Question Google to YouTube transfer

The Soup Dragon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
It's my first post and I'm probably in the wrong section so I apologise in advance.
Some years ago I went over to the dark side and changed from IPhone to Samsung.
I transferred all my iTunes music into files on my Samsung and I continued this process with every new Samsung using Google Play to play the music files.
I don't subscribe to Google Play so do I assume I can continue to access my music files using another platform as GooglePlay keeps telling me to transfer it all to YouTube? I use my daughter's Amazon Music account to listen to anything else that's not on my transferred files, so are they safe if I don't transfer them over?
Do I just play them on Amazon instead?
I'm so confused.com.....
Sorry for being an older person who's lagging behind in the tech dept. Who would guess I used to work for Sevenoaks Hifi in a previous life!
Please help :0(

YouTube Music is replacing Google Play Music so any music you have there will need to be transferred otherwise they'll be lost.

It's a fairly straightforward process although YTM doesn't have some of the options available in GPM.

Once they've transferred over you can do pretty do what you're doing now.

You don't have to be a subscriber to Google Play Music in order to transfer your music files over to YouTube Music. As long as you've got a Google account you're all set to go. Easy enough to do. Just download the YouTube Music app and go to settings. Scroll down to 'Transfer from Google Play Music' and tap. You don't need to keep you're phone or pc on as it's all done their end.

Edit;
This is assuming that you've already uploaded your music files to Google Play Music.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies, regarding your assumption that I have downloaded my files to Google Play, I have not. That's why I hoped I could just leave them where they were safe on my phone as I believe I have the option to access them on Amazon Music. Or any other playback app for that matter.
Is this correct or am I making it up? 🤔

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom