertical banding on the AE200 is not supposed to be as bad as with other projectors (it has been compared favourable with the AE100 afaik, but lots a pjs suffer from VB, and not just at the entry level). In the first place I'd check your cable runs etc. to ensure that you're not geting unwanted interference.

The cure for a lot of this is to sit 10 - 12 ft away from a 6+ ft image and chill out - start watching movies, not obsessing over picture quality. Given that there's little (AE500)/no (Z2) experience of those PJs here, your request for "should I upgrade" advice isn't meaningful.

My 2c.....................

Sean G.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    my young friend.

I can only second what the ritz has said. VB seems to part and parcel of some LCD units. Going for a DLP should remove this problem, but will throw up other anomolies such as rainbow.

Over at AVS forum they are already discussing the panny 500 which has been witnessed with VB in certain set ups.

Therefore, you can conclude that maybe in this case, spending more will not remove the problem as its an LCD thing.

Hope this helps,

Cap:smashin:

4. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Shaun,
    will reconsider for the moment and wait till z2 reports start coming in, the pq still is very very good for the price and way better than expected so i should just appreciate it, i think once i finally get my room sorted out, ie comfortable chairs! and a sense of completion i can start to sit back and enjoy the films.
    I am using quite a cheap component cable atm so that could be of the increase in vertical banding, will investigate!
    thanks a lot though
    Fred

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Only demo'd my AE200 for a little while and then only via a cheapo scart lead feeding composite video from my cheap DVD player, but I didn't see any vertical banding.......

Is it a case that your picture must be very good in the 1st place before you can see these more subtle faults ?

Re sitting further back, well everone to their own taste, but I can't see why people get big screens and then sit a mile away.

The whole point I got a projector was to experience the big screen feeling. Mind you I think people who sit at the back row of a cinema are mad too :)

I will probably find more faults over time, but 1st impressions for me were 7 feet from a 6 foot image was ok.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

As you say, each to his own taste - seating distance is a matter for you to decide for yourself....................... however......

.......................... I suspect that once the "1st impressions" phase has passed, you might enjoy a better perception of picture quality with greater distance form the screen - the screen isn't getting any smaller, btw, it's still bigger than any other medium will provide, but sitting close to the screen with digital front projection tends to accentuate the natural structure of the image, as well as any other weaknesses in the image. Try sitting 2.5' from a 28" TV - the picture will look cack..........................

It's still only my 2c............................ it's just worth more than most other 2cs........!!!:D

Sean G.

7. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Modesty as well eh :smashin:

Yeah I'm aware of what you are saying. I just still (Personally) think sitting 12 feet away from a 6 foot screen sort of looses the immersion you get from sitting a bit closer. but hey what do I know :D

BTW: I have a 27" Sony along side my bed and lie on my side often watching star trek late at night. TV's only 3 feet away :clap:

Looks fine to me. Mind you it's a old (ish) Sony Trinitron and it's a cracking picture.

Either that or I'm blind :(

8. GASWATKINS

GASWATKINS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Fred
    i have a AE100
    and yes wow at first and then you get few niggles
    happens in all works of life,
    cars , women ( for the ladies i guess us blokes annoy too !!)
    but i chill with a beer or two and get in to the film
    though with PJ you can see so much it can open your eyes to dreadful faults in filming , a big window will let in more , more good bits but bad too !!!
    still i still love it ,missed it while it was away ,( 2 days only whilst it popped the power supply )
    but now ready for the rugby again

i sit 10 feet back from a 6 ft wide manual screen
    plus friends round yesterday were wowwed by full size ALi G
    so sometimes you forget how wow it really is , just chill and enjoy

9. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah true, mine is at Panasonic repair centre atm gettign rid of a dead pixel, well good service.
    I am just frustrated because my HC room, my bedroom, is far from complete, i have two really bad and uncomfortable chairs and things are everywhere. I think once i have completed my room, got a sofa in there, got a beer fridge i will be able to sit back and enjoy the movie!
    Cheers
    Fred