1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got A Myryad z122 but want SACD and DVD-A

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skimber, Jun 25, 2004.

1. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it says in the subject I currently have a Myryad z122 DVD player and i've been very happy with it. The problem is that I now have a number of Hybrid SACD and DVD Audio discs, all of which I can play (CD layer on SACD and DTS track on DVD-A) but obviously I want the full experience!

So can anyone recommend a DVD player that is equal to or better than the Myryad in terms of DVD-video and CD playback while also supporting SACD and DVD-A - Alternatively would I be better getting a separate deck, one that is perhaps not so hot for video but amazing for high res audio?

Lastly, (in either case) what will be the best way to hook it up to my amp? (Pioneer 2011 - The one BEFORE the firewire model came out). I recall reading somewhere that optical and digital co-ax can't carry the full high res audio signal and you have to use 6 individual channel cables to get the best sound. Is that right or did i dream it?

Cheers

Simon

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    Can't answer your first bit as to which one to recommend (you are probably limited to a Denon or Pioneer model though).
    If your amp doesn't have firewire, you are correct that you need six cables to connect the dvd player to get the hi res signals. The dvd player then does the bass management for DVD/A and SACD.
    Cheers
    Phil

3. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on prices on your side of the pond, the Marantz DV6400 is pretty good with both audio formats (IMO), and its PQ is generally, though not entirely, well reviewed. In any case, if you're satisfied with the PQ of your current player, in your place I'd get a second deck and focus on audio. Denon and Pioneer are also likely candidates. I considered each of them before getting the Marantz but the machines with the features/sound quality I wanted didn't compete pricewise (though the PQ of the Denon probably had something to do with that).

4. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philly112: Cheers, thought as much!

Ovation: Thanks for that.. the UK model doesn't have progressive scan apparently but looks like a definate possibility if i'm to get a dedicated music deck and keep the Myryad for movies! It instantly get's marks over the pioneer as it's effectively a re-badged pioneer with upgraded audio circuits! And having a 2800 Mk.1 kind of put me off Denon.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after looking at how much DVDa software is only Dolby digital spec on the dvda layer (Read the info on the back of the pack, It might be worth looking for a dedicated SACD player at least until there are a decent number of full spec disks! I've only found on disc so far with the 192 on stereo (The Eagles)

6. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on your tastes, I think you'll find, particularly if you shop online, that most, though not all, DVD-A titles are 96 khz in M/C (currently the upper limit). You are correct that there are not as many 192 stereo discs as there could be. However, the DVD-A tracks are LOSSLESS, unlike the Dolby Digital group (and DTS, for that matter) and this can (not that it always does) make a difference. Also, presumably one would keep one's player for more than a few months, and titles are bound to be released at an accelerated rate, particularly since DualDisc has been approved by the DVD Forum (allowing for hybrids like SACDs--it's been said that labels have held back their releases pending this approval). Of course, ultimately it's about the music, not the format and I think it's wiser not to restrict one's self to one format or the other if one doesn't have to.