Google Pixel 5

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
So who's interested in the Google Pixel 5?

Looks like it will be announced at an event on the 30th September - Device Announcement

Rumoured specs so far -

- Snapdragon 765G Processor (5G)
- 8gb of Ram
- 128GB Storage
- 6inch Full HD OLED Display
- 90hz refresh rate
- 4000mah battery

Apparently it will be cheaper than the Pixel 4 was launched at, possibly in the £650 region.

For me it's definitely on the list depending on cost/performance ratio compared to Pixel 4a/4a 5G

Edit: updated link and added screen size rumour information

20200914_185956.jpg

Last edited:

dts197

Distinguished Member
The link provided states 5.8" for the 5, not 6".

I'd usually be interested in a new Pixel but if all they're offering is one size at 5.8", that's a definite no. Would be really poor from Google to not offer 2 sizes.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
The link provided states 5.8" for the 5, not 6".

I'd usually be interested in a new Pixel but if all they're offering is one size at 5.8", that's a definite no. Would be really poor from Google to not offer 2 sizes.

I just wanted to share some renders and information but the newer rumours are 6 inches for the Pixel 5 and the 4a 5G at 6.2 inches

Pixel 5 Specs

20200914_185956.jpg

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Still think it's a poor move only offering one size of this year's 5.

Yeah perhaps, personally I have an S8 with a 5.8 inch screen and it's fine for me, I don't really want a much bigger phone to have in my pocket. There's always the 4a 5G with its rumoured 6.2 inch screen. It's horses for courses :)

dts197

Distinguished Member
Yeah perhaps, personally I have an S8 with a 5.8 inch screen and it's fine for me, I don't really want a much bigger phone to have in my pocket. There's always the 4a 5G with its rumoured 6.2 inch screen. It's horses for courses :)
Except the 4a 5G is based on last year's Pixel. I think it's clear that Google don't have a clue which way they want to take the Pixel line. Adding Face Unlock which was superior to Face ID on iPhone one year and removing it the next is just one example.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Except the 4a 5G is based on last year's Pixel. I think it's clear that Google don't have a clue which way they want to take the Pixel line. Adding Face Unlock which was superior to Face ID on iPhone one year and removing it the next is just one example.

It's not though, it's just named the 4a 5G. It appears you have no intention of getting a Pixel and it's not for you, that's fair enough :)

dts197

Distinguished Member
It's not though, it's just named the 4a 5G. It appears you have no intention of getting a Pixel and it's not for you, that's fair enough :)
Well that doesn't make any sense to release an "a" model and put it on par with the current top of their line does it?

And I'm a big fan of Pixels, so maybe don't assume I have no intention of getting one.

dts197

Distinguished Member
Okay, well I don't believe they will, we'll soon find out. Probably leak in full in the next week or so knowing Google.
This is actually the first time for a while we've not known everything about the Pixel. Too many contradictions on size, naming etc. Far cry from last year when Google posted an actual photo months before.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
This is actually the first time for a while we've not known everything about the Pixel. Too many contradictions on size, naming etc. Far cry from last year when Google posted an actual photo months before.

The Pixel 4a leaked pretty much everything months before it came out. Only things not really nailed down on the 5 is screen size, which is a big thing, ram amount isn't 100% either. Processor is locked down I think though.

lee667

Distinguished Member
I haven't pulled the trigger on getting a 4a as I want to compare it to the 5 just see if it justifies the extra money. If the 5 is going to be £300 or so extra it will need a semi premium finish, some extra camera goodies, maybe wireless charging and the extra ram.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
I haven't pulled the trigger on getting a 4a as I want to compare it to the 5 just see if it justifies the extra money. If the 5 is going to be £300 or so extra it will need a semi premium finish, some extra camera goodies, maybe wireless charging and the extra ram.

No that's fair, I feel the same. The Pixel 4a ticks a lot of boxes for me, but the 765G rumoured to be in the 5 is tempting seeing as I'm planning on keeping it for a few years if I can. Although so say there's already the 4a 5G with the same 765G processor. Be interesting how it all turns out.

152bobby

I can't see me switching from my Pixel 4 to the 4a or 5. Just not enough incentive to do so and the 4 does everything that I want it to.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
I can't see me switching from my Pixel 4 to the 4a or 5. Just not enough incentive to do so and the 4 does everything that I want it to.

No tbh there probably isn't, other than battery life on the 4 (non xl) not being amazing, the 5 will probably be a big step up there and 5G which I don't think is a must have right now. 4 still has plenty of life in it, performance and software support wise.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I have a 3XL and love it.
No reason whatsoever to change from it for the foreseeable future and I have zero interest in any other brand of Android phone.
The Pixel 4 was just a mistake :(
I thought the 5 might be something to consider at some future point, even a second hand one in the future, but there is no XL version apparently, so that's ruined.
Perhaps a 6XL then ?

I'd go for a 7" phone instantly :)

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
I have a 3XL and love it.
No reason whatsoever to change from it for the foreseeable future and I have zero interest in any other brand of Android phone.
The Pixel 4 was just a mistake :(
I thought the 5 might be something to consider at some future point, even a second hand one in the future, but there is no XL version apparently, so that's ruined.
Perhaps a 6XL then ?

I'd go for a 7" phone instantly :)

The Pixel 4a 5G is rumoured to be 6.2 inches and with a hole punch display rather than a huge notch on the 3XL. Personally for me, I like a phone around 6inches.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
The Pixel 4a 5G is rumoured to be 6.2 inches and with a hole punch display rather than a huge notch on the 3XL. Personally for me, I like a phone around 6inches.

Well, if you are happy with 6 inches, then I'm happy for you.
Personally an extra inch would make a big difference and I'd jump on it if Google offered it.

5G is, pretty much all hype right now, with it often being slower than 4G.
It has interesting potential, but feel we're quite a few years away from anything useful.
It's odd, as I recall all the huge notch issues with the 3XL but i must be honest, it's not even something that resisters in my mind.
I have made my own wallpaper which makes the notch invisible and I use dark mode whenever I can anyway, so it's genuinely a non issue.

Actually I'd be totally happy to not have a selfie camera at all.
Never used one, and don't want one.
Shame no one has the guts to release some good phones without camera's on the front.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Thought I'd take a photo to show what I mean about size.....

This is a Pixel 3XL with it's supposedly GIANT 6.3" screen with me holding it.

3c2dd839e755177220e4b70136af2257.jpg

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Thought I'd take a photo to show what I mean about size.....

This is a Pixel 3XL with it's supposedly GIANT 6.3" screen with me holding it.

3c2dd839e755177220e4b70136af2257.jpg

Personally I think the 5 will be a good upgrade from that, smaller bottom chin, hole punch instead of a big notch, more ram.

Ps, I think you have some big hands :eek: :p

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Personally I think the 5 will be a good upgrade from that, smaller bottom chin, hole punch instead of a big notch, more ram.

Ps, I think you have some big hands :eek: :p

Sure, I just don't want to go smaller.

Big hands? Well I'll be happy to test them around your neck anytime :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom