1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gordon - calibration done - results !

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by eddiewww, May 20, 2003.

1. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi Guys,

Had the pleasure of Gordons (Convergent AV) company over the weekend and had my Panny 5 series calibrated.... so i thought i would share the experience.

Firstly - the results are great ! I have the Avia test disc and have tweaked the settings to get the best out of my display... but i suppose like most people i did the colour test and there were a whole load more that were beyond me.... not Gordon !

As my setup is in a real environment..i.e a sitting room, not a dedicated AV room... the ambient light is comparatively high... after the application of some bin bags and tape it was down enough to get started....

Firstly a calibration unit is placed a short distance from the screen and connected to Gordons laptop with the relevant software running. The Avia disc goes in and all the readings are taken... then tweaking via the service menu.... while checking on the laptop the O/P from the unit... all the while getting all just right.
    Repeat for all I/P's and for all formats and job done !!

I had some "he is doing what !!" from the usual sources... completely baffled that i needed somebody from Scotland to come down and adjust the contrast on my TV... but i am more than happy with the PQ.... Gordon chucked on some test DVD's...5th Element etc... and he was happy too... the acid test for me is football and golf...all those blocky greens and close up flesh tones don’t do to well splashed across 42" of glass, i have only had a chance to check out a few minutes and it looked a lot better... my PS2 also looked a lot better.... good old eastenders with there close ups of that old moose Cat can show acres of flesh and it even looked tempting on my calibrated beauty..

Of course not everything is gone.... what would i do with my life if everything was perfect ??!!

BUT...

The revelation of the day was in something else... i asked him to bring one of his Mains cables so i could check it out.... not so long ago i would have thought that swapping out a mains cable for a different one would have brought perhaps an increase in length and not much else... but i read Russ Andrews bits and pieces on his site and thought i would give it a go... he basically says that since all the energy used to create the O/P, be it sound or light comes from electric...so making sure that is as it should be is as important as anything.... i tried one on my Meridian kit... and after a few weeks,... nothing..nada...zip.... everything sounded good, but it always did !... i got round the back of my kit and swapped them back and got ready to send them back for a refund... Russ offers this as standard... i put back on the album i had been listening to and.... wow... it was flat..lifeless... put the Russ Andrews in again and it was all back.... they did work !! just needed running in...so i am a believer now !!
    Gordons have a different construction etc... but have the same goal... i swapped my Russ Andrews lead from my Meridian player and noticed an improvement immediately!! I have since listened and done some A/B swaps and it is a lot airier and the soundstage is even deeper and wider...
    I now have it plugged into the plasma... perhaps some of the improvements noted above have been down to the lead...i expect so... i am going to leave it in situ for a while and swap back...see if i get the same effect as before !!

Anyway in summary.... highly recommended…. Both things !!

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,712
    Wouldn't this have been better off in the plasma forum?

Andy

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Yes, this should be in the plasma forum.

eddiewww, I'll get Gordon to visit my Panny5 50" one day -- won't I RAMiAM? ;) Apologies for the in-joke there. So I am pleased to hear that results are impressive, looking forward to it even more now.

Mains cables, I've been playing with them a great deal (see the DIY forum) and know they can make a huge difference; if you have Sky you should try Mark Grant's Sky cable, the difference in picture quality is amazing.

StooMonster

4. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And there was I feeling like a nerd for using a Russ Andrews mains cable and Silencer on my Panny4 :blush:

Yes maybe a kindly moderator might move it over...

Andrew_B

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Glad all is well Eddie. Busy weekend I had.

Stoo, don't think you've been waiting long, Eddie has been trying to get me over since wel before XMAS I think....

About the Umbilical. The dem where Eddie noticed an immediate improvement was when we went from the RA nutter filtered mains block and leads to DVD player to my lead direct to a wall socket by-passing all RA stuff.

Gordon

6. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    yes...it would have been better in the right forum !!! i was distracted by work !!

yes the PQ is better... and the sound.... is marks cable a mains cable ??

eddie...

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Yes it's a mains cable for Sky boxes, either with Figure-8 or unterminated; also silver plated plugs as option.

Check out the DIY forum for reviews. IMO amazing results.

StooMonster

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    It's all that RAMiAM's fault! ;)

I don't mind waiting Gordon, will be glad to see you one day.

StooMonster

9. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    i know its getting off topic... not bad for a thread in the wrong forum !!!

stoomonster... have you found something better to power your i-scan ?? or you happy the power unit is good enough ??