Google Pixel 5/4a5G Bose Promotion issues

dave77

Prominent Member
Reaction score
When the Pixels were release in October they offered a free pair of Bose QC 35 II headphones when bought from a specific retailer. Has anyone actually successfully received their headphones, they seem to be trying everything to get out of sending me them to me.

I bought my Pixel 5 from Currys on the day of release and submitted my claim for the headphones 14 days later, sending them the receipt and IMEI number as requested. The claim was accepted and it stated up to 6 weeks for delivery so all good. Last week I checked the status of the claim and it said I had been emailed asking for more information, I'd not received an email so contacted them and they sent it again. The email asked for the following
Please also provide a delivery/collection document showing the delivery/collection date, product and retailer name/logo together. You can also provide a picture of the parcel number from your Currys dispatch notification email combined with the Currys order number.

Luckily, I had kept all the emails so had the above information, so sent it to them, then I get...
Please provide your device IMEI as seen on the box your device came in.

Already sent them that originally. So took a picture of the box including IMEI label, send them that, then i get...
Could you please provide a pdf document (e-receipt) of the proof of purchase?

Currys do attach PDF receipts to the emails so I sent them that, then I get...
Could you please provide the pdf invoice provided from the retailer?

Now I don't have that, I paid online for the phone and got a receipt, Currys didn't send an invoice. I'm not sure what to do next!

Last edited:
Dave77
I am getting very similar, the latest is they want the delivery note which I haven't got.
I have now emailed them this afternoon attaching a photo of the phone's 'about' page. I have also listed what I have already sent them and that is plenty evidence that I have actually purchased and received the phone. I said this is feeling like a con and please advise when I will be receiving my headphones.
I don't know if they think by doing this people will get fed up and give up.

That’s an absolute pee take that is! The amount of things they keep asking for, it’s like their trying to desperately find a piece of info, or a document you don’t have, so that they don’t have to send you the head phones :facepalm:

I too received an email saying my claim was accepted back in October, but thought I would follow up as it was getting close to 60 days. I made contact using their online 'contact us' page and then received an email back telling me that the email I originally received, telling me my claim was successful, was actually erroneous! They asked me to take a photo of the box/IMEI number, which I did and now will wait to see what happens.
I only bought the phone for the Bose headphones and am more than ready to take Google to the small claims court if they try to wiggle out of their end of the deal.

I sent them an email on Friday afternoon, asking for a detailed explanation as to why they were asking for information that was not listed in the original terms. They approved it an hour later! Well, approved it again, for now.

@dave77 Could I ask what email address you used to contact Google or their delivery service? I got an acceptance note on their website on Nov 6th but no email. It tells me all good and sit tight but its 9th Jan now and no headphones or comms. In the scheme of things its only mildly frustrating but any thoughts would be appreciated from anyone on this thread.

@dave77 Could I ask what email address you used to contact Google or their delivery service? I got an acceptance note on their website on Nov 6th but no email. It tells me all good and sit tight but its 9th Jan now and no headphones or comms. In the scheme of things its only mildly frustrating but any thoughts would be appreciated from anyone on this thread.
The email I used was
[email protected]
Although they do respond within 24 hours, the response is the same which is that your claim has been validated and you will get an email when the headphones are being dispatched.
I have informed BBC Watchdog and I'm hoping they might start an investigation to determine how may people have actually received the headphones and how many are still waiting.
[/URL]

It's frustrating that a global billion dollar company with endless resources can't fulfill it's end of the deal. I can accept delays, but being kept in the dark is very poor customer service.

To be honest, I wouldn't have bought the phone without this deal. I'll give them a few more weeks.

Thanks @dave77 and @Raz Star. My claim was validated on 6th Nov (date not changed, yet), which is 74 days ago from today. I'm called the number of the bottom of that form ( 03330 165539 ) but no surprises that there was no update or human to speak to. Do we know of anyone who has received this headphones?

Same here, I never received the mail asking for more information but their system says so. Perhaps it ended in spam, they say under terms and conditions is my responsability and that now is too late. No help from OPIA customer support nor Google Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
By coincidence (or does Google read this forum??) I've had a reply from the email address listed above. They have asked for proof of purchase (already supplied but sent again) and proof of the IMEI number of the Pixel 5, so went photo (taken with the Pixel 5) of the box. But at least some development. And we know humans are still reading those emails. Good luck all.

Yeah mine went to spam initially. How long do they say you have to respond.....this is from one of my emails

You'll need to get this information to us within 7 days from the date you received of this email. If you don't, your claim will be automatically cancelled and you'll have to submit a new claim.

So we get confirmation that it's approved and get told to wait 60 days max. We wait patiently whilst they send us emails from an account that is clearly flagged as spam. If we do not respond then the claim is cancelled.

Google 🖕

Unfortunately glad to see that I'm not alone with issues receiving my reward! I managed to get my reward approved quite quickly and shipped too but, I never received it! You may ask how? Well I received an email from Google that it was dispatched to DHL the courier. After that email it was radio silence from Google or DHL for ten days and don't worry I thoroughly checked my junk mail too. Me being curious to where the hell it was I email Google explaining I've not received any email from DHL regarding tracking.

Google chased this and provided me with a consignment number which happened to be already delivered three days prior to my email to Google. It was delivered to a name provided by DHL as "The Martin's" at a postcode several miles from my house. I called DHL giving the consignment number which didn't correlate with my name and address, but when I explained what the content of the delivery was they confirmed " the delivery was made to the wrong address and the driver will try to retrieve it" (Note: Google did verify that I didn't provide a wrong address and they don't know what's happened)

As you could probably guess the driver never could retrieve the package and would "investigate the matter" weeks go by during them I'm constantly calling DHL and Google for an explanation no one will tell me anything due to data protection. After a month and a half I finally get a response from Google that another pair will be sent out once I signed a denial of receipt, which could involve police investigation.

Another month goes by and nothing, I've emailed chasing it and alls I get in return is sorry we are working hard to sort it for you. Sorry for the long post but needed to put it out somewhere.
Thanks J.

Wow, @Jbalc99 given your story I'll not labour the frustration of mine!

I do appreciate that online deliveries have been made more difficult by the lockdown etc but this does seem to be a woefully organised (& poorly funded?) exercise from Google. And it would be pleasant if we had a reply to this thread from someone in a position of responsibility in Google UK's marketing team (and yes that is a challenge if you are reading this).

Looks like a company called Opia are running the promotion.
Available in the UK, Ireland, Germany and France for residents aged 18 or older; while stocks last.
I bet we all get an email soon saying all stock has already been allocated!

I purchased directly from the UK Google store in November 2020. I supplied ALL requested documentation on the FIRST POSSIBLE DAY I could! Validation did not happen. I waited and I waited. I read some forums including this one so I rang. After several attempts I got through to a lady with an African accent. She requested the additional documents referred to by others (phishing/identity/promotion theft?) I sent immediately and very quickly I was validated (11th December 2020). I waited and checked the 'official' webpage entering my details - no change. I repeated this for 4 weeks - no change. I tried to ring again - impossible to speak with anyone as you get sent back to main menu.
I have complained and emailed the CEO of the parent company that owns Google - zero reply? I have contacted the Google Store who keep trying to 'off' their responsibility to some third party agent of theirs? I remind them that it is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY! They repeatedly tell me they are the ORDER Department and they can do nothing as if they is (1) Acceptable and (2) The End of the Matter? I have requested the initiation of a return of my phone and a full refund as it is clear to me that either the PROMOTION IS/WAS A FRAUD or they have not fulfilled the contract.
Personally my nose tells me the Promotion company staff are up to something? Not sure whether this is so or not but it is clear we are NOT RECEIVING our promotion item? Even the 60 day delay after two other statutory imposed delay periods indicates something odd?
I will continue to report what happens.
Awaiting a reply to my refund/return request. I am disgusted how Google are treating me as a customer and although invested fairly heavily in its online software systems etc I am able to reverse out of this and have contingency. I will also lobby my MP to support motions aimed at curtailing Googles power in the internet and tax status particularly. This is where it is best to target them as these large US multinationals love money.
Over to the rest of you.

Looks like a company called Opia are running the promotion.

I bet we all get an email soon saying all stock has already been allocated!
I get that feeling and feel it is likely. We should not give up and the original offer is a contract with published inducements. The question is would you have bought if the headphones were not offered? In my case certainly NOT! I followed everything to the letter at the first possible moment so must be getting the headphones else they would have run-out before and know they were running out before the offer as an inducement ended? They know how many they have sold under this offer so cannot run-out unless Bose stop manufacturing them and then they must recompense us to the same value. There is no legal defence to this.

I'm just wondering how much longer I should wait before issuing a claim in the small claims court. It would be interesting just to see what their Defence would be...

Hello Raz,
Yes but before you do that ensure you send a tracked and recorded email to Google or whoever you purchased from (as they are responsible). Then make a consumer case online you will be supplied with a case number and offer to go to resolution as this shows your willingness to discuss and come to some agreement. This costs zero and is quick. Then subject to no replies and/or satisfactory resolution (to your satisfaction and within the law which the consumer people will advise you on) you will be fully armed with an indefensible and successful case. Demand your money back and remember if you paid via credit card then if Google do not respond that your credit card company is equally responsible (purchases over £100) so go to them. I have used this and the credit card company contacted the company I was having issues with (WEX) and the following day a manager called me and sent a new £1100 item!

Thanks @Dumbmarine. I purchased my phone from Amazon.co.uk who usually have excellent customer services. I'll start the process and keep you updated.

The key thing here is to get mad but also get even. Never let them get away with it as it is despondency they rely on. The law is useless at protecting consumers and worse at supporting them. The companies know they have your money so you are not needed anymore. Post extensively rubbishing them in clear, believable and sensible ways to influence other buyers to shy away. Post bad but honest reviews they hate that. I have been offered cash inducements (only this week and only a £5) to change my reviews. If they offer enough take the money but do not give a good review just slightly better unless they fully address your issue.

GET MAD and GET EVEN. NEVER FORGET.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom