Got a dedicated HT room? How much do you use it vs your lounge?

password1

Distinguished Member
My living room is my dedicated HT room.

My lounge is one of the bedrooms converted.

I watch a film on average twice a month.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
We don't have a TV in the lounge, just music. But we have TV's in the kitchen (75"), Snug (40"), Bedroom (55"), and Shed (58"). I plan on moving the TV's around in the future, but not until we have some knocking around of rooms - which may take a couple of years.

The cinema has a 135" screen. It gets used two or three times a week. Although often with just one or two people watching (it seats 6).

I think it'd get used less if it were in a separate building, or maybe upstairs - but as the cinema room is directly off our kitchen/diner, it's very convenient to sneak in there after dinner and watch a movie!

Mashie Saldana

We only use the TV in the lounge for the six o'clock news. The HT is used every evening for Movies/TV series.

bongo123

i'll be coming into a situation over the next year or so when i decide to either dive fully into converting our garage into a HT or a plain summer house but the missus prefers to watch movies in our living room and cant really see wanting to exit the house and go sit in a garage to watch a movie when our living room complete with 55" OLED & Atmos Soundbar suits her to the ground, so i could end up spending a few thousand for her not wanting to use it

Mashie Saldana

i'll be coming into a situation over the next year or so when i decide to either dive fully into converting our garage into a HT or a plain summer house but the missus prefers to watch movies in our living room and cant really see wanting to exit the house and go sit in a garage to watch a movie when our living room complete with 55" OLED & Atmos Soundbar suits her to the ground, so i could end up spending a few thousand for her not wanting to use it
Got any bedroom that you could convert?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I live by myself. I use my front room to entertain and use HT room when I'm by myself.

Ultimately I'd say the current split is 70/30 in favour of dedicated room. Its quite nice because u know the majority of ur HT fund and gaming etc just needs to go to one room

HT room is an insane experience for guests but strangely unsociable due to the seating being a row pointed at a screen.

So people are normally dazzled by it but unless we're watching a film, most sociable activities end up being better in the front room (still has a PJ but non dedicated room).

I personally love a dedicated room because it allows you to push things to the limit.
In my dedicated room I have games consoles, a hoverboss, 2 mono 15s, a valve Index, base stations mounted up, lots of speakers including ones on the ceiling.. just things i know I'd not be able to get away with or have to heavily compromise in a lounge.

If my room is a bit wider I could have probably made it feel a bit more sociable but as it stands, probably can;t easily room orientation wise as the HT has to come first. I do have a big table at the back of the room which ppl can sit and eat and the people facing the screen can watch it I guess.

xxGBHxx

I have a dedicated HT room with a 130" screen.

We use it anything between 1-5 times a week. As someone else mentioned every single time I use it it's an event and I LOVE it. After almost 2 years the novelty hasn't worn off one bit (and I thought it might) and I would now never move house to somewhere where I couldn't have a dedicated room.

If I wasn't so tired and if my son didn't have school I would probably use it 7 nights of the week.

Best decision I ever made and worth every penny.

G

Arfa

I personally love a dedicated room because it allows you to push things to the limit.
Yep, I can see certainly see that point. There's a lot of stuff that just wouldn't go down well in your main lounge, from crazy amounts of kit to large chunks of acoustic treatment etc. In our last house with just a single room, my wife often criticised it for it being too much like a man-cave or student paradise than a lounge...

And yes, a more social lounge lends itself to seating facing one another, which will be at odds to speaker/screen positioning.

The loft home cinema room in our new place is just over 5m square, so I've got a lot to play with really.

abs

I've got a dedicated room with an 11ft wide 2:40 screen. It is definitely a better experience at home than the cinema. My first outgoing since lockdown ended was 'no time to die'. Loved the film but I've got better sound and picture at home. But saying that with work I'm in there maybe once every 2 weeks unless I'm on leave. But like someone else posted it's a thrill firing it all up and sitting back in my own cinema. I've got a 70inch philips ambilight in the smaller front room for daily viewing and shows.

MrNismo

When we bought a new house 5 years ago, the old owner used the second reception room as a dedicated HT room
Painted Matt black
Acoustic cloth rear wall
All fixings and wiring for his ceiling mounted projector.
I was devastated when the wife "claimed" the room for he piano making me rip all wires out and painting it white!

I was relegated to THE CELLAR :(

Blessing in disguise.

Now even when everyone has gone to bed I can pop down and watch at sofa rumbling levels.
If I was on the ground floor the bedroom doors upstairs would rattle :b

So I'm down there maybe 5 nights a week

THX1138UK

We predominantly watch our 65" Panasonic OLED in the living room during the week. We have a nice 5.1 setup, so the audio is good. We're mostly watching TV shows (dramas and comedies) during the week via streaming / catchup services.

We use the dedicated home cinema usually on a Saturday night to watch a movie. You just cannot beat a JVC projected image for enjoying films. I sometimes potter about in the home cinema on week nights, but it's usually to tweak something or to watch some demo content.

Years ago, I had an Epson projector in the living room (no TV). It was fine, but it took a few minutes to warm up - not great if you just want to pop the News on before heading off to work. In my opinion, TVs work best in living rooms (for mixed content viewing), and projectors work best in dedicated cinema rooms (for movies).

Regards,
James.

Attachments

• Cinema Room v2.0.jpg
    Cinema Room v2.0.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Living Room.jpg
    Living Room.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 12

Black 5

Purpose built room, used every day mostly just by me. Daytime use includes music too. No streaming, no internet, no tv signal. No neighbours so it’s used into the early hours.

g3tcs

Standard Member
I had a dedicated room and was an avid film watcher. Wife now on scene and prefers trash and pet rescue to a decent film. With the lights on…
Hence I drifted away and didn’t use the room at all, but did manage to slip in a decent OLED 4K 65” panny with bar and boom box into the lounge. In our second home on the coast is another similar 65” panny with Sonos beam.
Now we have moved house which has a massive fully decorated suite of rooms over the four bay garage with loo and kitchen plus I have another double garage that was used as a gym going begging to.
I find it difficult to find the enthusiasm for another ht build for a function that is so anti-social.
I’m afraid I have got used to swanning in the lounge and settling down to a pretty decent set up. A real quandary.

THX1138UK

I had a dedicated room and was an avid film watcher. Wife now on scene and prefers trash and pet rescue to a decent film. With the lights on…
Hence I drifted away and didn’t use the room at all, but did manage to slip in a decent OLED 4K 65” panny with bar and boom box into the lounge. In our second home on the coast is another similar 65” panny with Sonos beam.
Now we have moved house which has a massive fully decorated suite of rooms over the four bay garage with loo and kitchen plus I have another double garage that was used as a gym going begging to.
I find it difficult to find the enthusiasm for another ht build for a function that is so anti-social.
I’m afraid I have got used to swanning in the lounge and settling down to a pretty decent set up. A real quandary.

Shame your wife doesn't like the home cinema experience. You could always go a for mixed use media / entertaining room and have a roll down projection screen for occasional use, or go all out for a big TV . You can pickup a 77" LG B16 OLED for under £3000.

Regards,
James.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
We used to use the cinema room exclusively when we were a couple, but now there are little fingers around, we tend to spend more time as a family in the living room (chid safe!) and as THX says above, have a nice on-wall 5.1.2 setup which for the streaming services, casual TV watching and sports is a real joy.

We venture as a couple into the dedicated cinema room for movie nights - and if I get some alone time (rare these days!) I sneak off into here to watch sports too.

We've toyed with the idea of a mixed media living room - with drop down projector. But with the investment in the cinema room, we wanted to keep the two separate for different purposes. If anything - once little legs gets a little older, the TV room will simplify even further to perhaps a soundbar and spend money on a riser / second level of seating and make the cinema room more accessible for us as a family.

I think each family that is fortunate to have two spaces for similar purposes has to weigh up whats going to happen in each room. For me - I want to keep the TV room more for everyday and not go overboard any more with tech (i.e. when my mum comes over to babysit, I don't want her to be lost in making everything work etc).

Baggy

I tend to watch general TV in the living room on our 77” LG and movies in the dedicated garage room.
Like to get out there most days for a few hours.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom