Question GoPro virgin, be gentle, Hero 4 or 5, silver/black?

brad123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to get into the GoPro scene. I do cycling, mountain biking, running etc. Whats all this silver, black stuff and should I get Hero 4 Black or Hero 5 Black? The smaller session ones that are cheaper are they any good? How long do batteries last? Whats maximum GB card you can have and how long a timeframe can you video for?

Thanks

I'd go for a Hero 5 Black over the Hero 4 black, the newer model ditches the dive case for a simpler frame and it has an LCD screen and controls built into it.

I've got a couple of GoPro4 Sessions and I like them for their small size/weight and lack of dive case, makes them quick and easy to use when cycling (have a chest and helmet mount). The main problem with them is that you can't change the battery so you can't carry a few spares to extend their runtime.

I believe the GoPro4 and 5's will take up to 128GB although I only use 32 or 64GB cards which offer plenty of space. The batterylife depends a lot on what settings you're using although with the Sessions I don't tend to get much more than an hour out of them.

DPR did a roundup and they highlighted the Yi 4k as having much better batterylife:

2016 Roundup: 4K action cameras

I have bought one but not tried it out yet, it's quite clumsy compared to the Sessions as it needs a fairly bulky dive case to use with a gopro mount.

John

Hero 5 for sure. Don't bother with going backwards and the 5 has much better features, a screen and waterproof out of the box.

Personally not a fan of the session for reasons mentioned above.

John Lewis offer a 2 year warranty [emoji106]

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom