Question Got a big surprise re 65 inch TV’s

kah22

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m carrying out some renovations at the moment and my current TV will be to small for the new room. With that in mind I popped into my local TV shop to look at 55 inch TV’s and was surprised to hear that 65 inch screens can be cheaper than the 55 inch. The manager showed me an LG one, which he admitted was entry level but cheaper than some of the 55 inch but did point out that the picture quality was not just as good.

I went home and looked up the Which? Best Buys 65 inch TV’s and two that struck my attention were the LG 65UK6400PLF and the LG 65UM7400PLB with the latter just shading it for an extra £30. However, I’m sure that if I hunt around a bit I’d get a better price than Which? suggests.

As a senior citizen I don’t really need an all singing and all dancing TV, I’m just a casual user, TV, Netflix that sort of thing. Does PVR Recording mean that PVR facilities are built into the TV? I realise that a small difference on a big screen would be more noticeable than on a smaller screen.

I know that sometimes Which? Reviews can be wide of the mark so I though I’d come here and ask your views. Perhaps you’d also pass a few comments on the TV’s mention

Thanks guys for any advice you can offer. It will probably be a 4 /5 weeks yet before I’ll be in the market

Kevin

Does PVR Recording mean that PVR facilities are built into the TV?

Yes, usually a largish capacity USB stick or HDD.
But, unless the set you buy has twin tuners you can only record the channel you're watching.
You'd set it to record from the Freeview or Freesat guide. You cannot record from a USB or any AV input and recordings can only be played back on that TV.
Some can series link but they can be a bit of a faff and you're better off using a separate PVR.

I’m carrying out some renovations at the moment and my current TV will be to small for the new room. With that in mind I popped into my local TV shop to look at 55 inch TV’s and was surprised to hear that 65 inch screens can be cheaper than the 55 inch. The manager showed me an LG one, which he admitted was entry level but cheaper than some of the 55 inch but did point out that the picture quality was not just as good.

A 65" set is unlikely to be cheaper than a 55" version of the same model (unless it's a very specific promotion or special offer on the larger set), so presumably they'll either be from lesser/cheaper ranges than the 55" TVs you've seen or they'll be out-going 2019 65" models, which might well be cheaper than the newer 2020 55" equivalents.

I went home and looked up the Which? Best Buys 65 inch TV’s and two that struck my attention were the LG 65UK6400PLF and the LG 65UM7400PLB with the latter just shading it for an extra £30. However, I’m sure that if I hunt around a bit I’d get a better price than Which? suggests.

The LG UM7400 gets a mention in Dodgexander's latest guide to the best value TVs - it has an IPS panel which gives wider viewing angles but this comes at the expense of contrast, blacks and dark-room performance which means it's a good choice if you watch TV in the daytime from a variety of seating positions, but if you like watching movies in the evening directly in front of the TV with the lights out, then a different TV with a VA panel might be a better option. The reality is that most people will do a bit of both, so you might have to decide which aspect is more important to you. Cheaper LCDs also tend to be fine for SDR sources, but don't perform as well as the higher ranges with HDR.

TV models are refresh annually in the spring so you've no chance of finding an LG model starting UK. The K denotes a 2018 revision and it's been discontinued for over a year.

You may find some remaining stock of the UM6400 model as that was last year's revision. This year's LG mid-range models start UN, but are likely to be a fair bit more money like for like at this point in time (TVs launch at high prices and decrease over the year).

New factories have come online in the last year or two which mean that making 65" and 75" panels involve less wasted material than previously, so prices have come down and are coming down on those two sizes.

......the LG UM7400 gets a mention in Dodgexander's latest guide to the best value TVs - it has an IPS panel which gives wider viewing angles but this comes at the expense of contrast, blacks and dark-room performance which means it's a good choice if you watch TV in the daytime from a variety of seating positions, but if you like watching movies in the evening directly in front of the TV with the lights out, then a different TV with a VA panel might be a better option. The reality is that most people will do a bit of both, so you might have to decide which aspect is more important to you. Cheaper LCDs also tend to be fine for SDR sources, but don't perform as well as the higher ranges with HDR.
most unlikely I’ll be watching during the day, Saturday afternoon, occasionally. The 5 o’clock news reasonably regular.
I’m glad I asked this questio, there seem so much to consider 😓

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom