Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Got a Denon AVR-3802 - worth getting a power amp?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by BenPremium, Nov 23, 2003.

1. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered if it's worth getting a separate power amp for my front speakers?

I'm running Tannoy Revolution R3 fronts and these are the only speakers I'd really considering adding a separate amp for. Just wondering what kind of money you'd have to spend to get a decent power amp (or even a nice stereo amp and use that) to improve the sound?

I'm actually really happy with my current sound and as I mostly listen to mp3s via the PC it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Just curious :)

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    If you're only listening to mp3's,or predominantly,I really wouldn't sink a lot of money into another set of amps,as even at the highest sampling rates,they still sound pretty flat even by comparison with CD.

If you did want to run separate amps,you can begin at a few hundred pounds and keep going!.....seriously though,I wouldnt go much above £300-500 if you do....also have a look at ebay and ex-dem for suitable amps at decent prices.

3. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

My last amp was a NAD C350 which I think is around a couple of hundred but I certainly prefer the Denon over that so I was just wondering how much more I'd be looking to spend to improve. I guess like you say it's probably not worth it although I do use my setup for movies quite a bit so oomph is what i'm after :)

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Chips has an RMB-1075 for sale in the classifieds forum, which would significantly better your AVR3802 IMHO :).

It is a 5 channel poweramp however, and I think it's around £675, so perhaps more than you're looking to spend.

5. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I was lucky enough to own a 3802 and thought it a terrific performer. I was luckier still when I acquired a Rotel RB 985 Mk II power amp and hooked it up to the Denon, just utilising the Denon as a processor.

The difference in sound quality was staggering.........In every respect the Rotel made the Denon leap upwards in its performance. I can't explain in audiophile terms what was happening but the difference amazed everyone who heard it.

On another point, I used to own a Yamaha DSP 3090 (yes it really was that long ago.....) when I hooked it up to a NAD power amp it disabled the internal amps of the Yamaha and the NAD was the only power driving the Yammy, However with the Denon being driven by the Rotel it became apparent that the Denon's internal amps still operated.......this enabled me to bi amp my speakers.

I contacted Denon about this point to see if what was happening was supposed to happen but never got a definitive answer. Still, it did work:)

Regards

Parmenion