Google snoops on your online purchase history using Gmail!!!!!

I don't know why things like this still, or ever, surprise people?

I get calendar appointments and map directions when a hotel booking confirmation arrives in my inbox so it's obviously looking.

Shock, surprise, horror and I would never had imagined that said most people.

Start worrying when adverts match previous conversations and thoughts ;)

Ok

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190520_085310.jpg
    Screenshot_20190520_085310.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 143
Supermarkets track your purchases with their cards as do most shops and chains who ask for your name and address or have “clubs”. Can’t say it matters to me that much......

yeah found this out about google recently while rooting around in my account
big list of my purchases. not impressed so i've made a few changes
it's a big thing for sure and tesco have been at it for years with their clubcard.
some companies are getting more blatant, i was in screwfix making a purchase and before i'd done anything i was asked for my surname postcode email address. why? i asked. 'it's for a backup of your receipt' :confused: oh and mainly our market research ;)

I have loads on my page but the worrying thing is how much i have wasted on stuff i did not need and no longer have.

Supermarkets track what you buy even without the loyalty card if you use a payment card.
They've been at it for years, the article is from 2013.
It's fine because they don't contact you about it (apparently) and you agreed when you got your bank/credit card :eek:.

Even if you haven't handed over your details and product preferences through a loyalty scheme, it's likely you have used a debit or credit card to pay for your shopping at some point – and this is another way that the supermarkets can track what we buy.

"We know that an anonymised card number paid for a particular basket of groceries one week and how much was spent with the same card number the following week," says a Morrisons spokesperson. "It means we know when customers are lapsing because we won't see their card for a week. We use it to measure the effectiveness of promotions and events."
When asked whether its customers give permission for their card numbers to be tracked in this way, the supermarket says customers "would only need to opt in" if Morrisons intended to send them any form of communication.

"All the large grocers track payment cards in this way," says Matthew Harrop at data analysis firm emnos. "All your till receipts are linked together using either a known customer identifier – or anonymously in the absence of a loyalty card – to analyse what you're buying and how loyal you are."
How supermarkets get your data – and what they do with it

Screwfix ask for your surname and postcode because they're a builders merchant so some of their supplier pricing will be dependent on that status.
I'm not defending it and you can always give them someone else's details if you prefer ;)

If you want to avoid becoming a marketing database record you pretty much have to stop shopping online and pay cash for what you buy in person.

I'm prepared to let Gmail snoop on my receipts in exchange for free email.
Just like I'm prepared to let them know where I am (some of the time) in exchange for free SatNav.
If you're not then you need to look at a service where you pay them.

Maybe I'm naïve but I don't see the problem.

Google knows loads about me but as far as I'm concerned, they offer a useful service.

Tesco knows loads about me too but they use it to give me voxuhers for things I actually want to buy instead of just discounting things I don't want.

It helps me as far as I can tell.

I always assumed they knew any purchases that has some receipt via gmail as they can tell me things about the delivery which I thought was really handy.
I have location turned on all the time, use Google Pay, Google Photo's, and the office type apps.
Oh and have Google homes, and Alexa's ;)

I can't say any of this bothers me.
The only items that I'm careful about is Chinese ip-cams

IMHO Google has created amazing products over the years, which I feel so lucky to have access to, and lived during a period where all this is available without asking me for actual money.

Knowing what I buy, and where I am, both of which can help a lot, is a tiny price to pay.
Perhaps as I'm not up to anything very interesting is one reason for this?

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :eek:

oh... it's Google. nevermind.

I don't mind google etc knowing about me, however, it could have some disadvantages when searching for items - then the results will be tailored to me when I don't always want them to be, my homepage on youtube tends to show the same kind of videos (based on what I've watched) when at times I fancy something different etc...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom