Google Pixel and Pixel XL Smartphone Review & Comments

Looking to pick one of these up to replace my S6 Edge. Seems nice. Although this is not a Nexus, I still have fond memories of my Nexus 4, the last handset I loved! (Must have been the fancy design on the back)

A couple of points. If you want to see the time with the phone on a table, press the sleep button. If you want to open it with in the same position (at home/ the office), set your house/ office as a Trusted Location. The phone will then remain unlocked whilst at those locations. You could also get a Wear device and set it as a Trusted Device and the phone will remain unlocked whilst in the presence of the Wear device.
There was no mention of the unlimited cloud storage Google are giving Pixel buyers for videos and pictures. That could really influence what level of storage a potential buyer would choose.
Battery life is different for everyone. For example, I charged my XL up when it arrived on Saturday and have only just had to put it on charge again this evening. For my usage, it's noticeably better than the Nexus 6p it replaced. I need to do a few more cycles but it could be up to 1/3rd better! I use mine with a Wear device that means I have Bluetooth on all day, this puts a notable strain on the battery.
Without writing a full review, I'd give the Pixel XL a 9 at least. It's the best Google phone so far (I've had the Nexus 4, 5 and 6p). And it's way more interesting than an iPhone (I've had a 3GS, 4G, 4GS and 5 and the wife has a 7 Plus that I've used). Google Assistance certainly has the potential to be more than a gimmick too!

Paul

Looking to pick one of these up to replace my S6 Edge. Seems nice. Although this is not a Nexus, I still have fond memories of my Nexus 4, the last handset I loved! (Must have been the fancy design on the back)
If you liked the Nexus 4, you'll love the Pixel. It's the next evolutionary step from the Nexus 6p which was an awesome phone. The Pixel is just slightly more grown up, slightly more stylish and slightly more modern.

Paul

There was no mention of the unlimited cloud storage Google are giving Pixel buyers for videos and pictures. That could really influence what level of storage a potential buyer would choose.l
Thanks for your comments Paul but the review does mention the cloud storage – "It’s worth mentioning here that Pixel phones come with what Google describes as unlimited free storage using Google Photo, including for 4K video, which can suck up storage space. This is a clever extra which over time is likely to prove useful compared to offers such as 5GB of free storage on iCloud from Apple" – and it is mentioned again in the conclusion.

Guys we'd very much appreciate you writing your own user reviews by following the link in the first post. Opinion from owners will help readers to make their own purchase decision. Thanks.

"Eye catching design" Haha LMAO yeah people will be surprised you've spent so much for something looking so bland and generic.. Not to mention the plain ugly rear.

There was no mention of the unlimited cloud storage Google are giving Pixel buyers for videos and pictures. That could really influence what level of storage a potential buyer would choose.

Yeah, so everybody can see you private pictures.. Ever heard of the fappening?
F++K cloud, and give me a microsd slot instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people have to have the latest and greatest, but I'm going to look at the Motorola moto g4, only £7 plus a sim. It goes on to the Internet, makes calls sends texts and takes pictures! That's what 95%of people use their phones for, why spend all that money?

A fine review sir and I think a fine looking phone.

Most people have to have the latest and greatest, but I'm going to look at the Motorola moto g4, only £7 plus a sim. It goes on to the Internet, makes calls sends texts and takes pictures! That's what 95%of people use their phones for, why spend all that money?

Ozzy, I'm with you...I used to get the latest and greatest but as I'm not a power user I stopped way back with the Galaxy SII, which I used for years until I got an Honor 7, which I think is a fantastic piece of kit for the money, I almost got the latest Moto G but stumped up the extra for this and think it's bloomin' marvellous.

Don't get me wrong, I always read the reviews with a hint of envy, I'd love a top end smartphone, S7 Edge or a Pixel XL but I just cannot justify the cost (I like to have a sim free device) and that extra cost doesn't seem to be worth it for me either, I mean....the Pixel 32G is £599, the Honor 7 is £209, is the Pixel really £390 better?

I wonder how much better this is against the Nexus 5X. More than double the price.

The Nexus 5X is the bargain of the century.

Looks to me to be 4 parts iPhone, 4 parts HTC phone, and 2 parts Google attitude.
You can see Google's brilliant influence in things like the lack of a camera bump (by making the whole top of the phone a camera bump).
Seems to me Google ordered appetizers, entrees, soups, and deserts at the HTC diner, saw the table full of food, and declared themselves master chefs.

Looks to me to be 4 parts iPhone, 4 parts HTC phone, and 2 parts Google attitude.
You can see Google's brilliant influence in things like the lack of a camera bump (by making the whole top of the phone a camera bump).
Seems to me Google ordered appetizers, entrees, soups, and deserts at the HTC diner, saw the table full of food, and declared themselves master chefs.
Could be worse. Could be a useless fashion accessory made by Apple.

I charged my XL up when it arrived on Saturday and have only just had to put it on charge again this evening. For my usage, it's noticeably better than the Nexus 6p it replaced. I need to do a few more cycles but it could be up to 1/3rd better! I use mine with a Wear device that means I have Bluetooth on all day, this puts a notable strain on the battery.
I charged my XL overnight on Monday and the battery is at 39% now. My usage isn't typical for me currently but it's clear the battery life of the XL is substantially better than my previous 6p, which was very good as it was. I'd get 1.5 days out of a charge with that phone consistently.

Paul

Paul

I think Paul raises an important factor here! Remember when text bundles were a thing? As soon as apps arrived, it became all about the data. I don't think i send texts anymore (iphone -say what you will). The future WILL be cloud everything and you'll pay a premium for it eventually. Capacities of phone storage will be irrelevant and it will be more about how well your phone interacts with the cloud and what cloud storage you get included. Google (& Apple) will no doubt capitalise on this more effectively when the time comes and the Pixel is their starting point. At present i don't know anyone that pays for extra cloud storage from Apple, but eventually manufacturers will strip back their device-based storage capacity to sell users virtual storage.

Just thought I'd have look at the comments for this and they seem positive.
I'm due to upgrade next month and probably going sim only so in the market for a new phone. Currently got a lumia 930, which is great, but I won't have this as an option this time.

Currently considering S7 edge or iphone 7 plus or pixel - the iphone and pixel obviously have a really high cost.

Is the 32gb too low storage on the pixel? I don't use even half my 32gb storage currently for anything as photo's to onedrive and spotify for music, Netflix for video.

Wireless charging is one option that might sway me.

Is the 32gb too low storage on the pixel? I don't use even half my 32gb storage currently for anything as photo's to onedrive and spotify for music, Netflix for video.
If you're usage doesn't change, 32GB should be ample. In the Pixel's instance, all photos and videos taken are backed up to Google's cloud storage.

Wireless charging is one option that might sway me.
The Pixel doesn't support wireless charging unfortunately. It's about the only thing I think Google missed a trick on, as they did on the Nexus 6p.

Paul

If you're usage doesn't change, 32GB should be ample. In the Pixel's instance, all photos and videos taken are backed up to Google's cloud storage.

The Pixel doesn't support wireless charging unfortunately. It's about the only thing I think Google missed a trick on, as they did on the Nexus 6p.

Paul

Samsung S7 edge does it thought doesn't it? Strange to omit that from the phone

"The Pixel phones come in 32GB and 128GB sizes, so you can decide up front whether you’re a heavy storage user or not… you just can’t change your mind after you’ve bought it."

Lack of a micro SD card slot is just daft at the price range.

There's been no SD card slot in a Google phone since the Nexus One so no-one should be surprised by there not being one in the Pixel.

They just don't fit, rightly or wrongly, with the way Google thinks a phone should be.

I'm very happy with my 32GB Pixel. I stream most things so don't see myself having any problems.

i wonder what the music player side is like i haven't seen anything mentioned about in any reviews

I'm using Spotify and it sounds just about the same as my S7 Edge did through the same earphones. Through the speaker it sounds as crappy in the same way all phones do.

Haven't used any other music apps.

Well my Pixel is winging it's way back tomorrow for a refund[emoji45]

Have been android for years and the Pixel really is a good phone; great camera, lightning fast, assistant will get better but the implementation of Bluetooth is a shambles.
I've had issues with 2 different Bluetooth speakers and the car is a bit of a disaster - not syncing contacts, no call history, dropping connection & stuttering music.

After doing a little research it would appear that I'm not alone but this is probably a Nougat thing rather than Pixel specific.

The only reason mine is being returned as it's within my "remorse" period - I'm going back to my Z3 and genuinely hoping that Google can sort it out as if they do I will be buying another one.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom