1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a DVD-A player should I get SACD too

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by graham.myers, Apr 30, 2003.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I've got a Denon 3800 which supports DVD Audio. So I ordered four discs from play to see what the fuss is about as the reviews seem great.

But I'm disappointed with the number of titles for mainstream audio titles.

So I'm considering also investing in a seperate SACD player (not another DVD player).

I've seen a Sony DVPNS705S on Empire Direct for £159.41 and Richer Sounds have the older model SCDXE670 for £119

Based on the CD quality of the Denon (through a Denon AVC-1D and into Kef THX Reference Series one across QED silver Anniversary) what are peoples thoughts on the quality of these two models.

If I'm going to play normal CDs with the SACD I obviously want better than the Denon

I haven't really thought of a budget but I don't want to spend as much as I did on the Denon.

Or should I shut up and wait for the SACD titles I want (DSOFM, Bat out of Hell etc) to come out on DVD Audio.

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A budget SACD player from Sony will play SACD's very well (better than a Pioneer combined player IMHO). But, it will be naff at CD's.

If you want to get a SACD player that beatws your 3800 for CD then you have to spend money, maybe Sony 333 or something.

SACD is worth it in my opinion, go for it but don't expect good CD replay.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I assume that the SACD player (if purchased) will utilise the 6ch in on my amp.

will CD playback be OK using the normal stereo phono inputs into the amp then?

forgive my ignorance in all things music - hell I like Celine Dion (in moderation)

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You may well wait a long time for titles to appear in both formats due to the commercial interests of the rival camps.
    It's worth looking at www.vivante.co.uk for a pretty full listing of what's available in all of the higher resolution formats...you may find some nice surprises there.

To answer your other question,the quality of the rest of your system will be out of proportion to a budget SACD player,and you may end up disappointed with the results.....I know it's not necessarily what you wanted to hear,but the Pioneer 757i and the Marantz DVD/SACD players are excellent,but more expensive than your original solution.It may be worth considering selling the Denon and looking at one good player for all the formats.

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I think if I flogged the Denon I may get a divorce thrown in for free.

6. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Vivante is pretty good for the listings but several www's are far better for price (e.g. Play, amazon etc)

7. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...also, unless going for a universal player, then it is worth considering how you will connect 2 x multi-channel players to a single AV unit. Most only cater for one set of 5.1 analogues.

This assumes that you are interested in 5.1 content of both DVD-A and SACD (where available-most is only 2ch). If just doing 2ch SACD then it's not an issue.

8. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    shall £50 quid do then sir :laugh:

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    ncpl will no doubt have seen I didnt necessarily say buy from Vivante!...the prices are pretty close to RRP,and graham,I do appreciate the risks in buying or selling things without the other half's approval!...I often find "reducing" the price helps!
    The Philips 963SA has had some very good reviews,but unfortunately comes out to the same price as the Pioneer 656,which will play pretty much everything.

10. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alex, I know you didn't say buy from them....just wanted to add a little more info. I have used Vivante myself but found that they went a bit cool on DVD-A last year. Made me shop around a bit more....