1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a 2109 - worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by barnabybear, Sep 20, 2003.

1. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Well, my DVD player for quite a while has been an antique Toshiba 2109, which I'm pretty happy with and has been a good player (And of course when it first came out was highly praised for pic quality, though not necessarily the best sound).
    Anyway, time moves on and I'm starting to wonder if it's time to invest in something newer and shinier to sit under the telly:D

I'd value anyone's opinion on this - If I bought a new player, would I notice better picture quality than my old one (Using the logic that technology has bound to have improved), or as my player was one of the good ones - would there be no difference. I was wondering if maybe a new Pioneer or Panasonic would be a good one.

On a slightly different note, I know there is a new Toshiba all-in-one - the SD-43HK, the review mags say that picture quality is compromised compared to a stand alone, does anyone agree with this? or is it something most people wouldn't notice unless they have a £15,000 top notch projection set-up.

Thanks again - any opinions are welcome.

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Just upgraded my 2109. I decided not to spend a stack. £200 for a 565. That way I can upgrade again net year when a new fad comes out.

565 does SACD & DVD-D. I bought it for that. Also has a much better build quality. can't say I've noticed an improvement in picture. Maybe only slightly if anything.

3. Brian Hussey

Brian Hussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    barnabybear,
    My first player was a 2109 and it was a superb machine. I have since bought two more, all Toshibas, and in my opinion improvements are very marginal, at best.
    Unless you are thinking of the high end of the market and the 2109 is still operating properly, save your money.

Brian.

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    This is sensible advice.

Unless you have a PS capable display device, it will cost you a lot of money for real PQ improvement, The Tosh sd900e which can be got for 500.00 is your best bet for an improvemnt for not to much money, anything less than 1000.00 will bring improvements in sound over PQ.

Regards

Steven