1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got a PAL xbox, need advice on putting it to my dell LCD

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by arnoldma, Jan 27, 2005.

1. arnoldma

arnoldma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just got my new xbox, and i really wanna use it on my dell 2005fpw widescreen LCD monitor, but when i plug it in with the standard cable (yellow composite) to my dell compsite input, the image comes up not very clear, and seems to "flicker" a bit... it's not even as clear as my normal TV!!

any advice on how i can make it better by doing xbox PAL to my dell 2005fpw? i was thinking s-video, but was scared that won't make much difference!

thanks again.

2. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Your going to struggle to get a clear picture from the Xbox on that monitor. S-Video will look a bit better but not much. A VGA box for the Xbox would help a bit.
    The problem is the PAL Xbox has a 640x480 interlaced output using composite or S-Video. The monitor you have has a native resolution of 1680x1050 which is non interlaced.
    The monitor has to blow up the picture from the Xbox to make it fit the screen. The end result will always be much less sharp than on a CRT based monitor. I had the same problem on a 17" TFT monitor with a DC and VGA cable, it was never pin sharp.
    You said there was a problem with flickering. Was the image tearing horizontally? The refresh rate on that monitor is OK but the upsampling is probably slowing it down a bit.

LCD monitors aren't really much use for this generation of consoles.