Google Stadia is a game streaming service for “any device”

D

Deleted member 765458

"
It’s official: Google is a gaming company (among other things). The company says the goal of its new Stadia game streaming service is to make it easy to game anywhere, any time.

You don’t need a high-end gaming PC. And you don’t even need to wait for a game to download.

Just fire up a web browser on your PC or an app on your phone, tablet, or smart TV and you can begin playing right away.

"

https://liliputing.com/2019/03/google-stadia-is-a-game-streaming-service-for-any-device.html

So rent to play? Costs will define the service I think.

Bizarre way of combating lag, their controller will bypass your hardware and connect directly to the server using WiFi. Could help I suppose that the commands go direct to the source running the title and your own hardware won't cause delays handing off the commands.

the specs on what they are offering are next gen with 10.7 teraflop GPU. the thing that shocked me was that 1080p gaming requires a 25mbps connection but they are offering 4k 60fps at launch how fast connection will you need for that?

im not opposed to it but the most important things such as games available and price of the service weren't available

Really interested in this. If anyone can pull this off it’s Google. They have all the expertise they need and mountains of money. If they get this right it’ll really shake up the industry.

My old fart brain can't get around how something being streamed to your browser and reacting to your button pushes can be on par to something installed locally on your console/pc with wired controllers.

Unless you have gigabit internet speeds that are on par with hard drives and SSDs now.

choosing doom as a launch title is brave as this is a game where fairly fast reflexes are required and any lag will expose the stream speeds. It'll probably be like Youtube where you go from 720 to 360p when your 4g speed cuts out LOL

*edit*
Looking at that Doom 2016 and there is the worrying signs of stutter, however the new Doom Eternal seems to perform better.

Last edited:
when ive used PlayStation now its worked fine for me played several games on it so streaming doesnt really bother me and i like the idea of just having to buy a chromecast and a controller.

it will come down to 3 things whats your internet like, what games are on there and what price is it. if its just got an old selection of games from a few years ago im alot less interested. it needs to have new games on the day of release and be about £10 a month

Last edited:
What games did you play on it out of interest? I think Sony bought out the OnLive and Gaikai platforms and that's what makes up the basis of Playstation Now. I expect Googles Stadia to be even more technically adept but we'll see.

ive played these game on playstation now killzone, uncharted 2, infamous festival of blood, resident evil code veronica, last of us left behind, god of war chains of olympus, vanishing of ethan carter, god of war ghost of sparta, SOMA, everybodys gone to the rapture.

i didnt have a single problem while playing any of them

Wow, impressive!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've managed to stream my home Xbox halfway around the world, from the UK to Bangkok to play Hitman 2.

I've also played Bioshock on geForceNow, that was seriously impressive quality at 1080p and 60fps locked.

If it is £10 a month that £120.00 a year + fast broadband . it is a wait and see.

i would use it the way i use game pass to play stuff i other wise might not buy.

not instead of ps5 xbox as well as

i will say as much as consumers accept the streaming model its not actually very profitable and at a time when games are getting more expensive and have to sell more and more to be profitable im not sure how going streaming will help it may actually make things worse in the long term

If it is £10 a month that £120.00 a year + fast broadband . it is a wait and see.
They may have a free version like they do on basically all there services(youtube included) but just have some in-game advertisements or limit player time per game ?

I'd rather Google buy up every old school game on MAME and stream those so we have an easy access and legit form of emulation to play anywhere.

Google's approach seems to me to be a good way to expand the games market and could easily become a major player in the market

The next generation PS5 and XBox Two, are likely to be fairly expensive (£400 upwards?) and their top tier games are likely to be in the same £40 to £50 range as current gen new releases. That means that you have a starting investment of around £500 to get a console and some initial games. If you buy 6 games per year that could cost you around £240 per year.

Against this you would have Google Stadia. If Google can price this correctly (£15/£20 per month?) and get some compelling game titles then this will be a viable gaming platform for many gamers.

The best experience is likely to remain the 5th gen console or PC route but this may be the chosen route only for more committed gamers.

I don't see internet speed being a huge issue in the UK. Yes, you will probably find that half the UK population cannot get decent internet speeds at launch but being able to target the remaining 50% still gives Google a decent market to aim for. They don't have to worry about reaching the entire population. As internet speeds increase over time the service will become available to an ever larger proportion of the population. Google are also likely to be looking at this over the medium to long term - it may take a couple of years to get it off the ground. Google have the finances to support such a long term move with potentially slow take up.

One key point is that Google have gained from Youtube a detailed understanding about the bandwidth that customers have and compressing video efficiently.

Stadia also offers a much more efficient approach for streaming games to Youtube - a growing market. Currently if you are playing a game on-line and streaming to Youtube you have the graphics generated by your console, while interacting with remote servers for playing the game. Your video stream then has to be forwarded to Youtube via your internet upload link - generally much slower than your download link. Using Stadia the graphics engine for the stream is running within Googles data centre - possibly co-located with Youtube. You could stream much higher quality video directly from the graphics engine to Youtube without that data ever having to go over the internet.

If I was Sony or Microsoft I would be concerned by Stadia. It could be that users at the more casual end of the gaming spectrum move to streaming options such as Google - and committed gamers who are willing to pay for the best possible experience go for PC based solutions. That could squeeze the market for the middle ground of games consoles considerably.

Players using Stadia wont need much hardware at home but to generate good quality graphics Google will still need to buy a large amount of graphics hardware. However, these can be used far more efficiently (from a financial perspective) than graphics cards at home. If you buy a powerful games console/PC with a decent graphics card and game for around 2.5 hours a day, then for 90% of the time your expensive hardware is inactive - or in other words it has a 10% utilisation rate. Google can utilise their gaming hardware far more efficiently as it is likely that gamers around the world will use the hardware in Googles data centres at different times throughout the day. (They still have to be able to cope with peak demand though which could be expensive.)

it will come down to games and price

its like most things google it will die a death after 5 years and google will loose interest.

i think xbox are doing it right have all the options available console, pc, gamepass downloads, xcloud streaming, mobile integration, switch integration. fingers in lots of pies to appeal to every body

publishers and developers have to also wonder how they make money out of this

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom