Got a Panasonic BD35 - How should I set it up?

nheather

Distinguished Member
I have just installed the following

Panasonic DMP-BD35
Denon AVR-1909
Pioneer KRP-500M

Connection is as follows

BD35 >> 1909 HDMI (video and sound)
1909 >> 500M HDMI (video only)

I intend to play both DVDs and Blurays with this player.

So for the BD35 how best should I set the following

HDMI Video Mode - assume this should be set to 'ON'
HDMI Video Format - should I use 'Automatic' or '1080p'
24p Output - should I set this 'On' or 'Off'
HDMI Output Range - should I use 'Standard' or 'Enhanced'
HDMI Audio Output - I assume this should be set to 'On' even though it's the Amp doing the sound not the TV
Digital Audio Output - I assume 'Bitstream' as my Amp has the decoders - I assuming the 1909 will do this better than the BD35
Dynamic Range Compression - 'On', 'Off' or 'Automatic' - no idea what this is. The manual does say 'Automatic' only works with TrueHD.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Nigel

kingfats

Distinguished Member
HDMI Video Mode - assume this should be set to 'ON'
HDMI Video Format - should I use 'Automatic' or '1080p'
24p Output - should I set this 'On' or 'Off'
HDMI Output Range - should I use 'Standard' or 'Enhanced'
HDMI Audio Output - I assume this should be set to 'On' even though it's the Amp doing the sound not the TV
Digital Audio Output - I assume 'Bitstream' as my Amp has the decoders - I assuming the 1909 will do this better than the BD35
Dynamic Range Compression - 'On', 'Off' or 'Automatic' - no idea what this is. The manual does say 'Automatic' only works with TrueHD.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Nigel
ON...yes. :smashin:
Autos fine.
24p > ON.
Standard.
HDMI Audio Output? ON for player OFF if there's a setting on the amp also as sound gets sent to the display via the HDMI out as well.
Digital Audio Output > Bitstream.
Dynamic Range Compression > OFF.
:thumbsup:

kempez

kingfats - can I ask why HDMI output range would be set to 'standard'? I think I have mine set to 'Enhanced' and wondered what the difference would be? That aside, all mine are as stated above

Thanks in advance :)

Soz to thread high-jack but the OP may be interested too :)

kingfats

Distinguished Member
kingfats - can I ask why HDMI output range would be set to 'standard'? I think I have mine set to 'Enhanced' and wondered what the difference would be? That aside, all mine are as stated above

Thanks in advance :)

Soz to thread high-jack but the OP may be interested too :)

Standard is Video levels (RGB 16-235) Enhanced is PC (0-255) choosing Enhanced over Standard may result in exactly the same picture (depending on your display etc) but it could also crush blacks. (lose detail in dark scenes)

iainl7

Just to clarify a little on what Kingfats said, Enhanced is basically a work of genius if you're one of the small number of people (and there are some) hooking your player up to a PC monitor, where plain black is 0 IRE. Otherwise, it's an easy way to ruin dark scenes if you hook it up to a TV.

If your device won't let you calibrate "Standard" black to look properly black instead of dark grey, then use "Enhanced", otherwise leave it alone.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom