Google Pixel 4a

I had the P30 which I have now passed on to the wife as her P10 was playing up.

Cheers, looks like the p30 has a 3600mah battery, or there abouts, so is bigger. I opted to get a pixel 5 yesterday as that has a battery just over 4000mah. My wife has a galaxy a71 which has a 4500mah battery and she hammers the hell out of it daily and she still has 60% battery left at the end of the night.

Just took delivery of this yesterday morning after my 4 year old Samsung S7e died the day before (still fully dead). Ordered for £349 from CPW with a tenner cashback via TCB. Transferred over my 3 SIM and the set up was frickin' fast. All my apps on it in no time. Spent most of my time re-authenticating my many banking/payment apps.

Nice index finger unlocking on rear sensor - had to change from right to left after realising that wasn't too clever as a right-hander.

Didn't start charging after unboxing and intense use until late evening.

Be interested in what you think coming from a Samsung,.I am thinking of making the switch from a J5 2017 to this.

Be interested in what you think coming from a Samsung,.I am thinking of making the switch from a J5 2017 to this.

you'll have no bloatware on the 4a compared to a samsung. I was fiddling with my wifes a71 the other day and struggled, bixby is just rubbish and just don't like the skin/ui they use coupled with the amount of crap they put on there that you can't uninstall.

Yeah part of the reason for wanting to change is there are quite a lot of apps I dont want or use that cannot be removed taking up memory

I was getting fed up with the Samsung, was slowing down, more frequently freezing and rebooting (last time it froze, it never rebooted fully again, just buzzed, the logos appeared, then fizzled out and fade to black - RIP), regular update notifications of all that bloatware and I'd filled up internal and external memory (64Gb); still properly cleaned it, removing junk regularly, but it was on its last legs. This doesn't have the option of external memory which isn't a problem for me as it's more than double the total of before.

Last edited:
Mines been ok but any time I try and update it or install apps I get a message telling me I have no space. Mine is just 16gb internal but I have a 32gb sd card. Battery is pretty good on mine what's the Pixel like? 128gb should be ok for me

Currently charging phone for the second time, I think it's been plugged in about an hour ...

Screenshot (9 Oct 2020 10_01_31 pm).png

So far (based on one charge from empty around this time yesterday) I'd say I'm getting just over 24 hours.

Just ordered this cheapo but seemingly reasonable quality case (range of colours available), was hoping for a genuine leather one from Snakehive, who I've been a customer of, but they've decided not to cater for the Pixel 4a at this moment.

Amazon product ASIN B08FRHGY4M

Last edited:
Cheers for that. Couple of questions
What's the video capability like, does it have IS, easy to use, decent quality like the camera? Also does it have a notification light & aod?
Thanks
Haven't taken any video yet, but the camera's software has some kind of IS apparently. It does appear easy to use though. No notification light and I haven't delved into the menu system to find aod but I would guess it's in there somewhere.
Using the 'phone as a 'phone, connection to a number is instant. Much, much quicker than my Huawei, and conversations seem much clearer.
It also seems to be picking up my wifi signal at home a lot better too. On many occasions my P30 would lose connection and switch over to 4G but the new one hasn't done that at all so far.
One thing I wish all 'phones had, which my P30 had but this one doesn't seem to.
I could time my P30 to switch off at 10pm and come back to life at 7am the following morning. A handy feature as I've got a home phone that I'll answer in an emergency, and it saved battery life on my handset. I mean, what's the point of having the phone switched on while I'm asleep??? I've got an alarm clock to wake me up if necessary and any texts or emails I receive overnight I'm quite happy to catch up with in the morning.
Again, I haven't delved into the menus thoroughly, and this option might be in there after all. But if it is, I haven't seen it yet.
But still exploring, and still happy.
It's still a big :lesson: from me so far.

Last edited:
battery/charging update ...

Screenshot (10 Oct 2020 11_31_04 pm).png

Got away with no phone charging at all today, and probably not until tomorrow morning, which will be the third charge. Above average use due to a fair amount of shopping with use of a few payment/loyalty card apps and Bluetooth on for car and NHS contact tracing app.

EDIT - Sunday 9.28am update ...
(phone never turned off overnight)

Screenshot (11 Oct 2020 9_28_03 am).png

So, it's still going, not been charged for about a day and a half

Last edited:
I really do like this phone!

Btw that case I ordered was delivered yesterday and does what it says on the tin. Phone fits securely into the holder, which is fixed securely to the case. The holder has the buttons functioning fine and the rear cutouts on the case are precisely aligned with the camera and index finger sensor.

I never usually bother with a screen protector with 'wallet' style cases like this, and this is no exception - the screen and phone are well protected, and I keep a little microfibre cloth inside the wallet (have loads from old screen protector packs) for the occasional quick clean.

just noticed the power button is mint/blue/turquoise coloured... why do they do this I like no frills phones (basic black or black/chrome)

One other thing, I am used to 3 button navigation (Samsung J5 2017) but all the newer phones seem to use the whole screen & also use gesture control, is there an option like on some of the later phones (wife has a Samsung A20) to use 3 button instead on the Pixel 4a?

The one thing I was finding difficult with the new phone compared to the Huawei was the "gesture" mode for navigation. Totally alien to me, and was having a helluva job every now and then.
Have now changed it to three button navigation and it's much, much better. For me at least.

The one thing I was finding difficult with the new phone compared to the Huawei was the "gesture" mode for navigation. Totally alien to me, and was having a helluva job every now and then.
Have now changed it to three button navigation and it's much, much better. For me at least.

Yeah it's a little different to my S8 with the first version of one UI. Swipe from the left or right edge for back, up swipe for home, up and hold for your task manager and from bottom corners for Google assistant. It's good that you have the option to have the 3 button navigation though. I imagine that's what my mum will go with too.

Instant device recognition and reasonably fast data transfer with the supplied USB-C (power) cable, plugged straight into my laptop, with my nearly full 64Gb microSD card I used in my old phone in the SD slot.

Everything transferred in under 10 minutes, with loads of internal memory left. EDIT ... wasn't the full 64Gb, about half transferred here, the rest still on the card (which is now in my newly promoted Fire 8, now a pretty reasonable Android tablet after changing the device permissions and downloading the various APKs to get Google Play and thus all the proper apps on it).

Screenshot_20201013-124158.png

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom