• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Google TV with Sky App? maybe Sling?

Xorro

Established Member
I have stumbled upon Google TV and I see that you can get dongles quite cheaply. Could someone tell me whether it would be possible to install the Slingplayer app on it (I have a slingbox solo), or possibly the Sky app? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to what you can do with the Google TV dongles - such as whether they come with pre-determined apps and software.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to find an easy way to stream Sky to a bedroom upstairs, it's just out of range for my Xenta Wireless kit. There's no RF cable routed upstairs either.

Thanks

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
There are no GoogleTV dongles, your confusing Android sticks which run the Android 4 tablet OS and the official GoogleTV OS which is a separate platform and the only GTV available in the UK is the one from Sony.

Slingplayer is available for Android you'll need to use a wireless USB mouse with one if using an Android stick (you can plug in a USB hub).

Sky Go might be more tricky, compatibility with Android apps is not always guaranteed and Sky are the type to have lots of DRM in their app, there are a huge number of negative reviews of the Sky Go on Google Play market store.

Xorro

Established Member
Ah yes, I did get a bit muddled up there.

So the answer is I can use an Android stock and install the sling player app on it, but I needs mouse to control the app?

I assume the stick plugs in to the TV via HDMI and has a USB port on it for the mouse?

next010

Distinguished Member
Ah yes, I did get a bit muddled up there.

So the answer is I can use an Android stock and install the sling player app on it, but I needs mouse to control the app?

I assume the stick plugs in to the TV via HDMI and has a USB port on it for the mouse?

Yup, Android is meant for touch so the only way to use it without a touch screen is a mouse. Preferably one which does not need a driver, any Microsoft USB mouse should do the trick.

Xorro

Established Member
Thank you.

BTW, how do you install stuff on it, can I connect it via USB to my Mac?

next010

Distinguished Member
You can get apps through the Google Play store or side load (USB/SD card) them via an APK installer, ES File Explorer on the Google Play store can do the job also as an APK installer.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom