Google sync contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by funkyspider, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I currently have a Gmail push account (m.google.com) set up with Mail and Calendars enabled, but with contacts disabled.

If I switch Contacts from OFF to ON will it keep all contacts on my phone and copy them to Google, or will it remove my phone contacts - which would be a complete nightmare.

The instructions fro setting up contacts sync says

13. Unless you want to delete all the existing Contacts and Calendars on your phone, select the Keep on my iPhone option when prompted. This will also allow you to keep syncing with your computer via iTunes.

but I'm not setting up a new account, will it ask me if I toggle it for an existing account?

BTW : The reason I want to do this is I'm getting a HTC Desire to play with Android app development so I want to have all my iPhone contacts on the Desire so I can easily use either device.

Ta

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,520
    It used to be the case that it would delete all contacts. But i recently set up my GF's 3GS for Google sync and I seem to remember there is now an option to keep all contacts on the phone, which must have been added in an update. However i might have miss remembered that.

But it does not matter. If you are worried about deleting all your contacts get the app in the app store called 'Sync in a blink'. This will send all your contacts to your Google account, so even if your existing iPhone contacts are deleted, once you sync with Google sync your contacts will sync back and your good to go.