Google Pixel 6a Review & Comments

Am a big fan of Pixel phones. Currently using the 4a which has been excellent so will probably upgrade to this at some point. Great cameras, the perfect size, affordable, good performance...whats not to like?

Nice review but I disagree with the "Excellent value".

For that price, having only a 60 Hz screen, no wireless charging, plus the removal of headphone jack from the Pixel 5A, these are not insignificant. The Galaxy A53 or the Poco F3 for instance have very solid arguments for cheaper - the latter getting a bigger, brighter, better, faster screen, with a faster chip, etc.

So it's definitely interesting but I'd say its value is average at best.

There might be some like for like spec issues withe equivalent phones but after they chuck free buds in and people do a trade in this will look like a bit of a bargain in comparison. Some of the extra spec you get elsewhere might well be irrelevant for people who can save £100 or more in trade in and then sell the free buds.

My only cause for concern would be that the original Pixel 6 phones are buggy and really don't offer the flagship Android experience I was hoping for. It sounds like they've improved the finger print scanner but the software is going to be the same as the 6 and 6 Pro, so be mindful of that. Google haven't ironed out all of the problems yet and some features are still US only.

I have the P6P and I'm not sure I'd get another Pixel phone, it's been a disappointing few months, coming from the amazing Huawei P30 Pro.

but trades, deals and other personal combination does not make a price for Average Joe to go down.
Xperia I iv was a great deal for me because at the end it was some 800€ but that does not make that phone a great deal even with xm4 included. Also, this forum like many others is a place where ppl from different parts of the world come for info. Any many don't get those deals in their areas. Just like I can't get the same deal on amazon or they won't ship to my country.

but trades, deals and other personal combination does not make a price for Average Joe to go down.
Xperia I iv was a great deal for me because at the end it was some 800€ but that does not make that phone a great deal even with xm4 included. Also, this forum like many others is a place where ppl from different parts of the world come for info. Any many don't get those deals in their areas. Just like I can't get the same deal on amazon or they won't ship to my country.
But this is a UK based forum, so pointing out savings that can be made fairly easily locally are part of the value proposition. If you’re not able to do that then you have to judge the phone/review purely on its Specs and what your requirements are.

With trade-ins up to £200 and the free earbuds £175, the actual cost comes in alot lower.

But they won't trade in my Oneplus 8, only the 7, 7T & 8T, very strange.

So I guess I will have to get a 7 Pro later this year.

And it's too big for others.
1658477305701.png

I was torn between this and a 6, but ended up going for a 6 discounted to £450. I'll be trading in my 3a for £112, bringing the total price down to £338. I usually keep my phone for about 3 years, so happy with that.
I haven't personally experienced any bugs yet, and the fingerprint sensor has been fine, but I appreciate that this has not been the case for everyone.

My only cause for concern would be that the original Pixel 6 phones are buggy and really don't offer the flagship Android experience I was hoping for. It sounds like they've improved the finger print scanner but the software is going to be the same as the 6 and 6 Pro, so be mindful of that. Google haven't ironed out all of the problems yet and some features are still US only.

I have the P6P and I'm not sure I'd get another Pixel phone, it's been a disappointing few months, coming from the amazing Huawei P30 Pro.
This echoes my experience.
I've had a Pixel 2, 4 and now the 6 and this most recent iteration is the only one I've had where I've encountered this may bugs. In fact, I don't remember having a single issue on my Pixel 4 that wasn't my own fault.

The screen freeze and confusion between open apps might only be minor, 5 second inconveniences but when they're almost every day they start to annoy.
Without some concrete demonstration of improvement, I'd hold off on one of these.

My Pixel 5 has had a fair few bugs, I still get a bug now where Youtube music stutters and randomly will pause, play, pause, play, pause, play. Very annoying during a workout. I tested using the phones built in speakers and the music was downloaded to the phone, still happened the same. So it's not a Bluetooth issue or a buffering issue.

So yeah, definitely put off the Pixel experience again.

But this is a UK based forum, so pointing out savings that can be made fairly easily locally are part of the value proposition. If you’re not able to do that then you have to judge the phone/review purely on its Specs and what your requirements are.
but even then, not everyone can get the same deal. So again, you have to look at it from perspective of SRP.
And unless you really are into google ecosystem don't see how this one is better than Samsung A53. Which has 120Hz display, SD card, SW support from Samsung turns out as next best thing after google, a bit slower but still miles ahead of every other manufacturer.
Looking purely on HW side, there are many better phones in 400-500 price range than 6a or A53. Which does not make them better deals in the long run.

but even then, not everyone can get the same deal. So again, you have to look at it from perspective of SRP.
And unless you really are into google ecosystem don't see how this one is better than Samsung A53. Which has 120Hz display, SD card, SW support from Samsung turns out as next best thing after google, a bit slower but still miles ahead of every other manufacturer.
Looking purely on HW side, there are many better phones in 400-500 price range than 6a or A53. Which does not make them better deals in the long run.
But this always comes down to individual factors and priorities.

You say 400-500, that's a significant spread. What do you need to get in order for the top of your price range to be a better deal for you compared to the bottom? That will differ for everyone.

I've been thinking about going back to pixel from my Oneplus 7T pro but I would miss the fast charging too much. Although this is a great price especially when you throw in the free buds.

"Too small for some". 95% of phones these days are way too big for my tastes. I'm no apple fan, but at least they recognise not everybody wants the larger screens.

"Too small for some". 95% of phones these days are way too big for my tastes. I'm no apple fan, but at least they recognise not everybody wants the larger screens.
Yes I don't like these huge screen phones. Asus Zenfone 9 looks good 5.9 inch screen and a top of the range processor.

Good review. As a p6p user i would like to add that the dual sim experience is awful compared to my previous oneplus phone. There are so many bugs in this area that don't ever seem to come up in reviews.

Not wanting to go off topic too much, but I do feel that in the last 3 years the Android market has really suffered; some brands pulling out (LG) , others focussing on very niche handsets (Sony), leaving Samsung as the flag bearer against Apple. I was hoping for more from the people who actually "run" Android. Xiaomi and Oppo seem to be producing decent phones though

well, the whole industry turned to marketing. 80% of every review is about camera, another 10% is charging and then comes 120Hz display like it is a TV and not a 6" screen with smudges all over.
Nobody talks about skin differences or some specific apps that should make a difference.

I've ordered my 6a, hopefully coming tomorrow according to Google. I'm also getting £150 for my 4a as a trade in which made it even better. I like stock android and can't be bothered with brands that stick there own apps/software or skins over the top.

So it's not got a fancy screen or wireless charging, but if you have never had them before it makes no odds. For £250 and free buds I doubt there's many better deals out there.

I got notification from Royal Mail and then Google this morning that it had shipped. Google says it shipped yesterday but I doubt that. It should arrive tomorrow.

Would this be an improvement over a P30 Lite ?
Wife wants a new phone and likes my Pixel 5 so wants to jump in but not sure on this or the 6.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom