Quantcast

Got a New 436xde today! pixel fault!

Just swapped my nov05 436xde to DEC05 because of image retention problems and a non working pixel(in the middle of the screen)

But the new screen has a different problem!

I have a pixel that is always on! Ands its blue! Is there anything I can do or is it swap time again!

Please help!

bis96gw

Novice Member
The LCD boys say to "massage" the area and it might start working again...but doubt you could even do that on a plasma because of the glass....

I'd swap it if you can mate.... might need another excuse other than a dodgy pixel though as Pioneer wouldn't consider 1 pixel a fault....

TekHousE

Standard Member
DON'T rub the screen..!!!!!

johnpalmer1963

Standard Member
Your right mate, they don`t consider one pixel out to be a fault, even on a new T.V., I think for it to be considered a problem you have to have at least seven, yes seven dead.

anticlaus105

I have one that dosn't work on red. Depending on what I'm viewing it is a mixture of blue and green (hence shows up as cyan dot on white and black dot on red).

Thankfully it's in the top right of the screen. P!ssed me off lots when I first saw it but now I very rarely notice it so don't care that much.

Where abouts is your faulty pixel located?

the pixel is just lef of the centre of the screen and its perm blue which is more noticeable!!!

I swapped my last screen because of a similar fault!! Is this the norm?

One problem I did notice was on the back of the screen...

this was written 'Made in Great Britain' this has made me consider changing to a panasonic!
( I mean we cant even make decent cars (rover) so how can me make screens!)

bis96gw

Novice Member
Seems to be more of a problem on the Pioneers than the Panny's unfortunately..... the 436 is a great screen but seems to have quite a few problems..... (not that the Panny PV500's don't, but they are more annoyances rather than problems!)

anticlaus105

I wouldn't be happy if it was in the centre of the screen.

Do you have distance selling regs to fall back on?

I have watched a few films on mine since noticing the poixel and most of the time I cannot spot it. Try watching a few things to see how noticable it is.

I spoke to a Pioneer customer rel guy about mine and he said if it was only visible "some" of the trime it was acceptable. If however if was visible on all/most backgrounds it would be classed as a fault. Obviously you have to judge this for yourself. The fact that it is central would give you more cause for argument I would say.

because the pixel is blue all the time any screen that isnt blue shows it up!

I cant beleive pioneer sell a screen at this price point(over 2800 in currys) and think that a few dead/faulty pixels is ok!

to be honest the screen was bought from a shop I used to work at so theres no problem exchanging it (again) but I may get one with more dead/faulty pixels plus I cant be arsed with all the hassle.

So if I did contact pioneer theres nothing they can do? I would prefer the pixel to not work rather than be blue all the time..is this possible?

Just a shame cos the screen apart from this is excellent
I wouldnt be so bothered if this was the norm by I used to have a panasonic 42Pwd4 for the last 3 odd years with no faulty pixels and no faults in all that time...

RobbieTT

Novice Member
Sorry to hear your woes. My dealer promissed a 100% perfect screen with the Pioneer - because they had had no proble returning screens with pixel faults, however small, back to Pioneer.

Luckily mine was pefect on delivery. The dealer spent some time with different coloured screen shots to check this on install.

Have you asked your dealer yet, you may be surprised?

Good luck.

anticlaus105

I bought mine from Comet. Has anyone had any experience exchanging screens with them for faulty pixels?

kamaran

RobbieTT said:
Sorry to hear your woes. My dealer promissed a 100% perfect screen with the Pioneer - because they had had no proble returning screens with pixel faults, however small, back to Pioneer.

Luckily mine was pefect on delivery. The dealer spent some time with different coloured screen shots to check this on install.

Have you asked your dealer yet, you may be surprised?

Good luck.
Who did you buy your screen from mate?

RobbieTT

Novice Member
kamaran said:
Who did you buy your screen from mate?
Audio T, Swindon.

GrahamMG

bis96gw said:
The LCD boys say to "massage" the area and it might start working again...but doubt you could even do that on a plasma because of the glass....

I'd swap it if you can mate.... might need another excuse other than a dodgy pixel though as Pioneer wouldn't consider 1 pixel a fault....
As far as I can tell many Pioneer pixel failures are down to the much vaunted lighter PDP and its lack of secondary glass filter......This might make them a bit delicate to shipping and laying down (putting the bracket on for instance....) and a bit of flexibility that isn't good either..... So one step forward (brighter image) two steps back (more duff pixels). From what I hear its a fairly common problem with Pioneer now.... Certianly do not rub/massage the front panel as it far more delicate than the likes of Fujitsu/Panasonic that still use proper glasss fliters (and frankly just as bright or brighter and as good or better image quality) and in the Fujitsu's case have a longer warranty......

I bought mine from Salop Music Centre (SMC) in shrewsbury and they couldnt be more helpful. I just dont want to take this one back and end up with more or worse pixel faults!

If pioneer would help I would contact them..What do you think!

R

round-eye

if its only one pixel i dont know whether its worth doing an exchange, i say this as i have just had the same issue! had 1 dead pixel so contacted pioneer to be informed that they only consider it faulty if there is '8 dead pixels' and even then it has to be within a certain amount of square centimeters!:thumbsdow

lucky for me the place i bought it from were great and immediatley ordered me another as replacement and guess what...........:smashin:

surprise surprise the replacement had a dead pixel!!!!!!!!:mad:

so i decided to put up with it rather than recieving a replacement with even more issues! i.e. 6 or 7 dead pixels

GrahamMG

Contact your dealer and take it from there, I naturally cannot comment on what Pioneer would say. Each case on its own merits maybe.... Being honest I have not heard that Pioneer are being particually difficult on pixel failure but as cases rise that might obviously change.....

Ziggy

Standard Member
Well Pioneer told me the exact same thing. That they wouldnt consider replacing a screen unless there is more than 8 dead/stuck pixels within a certain viewing area of the screen.
I have two dead/stuck pixels in red and even the warranty states they do occur and it's within the specification.
It drives me mad to know they are there, but in truth i never see them at the normal viewing distance of around 8 feet (which i think is a tad too close).
I was given Pioneers number to ring via the dealer i had the screen off and told that this was the first step to take.
I never bothered ringing the dealer again, as i bought it online and on finance and figured i wouldnt get anywhere with getting a replacement.
As i've said in previous threads about this subject, it's disapointing for the cost of the screen, but even with the dead pixels the picture is cool and i'm glad i went with the Pioneer.
Lets hope they can sort out this problem in the next generation of screens.

GrahamMG

Any PDP manufacturer has guidelines for pixel failure replacement and as you say it is always more than just one dead pixel. However you touch on the dangers of on-line buying, you pay rock bottom prices and there is no dealer to go and see, so not much chance of a lot of dealer intervention or flexibility on being helped....... Buying a plasma with no real known issues and via a "real person" dealer might be wiser in future but then I know I am winding you up so I'll stop now:devil: If the pixels are not seen at normal viewing distances (and I would say 8ft was about right for a 42") then you should be happy.
Sorting out what appears to be a common problem by bringing out a new model isn't the best way to please existing customers really......

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
From my experience no one manufacturer is more or less likely to suffer pixel issues. Or putting it another way, in the last two years I've had something like two Pioneers, two Panasonic and one Fuji. The last three all happening in the space of about 10 days late last year!!!

Only two of these screens were replaced by the manufacturer. Most will require two pairs of stuck pixels minimum, or a three and a two, or seven individually scattered. Some will often try to fob you off with the fact that the manuals tend to quote 99.99% pixel gaurantee (which is almost 80 pixels on a 42" HD panel!!).

GrahamMG

No-one makes a pixel perfect screen which is why they quote 99.99%. The last Pioneer sets do seem to suffer far more than most due to the removal of that piece of front glass maybe....... I'll do what I can as you know, can't speak for others though......Luckily I don't see many customers screens come back these days for pixel failure.....Far far more have been dropped for instance......

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
I would say it is more likely a case that you are hearing more about dead pixels on the recent Pioneer models than them actually suffering more or less. Or indeed that complaining about 06XDEs seems to be flavour of the month at the moment!! It's just the way this forum tends to be. In the past there have been spates of Panasonics having dead pixels (or at least people posting about them) which encouraged the general opinion that Panasonics are worst for dead pixels! My personal experience, and others in the industry who I talk to regularly, just doesn't support a theory that the Pioneers are worse.

To be clear I have no reason to defend the screens. If it were true then I would simply steer customers toward another brand as a more suitable product. But I think for Pioneers sake, and those prospective buyers who have stumbled accross the forum and find comments like this and don't know what to make of it, that your point is not brilliantly justified and casts a potentially unfair negative shadow over the screens. Would be nice if we could do a poll, but as with all polls on this forum the majority of plasma owners are no-longer active members once they have bought their screens. Well unless they get a fault in which case it's straight back here to tell everyone about it!

GrahamMG

Liam @ Prog AV said:
I would say it is more likely a case that you are hearing more about dead pixels on the recent Pioneer models than them actually suffering more or less. Or indeed that complaining about 06XDEs seems to be flavour of the month at the moment!! It's just the way this forum tends to be. In the past there have been spates of Panasonics having dead pixels (or at least people posting about them) which encouraged the general opinion that Panasonics are worst for dead pixels! My personal experience, and others in the industry who I talk to regularly, just doesn't support a theory that the Pioneers are worse.

To be clear I have no reason to defend the screens. If it were true then I would simply steer customers toward another brand as a more suitable product. But I think for Pioneers sake, and those prospective buyers who have stumbled accross the forum and find comments like this and don't know what to make of it, that your point is not brilliantly justified and casts a potentially unfair negative shadow over the screens. Would be nice if we could do a poll, but as with all polls on this forum the majority of plasma owners are no-longer active members once they have bought their screens. Well unless they get a fault in which case it's straight back here to tell everyone about it!
Hi Liam.
You have a PM...;) Maybe I was being a little too honest;)

Of course I would have to agree completely that people are always more vocal about faults than they ever are about the screen being perfect. It is a bit fustrating to have the 06XDE rubbed in one's nose only to find out that it isn't perfect and others are just as good or maybe (God forbid) better......:D Marketing is a powerful thing for the unwary, I'd prefer the honest approach as it is less likely to bite me in the bum..... I am sure whatever the 05/06 Pioneers are like (and I had loads of 04/05's) it won't hurt sales of them but an inflexible approach to customer issues might. Of course their margins might not help the situation.....

Damon

Novice Member
Baldybouncer said:
I cant beleive pioneer sell a screen at this price point(over 2800 in currys) and think that a few dead/faulty pixels is ok!
£2800 Yeah but you would have to haggle to get the price that high:eek:

It was £2604.72 delivered for the speaker and static stand package online. I got my Dec05 436 package for £2150 after various discount schenanigans. No dead Pixels thankfully. A stunning screen I'd not hesistate to recommend

Damon

Ziggy

Standard Member
I only noticed my pixel problem as i walked past the screen on the way to the kitchen, whilst there was a football match on the screen. It was at least a few weeks before i even noticed them.

BIGMAX

Novice Member
I only notice my couple of dead pixels up close, Pioneer will not do anything about it so its up to the dealer. If you don't look for it you wont see it from average distance but it hurts knowing that you have paid so much money and the thing is not perfect.

Any way of busting some more pixels, 7 more down and I could get a replacement!!

R

Robbick

I just took delivery of 436XDE from www.flattelly.co.uk.

Excellant delivery and service.

I have only one dead pixel down in the bottom right hand corner really only noticable when its white.

To be honest on such a big screen one dead pixel isn't so noticable but I mine is not in the centre, luckily!

I had thought this was an acceptable tolerance.

Cheers