Google Pixel Phones

One of the main problems Google have is that the new phones aren't available directly from all UK carriers. The iPhone and Samsung Galaxy phones can all be bought from UK carriers, but the new Pixel phones are only available via EE. (Although you can get them on contracts from all carriers if you go through Carphone Warehouse)

Last edited:
Oneplus phones have good build but dont have best in class display, camera or battery though lol
There isn't a single flagship that can claim best in class in all of those areas, so you have to pay your money and make your choice based on which feature is most important.

I was ready to pay £400, maybe £450 for the base model. £600 is just ridiculous.

I'll be going for the performance of the OnePlus 3 at £329. lol.

I'd say Samsung have oneplus beat on those counts and therefore don't cost £450.

If you expected Nexus pricing with the Pixel then you have to get your head around the fact that the Nexus line is dead and the Pixel is something else completely.

What Oneplus are doing is extremely unique because they're a much smaller and focused operation (reflected in their inability to meet demand often) and they can be more nimble and flexible in their approach. They only do phones at the moment so that helps too!

Weird. When I saw the headlines, I thought that Google had nailed it.

But:

No waterproofing.
No OIS (yes, this matters)
The price!!!

Google have neither the experience, the hardware, infrastructure or the quality of phone to justify that price. They cannot sell an experience like Apple does and cannot dream of providing the same level of customer service, like Apple (at this point )

Makes me realise even more what a truly brilliant phone my S7 is.

Google have tied the gyros to the camera so apparently have got around any judder or jelly movement for video. Time will tell with the reviews

How is it greed compared to other phone manufacturers? Google make money not from hardware but from storing, collecting and using our data, they weren't ever really a hardware company and their prices reflected that. After yesterdays launch revealing their new strategy it's clear they want to take over far more of the design choices and go the premium route now which is why Nexus is dead and Pixel is here and that means higher prices with more marketing. Compared to the Pixel Chromebook and C Tablet it's clear these new devices are meant to compete at the higher end of device market. From now till January I expect lots of Pixel marketing on UK shores because they're certainly going after Apple and Amazon now way more than ever before.

The pixel Chromebooks were crazy then and still are. I thought the whole point of Chromebooks were they are cheap and simple to get people online using Google's services. Most are sub £300 then Google went mad and sold the pixel for over £1000, in not sure who in their right mind would but those over a Mac book or laptop.

I'm not sure what Google's game is with the pixels, they all sound good but not good enough to buy over the other equivalent price point devices. Like with the Chromebook I'm not sure who would buy the pixel c over an iPad or cheaper android tablet, and the phone is the same position now of being good but in excellent company.

I agree in regards to the Chromebook and Tablet, they were/are crazy devices well made but not really realistic in terms of mass sales. Average joe have opted for cheaper rivals despite decent reviews. However I think the Pixel phone is better pitched hardware wise, I just think Google have overestimated how many people will opt for all their Google services at the price point rather than simply pay for Apple or Samsung hardware/services.

I like the fabric VR headset as well, that price point isnt bad, will be interesting to see how well suported it becomes. From a total launch point of view everything looks like Google is aggressively fighting for the living room space as well as mobile but I don't think Google are sexy enough to pull it off. Chromecast did well because it was so cheap, I guess some 4k hdr owners will want to upgrade theirs adapters for £60+ but everything elese . . . . . I dunno

They did a demo during the announcement showcasing the software image stabilisation and it was very impressive. You should check it out.

Paul
I will do and, knowing Google, they will have it implemented nicely.

I guess I'm just a bit puzzled. Priced a little lower, I think it would have been almost a no brainer for many. As it is, I remain unconvinced it is worth its RRP.

Design is also 'meh' IMO, although pleased that it's got no camera bump.

It's a real shame the 'Home' isn't launching here yet as that seems a bargain at $129. I'll certainly be checking one out when they do hit the UK.

Paul

As it is, I remain unconvinced it is worth its RRP.
I don't disagree and price was one of the main reasons I didn't buy a Nexus 6. If the wife hadn't just spent a small fortune on her iPhone 7 Plus, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger so quickly...

Paul

I don't disagree and price was one of the main reasons I didn't buy a Nexus 6. If the wife hadn't just spent a small fortune on her iPhone 7 Plus, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger so quickly...

Paul
I have no doubt it's going to be a really nice phone and will be intrigued by Assistant and their product roadmap.

For better or worse, my entire life is now on Google's servers so I can definitely see myself buying one in the future but it has to tick a few more boxes and lose a few more £s before that happens.

Maybe free unlimited online storage of your photos = but you will have paid the price of entry via the handset cost :D

The main thing I care about is Cost Of Ownership.

We all know how easy it is to sell an old iPhone, and now the high end Samsung models are a good sale.

How much with a Pixel XL we worth in say 2 years secondhand compared to a iPhone 7 Plus?

Price really does not matter, it's how much it's worth when you sell it that matters.

Were there any Nexus 6P deals on Black Friday last year?

Keen on getting a 128GB XL but £820 is really steeper than I'd like.

The main thing I care about is Cost Of Ownership.

We all know how easy it is to sell an old iPhone, and now the high end Samsung models are a good sale.

How much with a Pixel XL we worth in say 2 years secondhand compared to a iPhone 7 Plus?

Price really does not matter, it's how much it's worth when you sell it that matters.

I never buy things worrying about the resale value, otherwise I'd be constantly thinking about damage, scratches, marks etc. Accidents do happen. It'd just ruin my experience of owning and enjoying the product.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the used prices of the 5x and 6p now they're no longer available from Google and their successors are in a higher price bracket...

Paul

Looks a very nice phone and I like the depth of field trick on the camera however those prices are crazy! Fact is android just don't hold value like Apple. That's one of the big reasons I'm with Apple as the resale value after a year or two is still very good so the cost of the phone over the ownership period is good. Be interesting to see what these are worth in 12 months time.

Google should have done this,they did similar with the the tablet.
Smaller bezels too.

330btll.png

Design is also 'meh' IMO, although pleased that it's got no camera bump.

Did you see the video of the announcement? The guy mentioned the lack of camera bump and had a little laugh to himself. No one watching even raised small chortle.

You now associate a camera bump to mean a good quality camera, so it'll be interesting to see how his one does. But if HTC's previous efforts are anything to go by, it's not going to worry Apple or Samsung.

No sweat off my nose , more than happy with the Samsung S series , had a nexus 4,5,6,6p in the past

Nexus 5 was the last true bang for buck nexus (in it's day )

Was that the LG one with the speckly glass back? Had that that one and loved it all apart from the camera. Best thing was I bought it off the Google store for whatever it was (cheap) and then it was released on T Mobile in the US and maybe T Mobile here but definitely someone over here too and they were selling the phone for £500 is? So when I traded it in I lost all of about £75 and trading it got me by far the most money!

The price of these is too high for me. Sorry, no, the price isn't too high, the value is too low.

I moved from Apple to Android years ago as I felt that Apple couldn't justify their prices against what other companies were charging. I hold to this view on the Pixel phones.

Did you see the video of the announcement? The guy mentioned the lack of camera bump and had a little laugh to himself. No one watching even raised small chortle.

You now associate a camera bump to mean a good quality camera, so it'll be interesting to see how his one does. But if HTC's previous efforts are anything to go by, it's not going to worry Apple or Samsung.
It will indeed be interesting to see how this plays out. I recall HTC scored well in the same benchmarks with their 10 but real world use has it an easy runner up/no contest to the established camera leaders.

If it as good as is being trailed, then it raises some questions as to why others can't or won't engineer out the bump.

But, I don't associate a camera bump with quality but of compromise. Not saying it's all bad but I still think a compromise is made for whatever reasons.

I have no doubt it's going to be a really nice phone and will be intrigued by Assistant and their product roadmap.

For better or worse, my entire life is now on Google's servers so I can definitely see myself buying one in the future but it has to tick a few more boxes and lose a few more £s before that happens.
There isn't much on Google servers that can't be accessed with Google's own apps on ios

There isn't much on Google servers that can't be accessed with Google's own apps on ios
You're right. I guess my poorly made point was that I am very much wrapped up in the Google ecosystem and would be a ready candidate for anything which enhanced that further.

My experience of Google services on Android is much more streamlined than iOS, naturally, because of the latter's inability to change default apps, as one example. I hated Siri with a passion and am loving how much easier it is to use Google Now, as another example. 'ok google' just works for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom