Got a Falcon: noisy as hell!

lapino

Recently got a Falcon 360 (175w power supply) but the fans are just as loud (if not louderà than my previous one. Apart from that, the drive seems to be VERY loud too, easily overpowering the noise my HD70 projector makes. It's a Benq drive though but seems a LOT louder than my previous 360.

Anyone know how to check for a Falcon with a silent drive??

Mr-Bananas

You will never get a silent drive, no matter what make it is because its spinning so fast.

There is no such thing as a quiet 360, they just don't exist. I went through about 5 360 trying to get a quiet one, they were all the same.

I finally got so sick of the noise these things made, I sold it and bought a PS3.

Now that thing is quiet.

Immortaleffectz

Novice Member
I have the premium 360 (before hdmi). Is there a way of finding out what chip is in it becasue i know its before falcon.?

fatfingers73

You will never get a silent drive, no matter what make it is because its spinning so fast.

There is no such thing as a quiet 360, they just don't exist. I went through about 5 360 trying to get a quiet one, they were all the same.

I finally got so sick of the noise these things made, I sold it and bought a PS3.

Now that thing is quiet.

Mine's the other way round, I'm on the 3rd PS3, 1 60gb & 2 40gb. All really loud when the fans kick in, but my Elite is nearly silent.

Strange :confused:

J8NTS

Standard Member
Moving from a PS3 I got a 175w Elite yesterday and I'm amazed how loud this thing is, I'd even say it's louder than my original launch-date 360. On the Dashboard it's louder than the PS3 ever was at full tilt, but when the drive spins up it's unbelievable! I doubt Microsoft could have made it any louder if they'd tried.

Oh well. :)

Jamsi

Standard Member
Moving from a PS3 I got a 175w Elite yesterday and I'm amazed how loud this thing is, I'd even say it's louder than my original launch-date 360. On the Dashboard it's louder than the PS3 ever was at full tilt, but when the drive spins up it's unbelievable! I doubt Microsoft could have made it any louder if they'd tried.

Oh well. :)
Yea. Maybe it's due to the fact that Sony has longer exprience in building these consoles...and knows how it's done.
I mean, they've build a more powerful machine that is almost silent compared to 360.

Mr-Bananas

Plus, the power supply is fitted internally on the PS3. Its an amazing bit of engineering to get it running so quietly.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Yea. Maybe it's due to the fact that Sony has longer exprience in building these consoles...and knows how it's done.
I mean, they've build a more powerful machine that is almost silent compared to 360.
I think it's just because of the choice of drive. The DVD drive in the 360 runs at 12x or 16x (can't remember which) whereas the PS3 BD drive runs at 2x. The fan noise on both my 360 and PS3 are about the same in my experience - my PS3 isn't almost silent unfortunately.

dbwinter

I think it's just because of the choice of drive. The DVD drive in the 360 runs at 12x or 16x (can't remember which) whereas the PS3 BD drive runs at 2x. The fan noise on both my 360 and PS3 are about the same in my experience - my PS3 isn't almost silent unfortunately.
I have had 3 Xbox 360s and 1 PS3. All 3 Xbox 360s sound like a vacuum cleaner with or without the DVD drive in operation. With the DVD drive in operation it is equivalent to a jumbo jet at low altitude.

The PS3 is brilliantly engineered, is very quiet and it is like comparing a Lada to an Aston Martin for overall build quality.

However, it doesn't have Halo 3 or PGR4 and thus I only use it for Blu-ray.

J8NTS

Standard Member
Lots of people seem to be using their 360 as a media centre, either playing directly or streaming from a PC. I think mine is too noisy for that, but I'm keen to hear how people are coping with the noise. Do you tolerate it and simply increase the volume of you TV/amp, or are you trying to reduce the perceived noise somehow (e.g. sticking your 360 in an AV cabinet)?

dbwinter

Lots of people seem to be using their 360 as a media centre, either playing directly or streaming from a PC. I think mine is too noisy for that, but I'm keen to hear how people are coping with the noise. Do you tolerate it and simply increase the volume of you TV/amp, or are you trying to reduce the perceived noise somehow (e.g. sticking your 360 in an AV cabinet)?
You just have to tolerate the terrible build quality and noise because of the choice and quality of games. If the PS3 had good games, I wouldn't have a 360.
I only use the 360 as a games machine because it is terrible at everything else, whereas the PS3 can be used for Blu-ray, DVD, media etc.
I tend to play games pretty loud to compensate for the "Jumbo jet vs Slayer" effect the 360 adds to the environment.

The first on my mind is why Microsoft don't sell it for £100 more and hire some Sony Engineers to design it properly in the first place!:mad:
(I am far from a fanboy of Sony and wouldn't ever normally buy products from such a main stream company but feel that the PS3 is an outstanding piece of engineering.)

The second question I have is:
If you had to buy fans and a DVD drive that are as noisy as the ones in the 360, could you actually purchase such items from Computer retailers?

Creamstick

Novice Member
I sold my first 360, which was pretty noisy when reading from a disc, but pretty much silent when on the dash or streaming. The one I have now, the fans are loud as hell when in the dash or streaming, and when it's reading a disc, the drive noise is such that it's louder than the combi boiler in my kitchen.

So, I spent £30 buying long leads, and stuck it in the cupboard.

It's even louder now. It's sitting on a chest of drawers in the kind-of walk-in closet in my living room, with 5ft of clear space above it, 3ft infront, two feet behind and on each side. The small room is acting like a speaker cabinet or acoustic chamber, so even with the door closed it's louder than it was under my TV. I was playing the other night with headphones on (my daughter woke up during the night, so i brought her into the living room to go back to sleep and put the headphones on), and I could still hear the drive and fan noise. Unbelieveable.

I'm looking to get rid of this one, and buy a Falcon/HDMI one in the hope that it's at least quiet(er) on the dash, as it's ruining playing HDDVDs or streaming movies due to the noise.

J8NTS

Standard Member
Just out of interest, is anyone using noise-canceling headphones when playing games? Any benefit, or has Microsoft engineered the wrong kind of noise too? Might give it a try.

dbwinter

I'm looking to get rid of this one, and buy a Falcon/HDMI one in the hope that it's at least quiet(er) on the dash, as it's ruining playing HDDVDs or streaming movies due to the noise.
I have just bought a new Falcon HDMI 360 and it is as noisy as the previous generation ones.

lapino

Seems Microsoft is far from concerned about the noise the 360 makes, it just is very obvious that getting it silent was NOT a thing that was considered during design phase. I still cannot understand why Microsoft keeps using those awful DC Brushless fans, they're noisy, not that effective but probably dirt cheap. If Microsoft would design the 360 to use better quality fans, so it's quiet at the dash, at least the 360 would be useable as a media center for movies/pictures/music. The drive won't ever be silent like the PS3 due to the constant streaming the 360 needs, but at least make a silent console when people are not using it for games!

Jamsi

Standard Member
Yesterday night when I turned on my console, I made on observation. I noticed that the xbox itself wasn't tp blame for all the noise. It was it's power supply that caused the most irritating noise!! It was this highish sort of buzzing noise (which I don't seem to be able to describe properly due to my bad english :) ). It's very irritating.

Have other noticed anything similar, or am i just basically hearing voices :confused:.....

lapino

Nope, even the PSU is getting louder with the 175w. I noticed this immediately after starting up the Falcon I bought. The PSU makes a high pitched noise (there's a little fan inside there), the 360 has the dreaded DC Brushless fans and the drive sounds like a Boeing taking off. I keep telling myself "play it, it has great games" but every time I start to focus on the noise, I want to throw it out of the window.

Jamsi

Standard Member
Nope, even the PSU is getting louder with the 175w. I noticed this immediately after starting up the Falcon I bought. The PSU makes a high pitched noise (there's a little fan inside there), the 360 has the dreaded DC Brushless fans and the drive sounds like a Boeing taking off. I keep telling myself "play it, it has great games" but every time I start to focus on the noise, I want to throw it out of the window.
Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about...that high potched noise. It's really annoying!!
The fact that you have to max out the AV-system volume or use headphones to cover the noises of console/PSU is not a very good feature in a multimedia console!!!
:thumbsdow MS!!

MichaelJP

Standard Member
I really hope Microsoft release a better engineered 360 soon.

I have a Wii and recently got a PS3; it's so quiet and runs really cool. Despite the 360 having some great titles (Bioshock, H3) I just can't bear to turn it on any more.

I would replace it with a quiet version like a shot. Until then I don't think it's going to get much use.

lapino

Kinda the same here. If Microsoft releases a 360 which is quiet, both on the dash and while playing games (at least up to PS3 levels), I'll buy one in an instant.

I really hope Microsoft release a better engineered 360 soon.

I have a Wii and recently got a PS3; it's so quiet and runs really cool. Despite the 360 having some great titles (Bioshock, H3) I just can't bear to turn it on any more.

I would replace it with a quiet version like a shot. Until then I don't think it's going to get much use.
Sounds like your owning a games console for the wrong reasons then...

Its meant to play games and although its not the quietest of things it does what it says on the tin -- Plays games!

I would imagine most ps3's are silent as there is no games really to play on them!

lapino

That's just a stupid remark. I have both and love playing my PS3 as well as my 360. The PS3 has very good games like Uncharted, Ratchett&Clank, Fifa08, COD4, Warhawk and quite a bit of aaa titles coming along pretty soon.

The 360 is very loud compared to the PS3 -ESPECIALLY- while playing games (PS3 stays about on the same level, 360 sounds like it's about to take off). I'm playing through Mass Effect now, and while it's a very good game (albeit with very annoying stuttering and framedrops on my console), the noise of the fans and drive is very intrusive.

Jamsi

Standard Member
Sounds like your owning a games console for the wrong reasons then...

Its meant to play games and although its not the quietest of things it does what it says on the tin -- Plays games!

I would imagine most ps3's are silent as there is no games really to play on them!
Quite a weird comment there. The 360 not solely ment to play games. Maybe primarily for that purpose, but I'm pretty sure that quite a high % of users use their consoles as a media-machine also. And I also think that's what MS aimed for.
I mean, of course it's a gaming console, but besides that there is media streaming, xboxLive...etc. And nobody can't argue that the bloody noise of this console really degrades the using experience on all grounds.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published